Should the United States of America join the Commonwealth of Nations?

Asked by: DebateTime
  • Yes America should.

Https://www.Facebook.Com/RoyalistPartyUSA We commit ourselves to the establishment of a constitutional monarchy for the United States of America. It is our belief that to create a true sense of trust between the governed and the government, our nation's leader must be above the politics of the day, beholden to no special interest group, and free to do what must be done for the good of all Americans, not just the party he or she leads.

• The USA would be a welcome addition to the Commonwealth

America used to be part of the British Empire so would be, I believe, eligible to join. It would be good for Britain to acknowledge that all that unpleasantness about the tax on tea was justified, although the subsequent revolution was, I think, a bit of an over-reaction. Still, it’s time to let bygones be bygones and welcome America back into the fold.

• Yes we should

Ar government even with the current system of checks and balances can still be shutdown adding a higher power to over see these branches can help prevent these shutdowns and we should simply get more involved in the Anglo world to protect not just our interests but are allies interest.

• They evolved from the British empire and have no monarch

It would indeed be a good idea if they did with uk leaving euro union and world tensions NATO could be disbanded and the commonwealth would be a great alliance I think also why not they have good relations with us and have helped us a lot so it is a yes

• The US was in the British Empire

American was in the British Empire they gained independence like all the other 52 countries (Canada, Australia, India, ect)
    It makes no difference what so ever
    Personally I think the US should be in the commonwealth like all of the other 52 countries as it was apart of the British Empire

• Use it to promote trade, development, and mutual defense

We could provide the Commonwealth with the economic and military weight to give it legitimacy as a serious forum for international cooperation, and become more than just a glorified cricket league. Now that can either be very good or very bad depending on your point of view, but I would argue that it would give the member states a great deal of incentive to focus on banging out a mutual trade agreement (US could gradually eliminate its farm subsidies, allowing the third world to develop its own agriculture, and in exchange the other states respecting US intellectual property), and provide a forum for either a mutual defense agreement (important especially for India, Australia, Malaysia, and New Zealand) or at the very least increased cooperation (i.E. Joint patrols/training exercises).

Additionally, we could create joint efforts in much less divisive spheres; we could cooperate on jointly developing cold fusion and thorium reactors to increase energy production and cut our carbon footprint while combating proliferation. This would allow the third world to develop sufficient energy to be self-sufficient in an eco-friendly manner without the need for much oversight. Finally, we could work together on joint space ventures. This is a very idealistic point of view, but I think that there is a way to provide a forum for cooperation without impinging on member states' sovereignty, and I think the US joining the Commonwealth would be great for the US and the world.

• We Have a duty to join

All the English speaking nations and former lands of the British crown should maintain a brotherly connection to each other. We can enjoy the common history as well as our now current differences. Great Britain gave the United States ,as a colony; the laws, religions, and culture that we built and honed to into our own special ways of life. Becoming a member of the Commonwealth of Nations is not disrespectful to our Founding Fathers, they were loyal Englishmen until 1776. They would gladly join a organization that spreads the ideals that they fought for in the first place as Englishmen, now Americans.

• Yes, a natural connection!

The USA already shares much with the UK, and the UK with the USA; between us, we've shaped and defined the modern world (including making English undisputed lingua franca of the modern world). This connection would do no more than and enhance and promote mutually beneficial trade and cultural ties.

• The Commonwealth bank

The Commonwealth bank is a growing bank that is in the top 10 banks in the world, if more people joined in then the bank would get stronger at a much faster rate. Plus the commonwealth could help with the balance of power over corrupt governments (yes i am aware that the commonwealth is a bit corrupt )

But going to the reason why the US should join is that they could help there own economy with the commonwealth.

• No! No! No!

