Should the United States lower its drinking age from 21 to 18?

• Lets be real please.

I'm not going to make this a huge deal but just take a minute and analyze what I'm about to say. As an eighteen year old myself I've had the privilege to grow up in the U.S. And live my summers in Mexico (where the drinking age is 18). I turned 18 last year and this summer I was legally allowed to drink. The way kids under the age of 21 in the US drink is ridiculous compared to the kids in Mexico. It's like a group of kids in Mexico drink socially as to where kids in the US binge drink. One of the MAIN reasons kids under 21 binge drink is to get drunk faster so they can go out "drunk". If the drinking age were 18 you wouldn't have thousands of 18 year old kids getting drunk before going out to the club, or a concert, etc. We as the teenage generation would be able to go to a club, a bar, a concert or whatever and enjoy our drinks with everyone without worrying about getting caught, or getting a drinking ticket for possession. It would be easier to come up with a DD since no one would be worried about "not being able to drink" next week or whatever. I know plenty of people won't agree with me, and some may even throw in the "You stupid Mexican" phrase here and there. We all have our own opinions and mine is that from what I have seen in Mexico is that my friends over there have 10x more fun and it's 10x safer going to a country club to drink socially then going to a club than binge drinking and not knowing how the alcohol is going to hit you. Not only can you harm your body by binge drinking but for the ladies, it's not classy to be the drunkest girl at the club/bar. This is just my two cents.

• I think this.

Because i think they need to lower if and rase the age of driving so people will grow up and not be drinking and driving and they won't kill that many people or themselves at that. i think it is crazy but this is my opinion to all of it.

• The drinking age should be 18

At the age of 18, you gain all the rights and responsibilities of an adult. However, you are not able to take a sip of alcohol. At 18 you are a full-fledged member of society, and should be entitled to all the privileges of an American citizen, including the purchase and consumption of alcohol.
    A survey by the U.S. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration found that in 2003, 71.8 percent of 18- to 20-year-olds consumed alcohol in the past year. Students in this age range are away from the protection of their parents for the first time, and the temptation to drink is overwhelming for many. Lowering the drinking age to 18 increases the ability of parents to monitor new drinkers. Parents hold more leverage with their children at the age of 18, and may be able to influence their child’s drinking habits. At the age of 21, new drinkers are more likely to be either in college or living on their own, where parents have less authority.
    Lowering the drinking age also opens up opportunities for high schools to receive government funding towards educating their students on alcohol and its effects. Funding towards alcohol and drug awareness programs often goes to colleges, where underage drinking already runs rampant. Also, most of these otiose programs are reactive instead of proactive, and preach abstinence instead of limitations.In 2010, the University of Arizona started a program teaching their students personal limits and safe practices . After the program’s installment in the spring semester of 2010, the number of students at the University of Arizona who use a designated driver when drinking was 82.6%, compared to 67.8% in 2007. If these programs are implemented during high school, when students are more impressionable, the level of underage binge drinking would decrease.
    Others may argue that lowering the legal drinking age would lead to health problems in young teens, such as liver failure. It is only binge drinking that causes these health problems, not casual consumption. Students tend to binge drink because they don’t know when they will get the chance to drink again. Countries such as Germany, whose legal drinking age is 16, report far less alcohol-related deaths and health problems than the United States. European countries’ relaxed attitude and active education on alcohol’s effects has resulted in a decreased number of alcohol-related injuries.
    At eighteen, you can vote, fight in wars, and get married. But you cannot drink champagne at campaign parties, crack open a beer after a long day of fighting or drink a toast at your own wedding. The legal drinking age should be lowered to eighteen so that young Americans can be better monitored as they taste freedom as young adults.

• You yanks are years behind the rest of the world

I understand you yanks have a system called selective service registration, where upon turning 18 you must register for possible compulsory military service or risk imprisonment and denial of govt. Aid or jobs, its hard to understand that if you can be called up (scuse the pun) at gunpoint to fight a war and die yet you cant buy a single bottle of beer in a bar.
    We here in NZ Lowered our drinking age to 18 from 20 some 15 years ago and its better people drink in bars or clubs where they are strictly supervised than buy from a supermarket, have a party and trash up there neighbourhoods. Of course this scenario applies to persons of all ages as a direct consequence of our past drinking laws - it was only as recently as 1967 you could not open a bar after 6pm mon-sat (no Sunday trading) which encouraged high speed binge drinking.

• If you can die for your country why can't you drink

Young men who barely look old enough to be holding a gun are fighting for our country and risking their lives every day. Yet you are going to tell me they can't crack a beer open after fighting all day in the hot desert and being a shot at? That hardly seems fair. If these men and women are allowed to leave their homes in America for months and even years at a time, have the power to shoot and kill people, go on covert operations, and be put in the line of fire, they rightly deserve to engage in drinking. If our country thinks that 18 year olds are capable of all of the above, then they should certainly be responsible enough to drink.

