Should the United States have first attempted to negotiate a compromise with Spain instead of instigating the Spanish-American War?

• Cost too high

The Americans should have definitely tried to negotiate first. The cost of war is far too high for it to be jumped into without trying every other option first. I think it is too easy for the people making thee decisions to forget how drastically those choices will affect everyone.

• The United States should have first attempted to negotiate a compromise with Spain instead of instigating the Spanish-American War.

The United States should have first attempted to negotiate a compromise with Spain instead of instigating the Spanish-American War. Prior to the War Spain was open to diplomatic negotiation, but the United States rejected negotiation and launched a navel attack on Spain's Islands in the Caribbean. The war was instigated by yellow journalism and a mysterious disappearance of an American Ship in the Spanish waters.

• The United States

I personally disagree,I do not believe the United States should have first attempted to negotiate a compromise with Spain instead of instigating the Spanish-American War. I believe negotiations would have been futile and the war was just. I believe war was far more common in that age and negotiating was an unlikely tactic.

• The United States

I personally think that United States should have first attempted to negotiate a compromise with Spain instead of instigating the Spanish-American War. I believe negotiations would have been futile and the war was just. I believe war was far more common in that age and negotiating was an unlikely tactic.

• Time of War

I do not believe the United States should have first attempted to negotiate a compromise with Spain instead of instigating the Spanish-American War. I believe negotiations would have been futile and the war was just. I believe war was far more common in that age and negotiating was an unlikely tactic.