Should the U.S. have held onto the Philippines after World War II?

• Philippines would benefit

The withdrawal of the U.S. led to assumption of unchecked power by the Filipino elites and the general misgovernment of the country. It boggles the mind that at the end of WW2 the Philippines was wealthier and had more going for it (English widely spoken, a large population better educated than their Southeast Asian neighbors) and yet managed to become a place with rampant poverty, corruption on all levels and economic decay. Independence was the idea of the elites and they benefited handsomely from it. The poor man got nothing (except maybe a few pesos to buy his vote at election time). Puerto Rico, the other territory that came to the U.S. after the Spanish-American War did much better with commonwealth status. Enough said.

• Yes, the U.S. should have kept the Philippines.

The United States of America should have kept the Philippines after World War II. This would have given the U.S. a far wider reach amongst the world. It would give the U.S. more people to tax and it would increase the economy as a result. The Philippines should have never been let go.

• It would have been strategic.

Yes, the U.S. should have held onto the Phillippines after World War II, because we would have been able to use it as a military base. Also, the countries that we manage do well, for example Puerto Rico. We could have done a lot to bring in the Phillippines into the first world.

• They can be on their own

I don't think that the US needed to retain the Philippines after World War II. Their culture is so vastly different than our own and they are doing well on their own. I don't think owning the Philippines would have made us tactically stronger in the region either. They are good.

• Shouldn't Hold On

No, I do not believe the US should have held onto the Philippines after World War II. I believe it is wrong for the US to maintain its power over areas that are not the United States. I do not believe the United States should look for ways to expand.

• No, the USA shouldn't have kept the Philippines.

I do not think that the USA should have held unto the Philippines after World War 2. I do not see any reason why the United States of America should have kept the Philippines after the war. There was nothing beneficial for the United States to keep the Philippines after World War 2.