Should the U.S. institute the draft for military service?

• Yes if we need it

I think that they should if we need the soldiers. If we are doing fine with the people we have that just sign up on their own than we should leave it alone. If we get into a situation like we had with Vietnam than I think that the draft should be reinstated.

• It stimulates the economy.

Instituting a draft would stimulate the economy because everyone would have a job. It would also force Americans to band together instead of sitting around unemployed and bickering of civil unrest. Instituting a draft would also reduce population and stimulate productivity. Instituting a draft would solve the healthcare, unemployment, homeless and poverty dilemmas we now face.

• Of Course We Should

The current state of affairs on this rock require that we must have a diverse military and a discipline for our youngest adult generation. They need to know the values and understand that freedom is NOT free. By doing this we will also rid our military of the contractors that burden the budget and squeeze power out of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

• Yes we should.

America, as a whole, needs to be connected to the military and share the burden. Plus, ISIS has made themselves the embodiment of evil and they cannot be allowed to flourish. The only way is to fully commit to defeating them. We should not fall away from this duty. I would enlist again if I weren't too old. I also think young adults will benefit from military service in a way that is not available in our current society.

• Because it sucks being disqualified even when i want to serve this great country

Americans should be drafted for the military because it should be every americans responsibility to fight and to serve this country........ Only 1% serve, and that percentage should be higher, a lot higher, many americans have their opinions on the military and the war effort, but they still choose not to serve.......

• Bring back the draft.

Based on the quality and character of many young men these days, I think we could use a draft. A little time spent in service of the military and the country might do wonders for people from different backgrounds learning to cooperate with each other, emphasize teamwork and develop real leadership skills.

• Yes we should

Two reasons. First, a draft would democratize American foreign policy. Bush would have had a far more difficult time convincing the American people to invade Iraq if everyone know their sons or daughters would potentially be involved in the conflict. Second, currently there is a 0.5% portion of American society which is career military. We are taking advantage of them by making them spend in some cases five years of their lives deployed. A draft would alleviate this issue and allow them to spend more time with their children.

• No, we should not institute the draft.

We cannot force people to do things against their will, especially if it involves bodily harm or even death. There are plenty of people who are willing to commit to military service of some sort. I know we have had a draft in the past, but I feel that it is unethical now.

• Violation of Freedom!

Did everyone forget their American History. Many early immigrants to the United States settled here to escape conscription in Europe. It's a violation of individual freedom. It wasn't used in the American Revolution when the country's independence was at stake. Its a disgrace to a nation that boasts freedom at every turn. If we didn't want to play "king of the mountain" in the world we wouldn't need it either. It is also discriminatory because it excludes women. It is a violation of American values because it says one gender's individual freedom and life is worth less than the other. How many draftees were involuntarily taken from their homes and had their lives destroyed or ruined in Viet Nam and Iraq? Oh what a disgrace!

• To What Purpose?

The US has already fomented war in Ukraine and created Al Qaeda and ISIS. Why would we make everyone in the US support the bankers' wars to institute central banks in every country. We have already alienated our country with a limited military force. Certainly we will create a war against China and Russia due to our destroying of the US dollar but why would we give the globalists more human lives to use as pawn in their own quest for power?

• This is not a choice

Some people do not want to fight in the army. Let alone be forced to. I would hate being forced to join the army in the war. I do not want to die. I would like to stay with my family, and live to be old. Not many people survive those wars.

• Outdated

Conscription is a way of raising a large army fairly quickly, but it has a lot of problems. The morale of people who don't want to serve is going to be a lot lower, and more time and money will need to be spent on training these "not quite suitable" soldiers. Depending on who can and cannot be drafted, it may be a sexist or racist policy, as well, which is another good reason to get rid of it.

• No, the U.S. should not institute a draft for military service.

No, I don't believe that the U.S. should institute a draft for military service. First of all, a draft would be absolutely unncessary because we already have a huge number of servicemen and women who volunteer and sign up. Second, because some people are against war, like conscientious objectors, and should not be subject to a draft which would force them to participate in something they don't agree with.