• Please, explain to me:

At age 18, the kids -- wait, no, they're legally adults now -- can vote to change the law, and cannot drink because of the law. So, all these citizens go and break laws that they legally have the power to change. I'm a little confused here. Let's put this on the ballot at the next election, see how it turns out. This is a democracy, right?

• Fix the Problem, Not the Symptom.

Really. People drink under the age of 21 anyways. Matter of fact, one of the reasons people drink who are under 21 is just that; alcohol is shown as a godly object only attainable by their elders, and because of this, it's understandable that they want to drink. They want to have a mature thing in their life.

Simply limiting it for older people is not solving the problem. Educate them. Why is it that countries like Germany and the UK have lower drinking age laws, yet fewer alcoholic related deaths/injuries? It's because their young adults are more educated and have more sense about it then people in the U.S. If anything, they should lower the drinking age, and raise the driving age. By the time they hit the legal age to drive, hopefully, they should be more mature about their choice to drink or not.

• Yes should be 18

Why is it a man or woman can risk their life at 18 in war, buy a gun, or use tobacco "which is statistically proven to have more damaging effects" but can't have a damn beer. It's pure ignorance and a contradiction to our states. This should change over time.

• Let Them Drink

Here in America the drinking age is too high. Countries like Germany have drinking ages of 16 and far less drunk driving accidents. 18 year olds need to be more educated on alcohol and what it does to the body. And not these stupid people who talk down to them like their 5, I mean real talks about how to drink safely and in moderation. Plus not to mention an 18 year old in the US can legally be shot in the head or blown up in the line of duty, but he can't have a cold one when he gets back home from overseas. Not too mention making the age 21 has oh just pushed teens to rebel and this binge drinking be and more popular.

• I'm 18 years old

I can vote on what the country and the state does I have the ability to smoke or chew tabacco. Even if it was with parents it should be aloud. Why can we do all of these things but not drink alcohol. I understand people do it for recreation but why can't it be done just to have a drink? I say it changes!

• NO!!!! US SHOULD NOT LOWER THE DRINKING AGE!!!

The drinking age was set at 21 because it is to prevent teenagers from drinking, making bad decisions, and teenagers can develop real serious health issues. If the drinking age was lowered to 18, it would lead to main deaths each year, and we would not want that!! Underage drinking will occur no ,atter what the legal drinking age is

• The United states should not lower its drinking age to 18.

There was a reason many years ago that the age limit was changed to 21. At 18 the person is just not mature enough and responsible enough to go out and drink. There are way too many drunk drivers out there already and having millions of 18 year olds out there will just make the problem even worse and will result in an increase in DWI deaths. That would be a terrible thing. I think 22 should be the age.

Posted by: dadude913
  • No

People lose their morals and don't know what they're doing. If you're eighteen and you are really drunk, you can go home late and beat your parents up because they were yelling at you and you wouldn't even know because you were too drunk. Also you can get arrested. Do you want to spend time in jail?

• No, eighteen year olds are not responsible enough, it's too young to start.

It would be a big mistake to lower the drinking age. An eighteen year old may think they are mature enough to handle beer and liquor but the truth is, they aren't. And if young people can legally drink at that age, they might start drinking illegally even earlier. A lot of ugly, lifelong problems can arise once someone starts drinking, so I think the later in life they start the better.

Posted by: PinkMych
  • At 18, you are just barely an adult.

I am turning 18 and I know that I am not ready to be legally allowed to drink. My brain is still developing and with everything else that changes at 18, drinking would just get in the way of kids making the right choices. Waiting an extra three years is not that long. It gives us time to mature as adults and make the right decisions.

• Decreasing the age limit will spoil the coming generation.

Children at the age of 18 are not very mature. They may get into wrong issues.

Posted by: FaeIPh0bic
  • At 18 you're barely an adult.

Why would you want to get drunk when you're 18? You can wait an extra three years so that your brain can maintain a good environment. I don't think that the drinking age should be lowered to the age of 18. What if you're drunk and you're driving out with your friends? You don't want to get them killed, so that's a NO.

• Why would we damage brains which are not even fully developed?

Many people know that alcohol is a very harmful and addictive drug. A human's brain is not fully developed until age 25. Why would we want to hurt our bodies or our children's bodies and brains? Using the argument "If we can go to war at 18 we should have a drink at 18" is not a mature enough statement. This generation is not mature enough to handle such responsibility. I am only 17 years of age and even I believe that this would be a stupid idea.

• no

Eighteen year olds can’t handle alcohol, because they make to many mistakes. If you start to drink at eighteen or twenty one your tolerance is still going to be the same. Meaning, that no matter what age you start to drink you don’t know how much you can handle until you start drinking.

• I believe that the drinking age being 21 is appropriate because of the harmful effects on brain development that drinking can cause in undeveloped brains.

Because the human brain does not completely finish growing until around age 25, I feel the later a person is required by law to wait until drinking is very important. Alcohol has been proved many times to have harmful effects on an individuals brain. Undeveloped brains are very susceptible to this kind of damage, and by waiting to drink until a more mature age; this is avoided to some degree.

Posted by: R4ddyI0rd

Research this topic: United States