Should the U.S. have 'open' prisons like those in Scandinavia?

• US should follow Scandinavian example

Well, what we're doing isn't working, is it? So, we need to try a different approach. I recently heard someone say "Compassion is the new radicalism" and I think its true, time to change our approach to everything or this possibly sinking ship is going to founder. If we develop a compassionate view rather than a punitive one, it could help turn the tide. Enough cliche's in this argument for you? Lol

• US should follow Scandinavian example

• Yes the U.S. should have open prisions

The way that Scandinavia runs its prisons is a prime example of how things should be done. The prisoners are told to either work or study in order to enhance and change themselves for the better, and everything they want they actually have to pay for instead of how America does it where they get three square meals a day no matter what.

• Violent prisoners shouldn't be allowed to leave for any reason.

We incarcerate prisoners because they pose a threat to
    society. In wouldn’t make sense to put
    them in prison if they are just allowed to leave anytime they want. I believe that if someone is convicted of a
    violent crime, they should have to serve the majority of their sentence before
    they even get a chance to go before the parole board. And, I think they shouldn’t be allowed to
    leave for any reason other than maybe the burial of their parents.