Should the UK and Ireland join the Schengen Area?

Asked by: TheDoctor1996
  • Yes and sooner rather than later

Yes absolutley we should join. In fact we shouldve joined years ago. It would benefit the economy and bring our cultures closer. Not only that but i think we should join the euro and it should be a legal requirement to learn another european language. So come on my fellow brits. Stop living in your draconian ways and hop into the 21st century

• Britain and Ireland are part of Europe

Creating unnecessary borders with their European neighbors will only weaken the economies of these two countries while limiting the freedoms of their citizens. Furthermore, Britain's security and immigration concerns are misplaced. Joining with the rest of Europe to create a stronger common border while welcoming workers from other EU countries will ultimately make the British Isles stronger, more prosperous, and more secure.

• Join Europe and put an end to isolation

Brits, if you want to keep living in your past glory, be my guest, but please do not drag Ireland with you into the mess.
    Every time I am entering or just passing through the UK I am subject to a third-degree, as if I were an illegal immigrant. For god`s sake, I have a Canadian passport and I live and work in Ireland.
    Brits, word of advice for you...Wake up...Gone are your heydays and past glory is no excuse or defense!

• It should no question!

It is annoying that you have to waste a lot of time when you come back to the UK from any European country at immigration control. This change would still keep immigration control from non EU counties but would make most citizen's lives easier. I really hope the UK will join any time soon.

• It should no question!

• UK is part of the EU

The UK is anchored geographically in Europe and has a great role to play from within the EU, so it should join the Schengen area and the Euro and be the flag bearer together with Germany, France and Italy to contribute to a better EU from within, not shouting from the neighbouring field.

• Borders with Europe limit transport opportunities.

Currently, Eurostar only operates out of London and the south-east. A major barrier to a service from anywhere else in Britain is that any new destination would require passport control facilities, or a stop off in London, which avoids the point of direct Eurostar services. The border checks also limit the amount of European destinations we can have easy connections to, for instance, a recent new Eurostar direct service to the South of France requires an hour stop in Lille on the return journey for passport checks.

Joining Schengen also means British people aren't at the will of the Passport Office (which we have seen can be unreliable)

• Convenience and more 'native' to the European continent

Not only do the British and Irish people benefit from the convenient travel, joining the Schengen Area and abolishing international borders in the UK and Republic of Ireland also bring the Europeans 'closer' to one another, in terms of relationship bonding and economic wise. Since the UK and Ireland had joined the European Union, why not join the Schengen Area? If wisely possible, I would also hope all the European countries would join the European Union and the Schengen Area. Like my post if you agree. :D

• Join 21st century Europe

The UK claims that it is a member of the EU, even if a lot of Brits want out anyway, but is it?

Schengen is a crucial component of today's EU. Without Schengen there is no EU, it is as simple as that. Without Schengen and the euro what is left is the EEC, i.e. the European Common Market of the 1970s and 1980s.

Schengen is a fundamental component of two essential pillars of today's EU:

- The single market - "The internal market shall comprise an area without internal frontiers". The UK simply refuses to understand what this means and takes a minimalist, Orwellian interpretation of freedom of movement. A single market cannot exist with border controls in between member countries because, by definition, a single market means that any person in one point of the single market is free to go and exercise its rights in the single market, i.e. to stay in a hotel, go shopping, visit any place, etc. That doesn't mean that anyone has the right to live or work anywhere in the single market, just like when you enter a shopping centre (in this case one called Schengen) you can freely visit any shop and buy what you like (if you have the means to pay for it) but that doesn't mean that you have the right to sleep or work at the shopping centre!

- The Area of Freedom, Security and Justice (AFSJ). This basically means that the EU is like a single country for the purposes of movement of people. Just like inside one country you can move freely without having to queue to have your passport scanned if you want to go from Birmingham to London, for example, exactly the same applies to the EU. Again that doesn't mean that just because anyone within Schengen can travel without border controls from one part to another, they have the right to live or work in any place, as this is regulated by other laws completely different to Schengen.

• Uk is a part of Europe

Uk as an European country should open its borders to other EU countries. UK government is concerned about illegal immigrants, but shouldn't be. Many wish to live in other European countries because they offer better support, welfares and job opportunities.
    Border controls should be stopped. It's just a waste of time and losing much money each year. Tourists with Schengen visa can't enter. That's a huge lose for the British economy.

• Schengen has failed

Schengen is falling apart in the face of the migrant crisis due to completely ineffective policing of the external borders. I'm so pleased the UK never joined this joke and the government said today that we never will! A small extra wait to travel to Europe is more than worth having control over our own borders.

• Yes and sooner rather than later

• Terror is just a few miles away over the channel

Britain is one of the top countries on ISIL list
    If Britain joins Schengan then we are well and truly more open to terror it's similar to Paris Also we really need to sort out the security in Calais with refugees still getting into Britain If refugees had little hope of getting here they would leave Calais and try another route

• UK Immigration control

10,000 migrants waiting at the Calais end of the Channel Tunnel will give you a clue as to why the UK is not in Schengen. Schengen seemed like a nice Euro-idea at the time until the destabilising of the Middle East and North Africa. This has resulted in mass migration to the EU and the most secure border of any Schengen member state for controlling this migration now, is that between Turkey and Greece. I am a very pro-EU Brit but I think not all Euro-ideas work as well as might have been hoped when put into practice. Schengen is one and the Euro - a single currency with no single fiscal policy or government to run it - could well be described as another.

• I love the EU but we're better out of Schengen.

I'm a federalist. I actually believe that the European Union should become one country, but at the moment I don't think it's right for the UK to join Schengen. We are a rabies free island. This is because we have extensive checks on all animals going into and out of the country. To think I could be putting my dog, my friends, my family at risk by removing our borders to a rabies-ridden continent is a bad idea.

There is also a lot of illegal immigration. Whilst I of course agree that all EU citizens should be allowed into the UK, we need to make sure they ARE EU citizens. The Schengen zone has miles upon miles of land borders making illegal immigration a lot easier. There's also the north coast of Africa which is extremely close to Italy, Spain, and Greece. It is difficult for illegal immigrants to get into the United Kingdom because all ports have passport checks and it's difficult to get here from anywhere that is not Europe by boat.

Finally, what are the benefits? To travel in to the Schengen zone currently, we need to bring a passport. The passport gets scanned and we go through. Because we're EU citizens, we don't need visas or extra checks or anything. What's the point? Open up our islands to rabies and illegal immigration for the sake of skipping a two-minute queue?

• No, and the UK should leave the EU !

Return sovereign power back to Westminster and away from Brussels. Immigration (illegal and "legal") to Britain is already out of control. A total open door policy to Europe would only make this worse. Nothing to do with race. Has anyone been to London recently? It is ridiculously overcrowded and a city of crime!