Should the U.S. tax Canadians for entering the country?

• With liberty and taxes for all!

Absolutely... Ay! I think any person who comes into the US from any country, including Canada should be taxed. This is a tax paying country and every person who lives and works here should be taxed with no exceptions. This country wouldn't be in as much debt if this were to change.

• No, that makes no sense and is unfair.

It doesn't make any sense and would not be fair to tax Canadians for entering the country. Not only that, but taxing them would backfire greatly. If they have to pay a tax to enter the country, they might not want to come at all, and we'll actually lose out on money from tourism.

• No, We need the extra dollars that they will spend when they are here.

Canadians come to America on vacation and spend lots of money when they are here. They also create businesses here that employ Americans and we know we need more jobs. What sense does it make to make it more difficult for our closest neighbors and friends and biggest trading partners to feel as welcome as we do in their country.

• Taxing Tourists Ends an Industry

With an ever increasing number of cities, including my own, heavily dependent on the tourist industry I am extremely curious about the genesis of this question. Does the author of this question believe that the taxing body would provide more assets to support the federal government than that provided by the income taxes being paid by the businesses and the employees in the hospitality industry? I would need to see that analysis to even consider this question. Secondly, there is the question of treating Canadian travelers differently than those from other countries. I am eager to read the positions of those supporting this proposal.