Should the U.S. have used torture to find Osama bin Laden?

• The temporary pain of one individual does not outweigh hundreds if not thousands of lives

Do you think he gave a rats butt about the nearly 3,000 people who died that day? Heck no he didn't. Do you think justice was served here? Absolutely. People whose main goal in life is to kill as many people possible shouldn't be allowed human rights, call me heartless, but it's the truth.

• Pay for his punishments.

He should be tortured so that is his punishment for his crimes such as terrorism, and genocide!
    He also was meaning to kill heroes in the world such as the George W. Bush (in the plans of 9/11), the great pope John Paul the Second. The one who killed them shouldn't have captured them and bring them to interrogation and after it he must be TORTURED.

• Yes! I think so.

I believe if a person's involvement in the case is shaky. One should refrain from advanced interrogation techniques (aka torture) But, if someone is trying to stop the capture of Osama Bin Laden then they have the option to tell someone at any given moment. And if they persist in trying to protect such horrible people, they have probable committed quite a few cruelties already. It's not like hurting innocent people. It's not as though the CIA pickup random people off the street and start torturing them.

• You people are so ignorant

First off, Osama Bin Laden would not have not have been caught if not for the methods used. Second one of the only reasons we found him was because of the torture that was used. These people were not innocent they were terrorists, if it took any longer to find him more catastrophes would have occurred. After finding and executing him they found plans he had to destroy the memorial building that was being built where the World Trade Center had been and tons of more Americans would have died. Does the well being of a few terrorists who have sworn loyalty to Al Qaeda outweigh the lives of 1000s of Americans to you? I certainly hope not.

Posted by: fds
  • Torture Is Not Okay

I do not believe torture is right, therefore I do not think we should have used torture, not even to find Osama bin Laden. I believe it is best to treat others as you would hope to be treated if you were in a similar situation. Furthermore, we have signed and agreed to conventions that say we agreed not to torture people.

• Torture A Bad Idea to Find Bin Laden

Even though torture, or enhanced interrogation methods, helped the United States find Osama Bind Laden, such actions were unjustified. Bin Laden may have helped kill thousands of Americans, but using torture on numerous individuals to find him was an unethical action. The country could have found him through other means.

• US Was Right Not to Use Torture to Find Bin Laden

No, the U. S. should not have used torture to find Osama bin Laden. Torture is never excusable in any circumstance. To cause the sort of pain and suffering that torture inflicts is madness and should never be condoned. Therefore, the U. S. should not have used torture to find Osama bin Laden.

• The US should abide what rules it can.

Torture is against the rules of warfare so the USA should try to avoid having to use it. They should be able to find the man based on the strength of their soldiers and the technology at their disposal, so torture should not be used or should be used as a last resort.

• Lets not lower ourselves.

I am very happy I did not hear of any stories of the U.S. actually using such torture techniques to find Osama Bin laden. Even though I think this could have worked and we could have very well have found him quicker, we do not need to lower ourselves to such standards.

• Torture is for Inhumane People

Torture is not justifiable. This is true even in the case of supervillains like Osama Bin Laden. If a government begins to authorize torture, it will rationalize it as justifiable in extreme instances. Then, those instances will become more and more commonplace until torture of anyone who disagrees with the government becomes acceptable.

• The U.S. should never use torture.

Not only has it been proven that torture rarely works (when faced with pain and suffering, you will do whatever you can to get out of it), but it is also a gross violation of human rights and an overly antiquated practice. If we really want to consider ourselves the most advanced and “best” country on the planet, we need to stop our numerous human rights abuses.

• No the U.S. should not have used torture to find Osama bin laden.

The U.S. would just be wasting resources and time to spend it torturing anybody to find Osama bin Laden. Any person that may have had information about Osama would probably have been a member of a fanatical group of associated with one in some way. Members of terrorist groups are trained not to give up information. I just don't see how it would be a way to get correct information quickly.

• NO

Torture is downright cruel, and should seldom be used by US officers. We are better than this. We can simply use our technological advances to finish the job we so desire. Torture is inhumane, and will show the other countries we are weak cowards like they are by stooping so low as to commit torture acts.

• No They Shouldn't Have

I do not believe in torture. It's one of the worse things you could do to someone. Did Osama Bin Laden cause a lot of trouble? Of course he did. I just don't think that two wrongs make a right. I'd rather just see him get the death penalty. There was no need for torture in that situation or any situation in my opinion.