When the U.S. broke all ties with the Crown in 1776, it was a permanent end to a tumultuous relationship that led to the 13 Colonies declaring themselves independent. The fact that the British Monarch is the head of the Commonwealth would make the country's forefathers roll in the grave. While we do have great relations with the UK, the U.S. does not have to belong to an organization that glorifies Britain's former colonial empire. The U.S. and Ireland should stay out of this organization due to their Wars of Independence against the present monarch's ancestors and resulted in plenty of bloodshed.

• The situation has changed

The majority of land that comprises the United States is land that was never under the control of the British Empire and the majority of United States citizens have no ancestral ties to the Commonwealth. Over the past two centuries the United States has developed it's own cultural identity that is arguably incompatible with the Commonwealth. To suggest that the United States join the Commonwealth is akin to suggesting that Britian forego their cultural, historical, and technological development and join a reunified Roman state.

• We need a 100% Democracy

A monarch having a say in the American Government would be outright disgusting and a disgrace to our country, our founding fathers would be disappointed if we even considered such a thing. Plus, much of what is now Amerca today was ruled by France and Spain at the time, and both of the former were allies to America in the war. Also, many modern-day Americans aren't even of British descent. I'm mainly of Swedish descent with some French descent. Although joining the might Commonwealth help the USA economically, it is still a disgrace to our strictly Democractic nation.

• It wouldn't make sense

The American Revolution ended in 1783 and since that point, many new ethnic groups have immigrated to our shores that share no connections to Great Britain or to the former British Empire, i.e. the Commonwealth.
    Furthermore, only thirteen of the fifty states that make up the U.S.A. were every under British rule anyway...What reasoning is there for California, New Mexico, Alaska, Texas or Kansas to join the Commonwealth? Also, many Americans descend from groups that arrived here for the sole purpose of starting new lives free of Monarchial influences, most notably Irish Americans, among others. While our governmental system, language, and culture are all products of our British heritage (of which we should be proud) and while we are closely aligned with Britain and the other Commonwealth nations (Canada, India, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, etc.)...It would disrespect the legacy of our Founding Fathers and all American patriots who died fighting for independence, should we join the Commonwealth.

• The Commonwealth is not worth U.S. involvement.

While the Commonwealth of Nations has good intentions, it lacks the competence to even pique U.S. interest.

The Commonwealth is generally a talk show; it is incapable of enforcing its ideals, its members have no obligations toward each other, and it offers no benefits of any sort to said members. The U.S. would prefer more productive and reliable alliances such as NATO or the UN.

• No, we are in enough clubs.

No, the United States of America should not join the Commonwealth of Nations, because there are already enough country groups that the United States is in a part of. The United States already pretty much funds the United Nations. We have enough opportunities to speak with other nations without joining yet another group.

• The U.S.A. is a unique country

There are several different reasons why I would be strongly against joining the British Commonwealth. The most obvious of which is the fact that our country was born out of a revolution to rid ourselves of British rule. As an American, I'm proud of the fact that we have no ties to the British, or any other, monarchy whatsoever, even symbolically. I don't have anything particularly against Queen Elizabeth II personally, but I'm glad we're no longer connected with Britain, plus I'm against the idea of monarchies in general. We're a republic. Also, many Americans have significant non-Anglo ancestry or even none at all. In basic terms, my ancestry is half Anglo, one quarter Italian, and one quarter Cajun French. The Cajuns (originally Acadians) suffered many hardships at the hands of the British, including their deportation from their homeland in what's now Canada (an event known as Le Grand Dérangement) after the French and Indian war. Even the side that was of British stock has been here in America since the 17th century, with some later on fighting in the Revolution itself.

• The U.S.A. is a unique country

• The U.S.A. is a unique country

• America didn't want to be a part of Britain

America won independence from Britain. Paul Revere yelled "The British are coming" . America became independent from England. The UK and the US are opposites. In 1775, the Americans started killing the British. In 1607, the English people sailed to Jamestown, Virginia. Africans were brought by the Europeans for slavery.

