Should the United Nations enforce global standards of prison reform on its member nations?

• The UN should enact global standards for prison reform.

Yes, the United Nations should set and enforce global standards of prison reform for its member nations and beyond. Prisons are an institution you see all over the world. The United Nations is a global leader who decides and enforces societal norms. The UN should be a leader in this situation, and enact global prison reform standards.

• No, Prison reform is a complex issue

No, the way that a nation runs its prisons needs to be up to that
    nation, and no one needs to try to say that they are running it in a way
    that they should not be running it. I think that each nation can have
    its own say in it.

• That's not the point.

No, the United Nations should not enforce global standards of prison reform on its member nations, because that is not the point of the United Nations. The purpose of the United Nations is to prevent another large-scale world war. The point of the United Nations was never to mandate internal standards for law enforcement.

• I do not think it is achievable.

I do not think this would be possible or achievable in practice. Some countries have very low standards because that is all they can afford, and even between the western countries there are disagreements. Most of the EU countries believe the US has unacceptable standards for example, and I don't see the US agreeing to change because the EU wishes it.

• Not at all

No, the way that a nation runs its prisons needs to be up to that nation, and no one needs to try to say that they are running it in a way that they should not be running it. I think that each nation can have its own say in it.