• The amendment does not apply to a modern state in the 21st century.

Today, we do have an effective military and police power to protect our rights and enforce security measures. The only reason why someone could have a weapon is for hunting and sportsmanship. The idea that you own a weapon to protect yourself has opened the door to too many tragedies and the facts that USA is at the foreword of number of gun fatalities has to stop. Countries like Japan do have a very strict policy regarding guns ownership and gun violence is quasi inexistent. If people feel insecure it may be for other reasons that cannot be dispel by owning a gun, and these reasons, social, jobs, poverty... Need to be addressed first.

• Ask the people

There isn't really a referendum setup, but there should be a referendum on this. Ask the people what they think about it. As far as how people should vote, there are two options: either we hang on to the constitution for eternity - which obviously there is good reason for doing; or we can recognise that the destruction caused by guns is so great that it no longer should be considered a basic right.

• The 2nd Amendment is obsolete.

The NRA's consistent opposition to all reasonable gun control laws leaves the country with only one choice: the repeal of the 2nd amendment. No one with any knowledge of the founding fathers' intentions could argue in favor of this amendment or support the irresponsible actions of the NRA and their fear mongering.

• The 2nd Amendment is obsolete.

• The 2nd Amendment is obsolete.

• Yes, it must go for a safer America

The Second Amendment for too long has served as a strong base for the gun proliferation and easy gun access agenda of the gun profiteers camp led by the NRA traitorous leadership. They have flooded America with firearms and given gun access to nearly everyone, including dangerous people - hence the widespread bloodshed and frequent mass shootings that haunt America for so long. The American people should repeal it to defeat the power grip of the profiteering camp in Congress and impose sensible gun control laws to restore order and safety for America.

• The personal gun is nolonger needed in a modern society

The society will be much safer if all citizens give away their guns and rely on the law and the government for their protection. The only way to achieve a gun-free America is to repeal the outdated Second Amendment which gives gun access to the public - a very dangerous idea for a modern society, like the US, with millions of potentially dangerous people on the loose.

• The Second Amendment is outdated and dangerous to America

Through the extended individual right of bearing arms from The Second Amendment, bad people can have access to firearms and hence cause widespread bloodshed, horrible number of gun deaths and immense suffering for the American people. The ambiguous and obsolete Second Amendment should be repealed for a safer and more civilized America.

• Public doesn't need guns

We should invest all that savings into better communities, then there will be no need to protect oneself from thy neighbor. Plenty of countries do that, I see no reason why US is such a stick and wants to stand out. Leave the cowboy mentality in the 19th century, the new era is "smart" era not "I will shoot you" era :)

• Fearing one neighbour

Amend 2A and allow States to make their decision, including if they permit individuals to enter their state armed. You'll see changes for the good in the states that ban personal arms, and public opinion will evolve over time in the gun toting states. The argument about criminals is true for now, they will always find weapons but the policing of them will be much simpler if no one is permitted to have guns. Such a complex situation with gun manufacturers owning politicians and pollies pandering to right win nut jobs, but I see no way forward other than melting them down and banning future sales. The alternative is chaos and I wonder how many gun owners that are responsible, know what happens to their guns during the life of the guns, they are designed to kill and I don't understand how fearful you'd have to be to want to be a killer? I hope your family isn't impacted by this, I hope your child doesn't grow up to think owning a weapon is normal, guns are not a toy to be put in the hands of law abiding citizens. The US is now an outlier in the world, once considered civilized and is quickly becoming uncivilized.

• The rest will fall.

If we as a nation decide to repeal the 2ND Amendment, then the 1st Amendment falls, the 3rd Amendment falls, the 4th Amendment falls, the fifth Amendment falls and so on and so forth. The world's most notorious dictators throughout history have taken away guns from the citizens and then committed untold atrocities against the citizens, killing thousands upon millions of the citizens. Mao in China, Hitler in Germany, Stalin in Russia, and the list goes on.

• Not a solution.

Take away guns, then knives would become the weapon of choice. Take away knives, then a ball bat would become the weapon of choice. Take away ball bats.... My point being is that no matter what is deemed illegal the criminally insane will find a way to inflict harm or death. Remember, simple box cutters were used on 911, killing over 3000 people. I believe that when gun permit is applied for it should include a psychological evaluation along with MANDATORY training in the use firearms. Some states do not require that when applying for a permit. Just enforce the current laws in place now and get the illegal guns off the streets. My heart goes out to the families of the recent massacre victims but gangland killings of innocents, though the use of illegally acquire guns, far out number these instances. Taking the guns from law-biding citizens won't correct this problem.

• Who would ever give up their ability to defend themselves?

We live in a crazy world and I own a few guns for sport and self defense. I don't know any reason that I should be denied the right to protect myself. I know that there are enough guns in the world that you would never get them all so taking mine would put my family and myself in serious danger.

• Guns don't kill people.

The gun does not kill a human the man holding the gun does. But a gun isn't the only thing that can kill people. People are smart enough now to be able to build a bomb out of house hold items. Even if we do repeal the amendment people will still smuggle guns like they do with drugs. Guns also help protect people. If you have someone threatening to kill someone or even you. Someone with a gun could hurt or kill this person.

• Arms are good, firearms are bad

ARMS ARE GOOD. YOU CAND HOLD STUFF WITH ARMS, AND YOU CAN STRANGLE PEOPLE WITH ARMS. YOU CA NDETONATE BOMBS WITHARMS
    YOU CAN EwiuhauuhhHLAHGUSGHILHLJEKRHGIU WITH ARMS. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE YES AND DENY ME MY BASIC RIGHT TO ARMS! IF YOU DOI WILL FIND YOU, AND KILL YOU... MWAHHAHH HAA HAAAAA

• Why is this a thing?

Individuals should be able to do wat they want with their lives as long as they don't hurt others. I understand the debate on increasing background checks to keep prior felons from obtaining weapons but if you are a law abiding citzen you should be able to purchase a gun with the money you earned.

• Gay gay gay

Gay's like to suck each other willies and the often like to kiss each others bumholes. Often gays like to frot with each other. Which is where they rub their willies together. Gays are gayer than you think they are. And it makes me sick when i see two gays kiss.

• Guns don't kill people, laws do

Law abiding citizens would be left as easy prey to the criminals who obviously won't pay any mind to a law against gun possession or ownership. School shootings will still occur, murder rates will continue to rise, and we'll be back at square one.

Look at the crime rates for "gun free cities" and dispute this. Please, I'm sure there is a liberal who's consumed enough kool-aid to even attempt it.

For those who say "back in my day we used fists to settle things"... You didn't deal with religious zealots, haphazardly medicated mentally ill people, and drug addicts so please, enough with the rhetoric.

• The right to keep and bear arms is my right.

The founding fathers in their infinite wisdom had the genius to endow the American people with the inalienable right to keep and bear arms. They meant arms in the contemporary sense. We must be able to fend off a tyrannical government. The US government defensa apparatus has weapons of awesome power. The American people must be able to keep and bear arms equivalent to those governmental arms.