Should the United States of America lower its legal drinking age to 18?

Asked by: DebateTime
  • Once your 18, your an adult period

First of all it's stupid how the US government considers you an adult when you turn 18 years old and gives you all privileges expect drinking. A new study shows that raising the drinking to 21 from 18 caused many problems other than binge drinking. Drunk driving did decrease, but binge drinking went up. Binge Drinking + Drunk = Drunk Driving. There are still many 18 - 20 year olds drunk driving. People are doing it anyways, they don't care about the law and decides to break them by illegally drinking underage (21). A group called "Mothers Against Drunk Driving" is wrong. They states this: "A human's brain does not stop developing until his or her early twenties." According to the scientists and health experts, a human brain stops at the age of 25. This law is very ridiculous. Those opposing are stupid to not known what's coming.

• Sounds Fine To Me

Being an adult the drinking age doesn't mean much to me, so I have no problem with it being adjusted, it simply won't affect me. I believe people that are 18 and older would much appreciate the legal age to drink, being dropped. If an individual can join the military or vote, then I think they are old enough to drink as well.

• Yes the drinking age should be lowered to 18.

I think the United States should definitely lower its drinking age to 18, but implement different DUI affects such as different percentages for younger adults. Almost everywhere else the drinking age is lower and they do not seem to have to much of a problem with younger adults drinking. It would possible reduce theft of alcohol, underage drinking would definitely go down, and you might find that less alcoholics are created due to the fact that kids usually feel that drinking is cool underage because its illegal.

• No way. (Oh and I'm 18 myself)

Lowering the drinking age SCREAMS chaos to me. Even though by 18 years of age we are considered adults we have to realize that 18 yr olds are still young, inexperienced humans who are likely to make more careless mistakes than those who are older and wiser with more experience. Therefore, allowing them to drink which is a lot of responsibility may be allowing them to bite off more than they can chew. With the age to drink being 21, we already face many accidents where lives are put in danger or even put to face death. By lowering the legal drinking age to 18, we are just welcoming more accidents because we are allowing younger people who haven't even been out to experience the real world yet drink, get drunk, and not even be aware of all the things that they may be doing. It puts their lives in danger as well as those around them.

• No, the United States should not lower its drinking age to 18.

While people under the age of 21 already drink illegally, I think it would be wrong to encourage it even more by making it legal. In fact, I believe that lowering it would lead to even younger teens beginning to drink. Making it legal for 18 year olds will then encourage kids younger than that to start. Already, young children are drinking alcohol, some as young as age 12. Keeping the age limit at 21 shows that drinking is an activity for adults only. 18 year olds are still far too young to drink responsibly.

DebateTime says2013-09-21T18:08:07.937
Www.Debate.Org/debates/United-States-of-America-should-lower-its-drinking-age-to-18/1