DebateTime says2013-09-21T18:39:17.003
Http://www.Debate.Org/debates/United-States-of-America-should-join-the-Commonwealth-of-Nations/2/ We commit ourselves to the establishment of a constitutional monarchy for the United States of America. It is our belief that to create a true sense of trust between the governed and the government, our nation's leader must be above the politics of the day, beholden to no special interest group, and free to do what must be done for the good of all Americans, not just the party he or she leads.

Our mission is to replace the office of Head of State with our Sovereign Queen. Her Majesty, or her representative in the United States, the Governor-General, would assume the original, Constitutional powers of the President of the United States, and would serve as a non-partisan and impartial arbiter of our Constitutional government.

Legislative powers, powers of war and peace, and power of the purse"among others"would all return to the United States Congress as was set out in our Constitution.

The Royalist Party would also see the United States join the Commonwealth of Nations, in the interest of forming stronger cultural, trade, and political bonds with nations who share our heritage in the English language, British liberty, and peace among nations.

Like many of you that may read this, I too have become disgusted with the current state of affairs in American politics. The squabbling, backroom deals, special interest groups and the pandering thereto. It really is enough to make one's stomach turn. To think that our forefathers fought, and died to prevent this sort of corruption from occurring only to see it propagated in their name is a sad fact.

However, there is still hope for America, and her citizens. Time and time again, men and women have rallied around banners, causes and individuals and united to save something, or accomplish something so great that they are recorded down in history. The Battle of Thermopylae. Battle of Gravelines. The Battle of Moscow in 1812. We are continually reminded that history is fraught with examples of extraordinary monarchs and autocrats that were not besieged by special interests groups, political parties or other distracting bodies and organizations. They were honorable, dutiful patriots who had a love for their country and a zeal for their people's prosperity.

This is what America needs in her darkest hour. A true American patriot with the courage, morals and ethics to do not what is politic, or popular. We need a leader that will do what is right. One who is not afraid to do what must be done for the sake of the nation, and to rid the country of it's corrupt two party "republic" that has failed consistently over the last 50 years. We are help to fulfill the growing need for an alternative political solution in a climate where so many individuals are turning their back on politics altogether. The supreme goal of the Royalist Party, USA is not the restoration of a medieval political theory. But a reinvention of a proven and successful form of governance. A form of government wherein the bickering, stagnation and consistent corruption inherent in democratic and republican forms of government is absent. We aim to accomplish this through:

Repeated exposure to the American public to join the Commonwealth of Nations and return to just, Royal Government, and its various forms, and benefits.
Leading by example, and refusing to participate in the American political system at present, either in part or in whole. This means we refuse to give weight to any political party, or organization other than our own, by voting or protest. To do so would be to legitimize their partisan political system.
Appealing to like minded Americans who share a deep mistrust of the government, and other forms of republican or democratic governance.
Building a grassroots community encompassing all ethnic groups, faiths, and individuals of all walks of life to help build a better alternative for tomorrow's America.

The national Facebook Page can be found here: https://www.Facebook.Com...
We're an American political party aligned with the following principles:
i) Toryism
ii) Traditionalism
iii) Agrarianism
iv) Distributism
v) Culturism
vi) Pan-Anglo Identity
pamelaewen says2017-02-27T18:26:02.150
I am a Canadian citizen and was asked whether or not the US should join the Commonwealth of Nations. I wanted to know the advantages and disadvantages. I read a few in the, "Yes", column and got some information but needed something more solid from the, "No's", not just referring back to 1776 etc. I think the advantages would be freedom of travel between the commonwealth nations and things like sports initiatives like Prince Harry's Invictus Games. I am shocked to see people in the states who actually would like to have the Queen as their head of state! I don't think that will happen, especially in the present, "administration" which appears to be in disarray. There are some in the commonwealth who fear that the US, being such a large, powerful nation would be a disadvantage to the commonwealth. I feel that I am for the US joining, but the nuts and bolts would have to be on the table and discussed. Pamela