Should the United States implement a universal gun ban?

Asked by: Craighawley215
  • Works in Canada

I see stats and arguments about how guns "save lives". They only save lives against other people with guns. If the criminals couldn't get their hands on guns then it would make your streets a lot safer. This works, Its proven. Canada has less murder and suicide per thousand then the states with strict gun laws same with other gun "free" country like japan.

Please look at your crime versus our crime and tell me what the issue is if it isn't the fact you have guns: http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Canada/United-States/Crime

• Part of the problem

I do believe that Guns are part of the problem of crime, obviously. However people wont stop killing others. The real problem here is providing free mental health support, for those who need it, which will help again, part of the issue with murder crime in the USA. Obviously this isn't relevant to every crime in the US, but it's still extremely important. I do believe there will be a decrease in Gun crime if there was a ban, because access will be limited. I understand the argument that criminals are criminals and will get guns whether lawful or not, but this will increasingly be more difficult if there's a ban.

• Guns don't kill people.

Whenever I hear others wanting guns banned, it's not really the gun they want banned but rather it's the act of the crime. We wish the crime wouldn't have happened so naturally believe that if the criminal's "tools" were impossible to obtain, then the crime could have been prevented. Obviously, the criminal doesn't respect the prohibition of murder by the law so another lesser law getting in the way isn't going to stop him. The creation of a gun black market will affect law abiding citizens more than the criminals. It's very similar to the way DRM affects legitimate game buyers more than the pirates.

• It's not the guns. It's the people.

A universal gun ban does not necessarily make sense. Many types of weapons can be used to maim and/or kill, including knives (yes, even pocketknives) or other blunt weapons. Banning guns does not attack the underlying problem, which is that human nature is what leads to the death of others. The problem does not exist in the weapon itself, it exists within the person. Banning the weapon doesn't constitute that the person will not stop his/her criminal actions. Citizens who are in possession of a gun are more vulnerable to other criminals, who know other 'tricks of the trade.'

• People kill people.

If you attempt to take away the guns of honest accountable American citizens I'm pretty sure they would do something about it. If we are going to get rid of guns we might as well get rid of knifes, cars, and cigarettes. After all they all kill people. However unlike all of those things I just stated, a gun has a safety switch.

• It would be a massive waste of money on something that would never work

Read about the prohibition. People like to drink. The government made all alcoholic beverages illegal. They spent TONS of money to confiscate alcohol. People wanted to keep drinking so they did illegally. Organized crime supplied the alcohol. The government spent TONS of money to combat organized crime. Eventually the government realized how stupid the prohibition was but not until after spending millions of taxpayer dollars. The government is facing the exact same problem now with illegal drugs. We learned nothing at all from the prohibition.

Do you really think that if the government makes guns illegal everyone will give them up? If you do you are very naive.
    The only people that would give up their guns would be the ones that already follow the laws. The criminals would keep their guns.

• In a word...

NO! Gun bans solve nothing, since criminals do not obey the law. They will manage to get their hands on a gun, or some other weapon. It is a undeniable fact that over 90 percent of mass shooting happen in gun free zones. What do you think would happen if America was a gun free zone. The facts speak for themselves. The only way to fight crime is to hold accountable, and punish, those who commit crimes. We need to bring back the death penalty too. A criminal can't kill someone if they are dead. Is this making any sense?

• I Don't Believe So

With the increase in mass gun murders over the past few years, I do think it is time for the United States to have a discussion on gun regulation. However, a universal gun ban would result in an immediate increase in crime involving firearms, and gun owning citizens would have their first line of defense removed, making them more vulnerable to arguably the largest criminal culture in the world. The goal should be to hold gun owners to a higher standard, not to put people in a place of victimization.

• Part of the problem

• That is a dangerous idea

http://gunssavelives.net/browse-by-state/
    according to the DOJ guns in america save 400,000 lives a year. They take 30,000 lives a year. So of you banned guns you could save at most 30,000 lives and you would take 400,000 lives. You cant prevent all 30,000 gun deaths by banning guns anyways as most of them are suicides, and gang related murderers.

Varrack says2015-06-19T21:10:57.443
This is a terrible idea.
Craighawley215 says2015-06-19T21:25:38.013
I agree, but it's a conversation that I think we should at least explore.
Reeseroni says2015-06-20T00:15:06.837
First of all, the U.S. has absolutely no control over any nations besides ourselves.
Craighawley215 says2015-06-20T14:02:39.887
@Reeseroni, not sure who you were addressing, but if it was me, I'd like to clarify: Universal meaning "applying to all guns," not "worldwide."
B0HICA says2015-06-20T23:05:00.663
I would just like to remind everyone what a fledgling dictatorship does, as one of it's highest priorities. One of the first things they always do is ban guns. Then they go after religious institutions, as they are the ones who are most likely to speak out against government abuse. Once that is accomplished, the sheeple will fall in line, without much fuss.