• The Current National Anthem is completely outdated.

The song, first was written in 1814. That's 199 years ago. Nearly 200 years ago, this country's National Anthem was established. Not everyone will agree with my reasoning but here goes. First of all, I believe the so is extremely outdated, as so plainly demonstrated by my earlier statement. Because of the gap between now and then, the song is hard to connect with. I believe that if our country is to proudly sing an Anthem that represents us, it should at the least be a song we as the people can relate to. The archaic styling of Francis Scott Key, may have been accepted in the 1800s but i don't believe it necessary that we must continue with a 2 century old song.

• It's based on a beer song.

Considering that our current national anthem is based on a bear song melody, i think maybe we should. Even though it is a very historical anthem we need something that other people won't hear and think...Wow. America. Already we are seen as lousy alchohol drinking, drug taking reckless people. Why make it worse.

• USA never had a real National Anthem - We adopted a War Poem.

We need a real National Anthem that emphasize the beauty, power and diversity of our great country. The present National Anthem was a war song against the British that we adopted. Ironically, we set this war poem to the tune of an old British drinking song. Were we not nature as a Nation to create our own music?

• It's a hard one to memorize

I feel like this national anthem is one that people in today's society don't really understand or even memorize! Like, most celebrities flubbed the lyrics and showed no understanding of what the song meant. It's really hard to sing too! It doesn't mention the counties name or anything! The lyrics don't represent America in any way and no one really knows about this war. It's a lousy and boring song that doesn't really have a tune. Especially in "land of the free" the note is really high and hard to raise. Time to adopt a new national anthem! One that represents this country! And one that everybody can understand and memorize!

• Here's my idea

I think the new national anthem should be "Suite Madame Blue" by Styx. The reason for this is because it's 100% patriotic/"Go America!". The vocals are catchy and the instruments are epic. Very well done, beautifully composed. The lyrics are more poetic and entertaining, it has a better chance at getting stuck in our heads. The fact that this song is about the statue of liberty should be up for consideration without question.

• A disappointing melody

While the Star Spangled Banner has had a history of patriotism, it's melody is somewhat boring, and there are plenty of more beautiful american songs, like Battle Hymn of the Republic for instance. Also, the fact that the melody of SSB comes from a british drinking song is a little of setting.

• Times are changing

The Star Spangled Banner is from the war of 1812 and conveys the sentiment of that time. We are now in the 21 century and the nation is more multi-cultural than it was them. The sentiments are the same, but what we want to project as a nation may have changed. We have a great cultural heritage with many noted composers. Let us select a new national anthem in tune with our times. A country may have more than one national anthem ... Let use select another to complement what we already have.

• The Anthem Needs to be Changed

Most People have difficulty memorizing a song whose tune is to a beer-drinking tune, on top of that, An English beer-drinking tune. The lyrics are different, but they speak of a war that most have forgotten ever happened. I don't think that "Bombs bursting in air" and "The Rocket's red glare" should represent America.

• The current Anthem is racist.

Just reading the third stanza makes me sick. Like most Americans, I was never aware of the full song. I would propose "My Country Tis of Thee" as our national Anthem. It doesn't have the racist words the current Anthem has, and it is more unifying, and the melody is beautiful,

• My father, a former Vietnam marine, believes the anthem should be changed

Before I begin my argument and lay out my proposal, I should note that I believe all people should stand, if not out of respect of our government, but out of respect for the people of this country. In my responsibility as Student Council President at my high school, I run morning pep rallies where I invite people to stand, if not for the flag, but their communities, families, and friends. However, the anthem--whose full version remains ambiguous to most Americans--contains verses placing slavery in a positive light. For this reason, My father-- who volunteered to fight for this country in Vietnam as soon as he turned 18--believes that "The Star-Spangled Banner" should not serve as our national anthem. In his youth, he recalled after the nightly news "America the Beautiful" would play each day before airways turned silent. This song, to which all Americans can sing proudly, should serve as the national anthem. Nevertheless, both my father and I stand each time we are called upon to sing "The Star-Spangled Banner." However, we both do so in the hopes this song will one day change.

• The US already has a national anthem, so why adopt a new one?

People have been trying to state that the US should adopt a new anthem, and that "The Star Spangled Banner" is outdated, and not as good as it should be as an anthem. But this is untrue. People have been using this song for centuries. Why take time to learn and memorize a new one? This is a simply ridiculous proposal. Plus, this is a tradition. Why abandon our tradition? Traditions are traditions, and we should not abandon traditions. We all need to stand strong against the proposal of a new anthem!

• Why change American ideals

Why let a bunch of foreigners, (African Americans)change our (real Americans) history. Go the hell back to africa. Go o the back of the bus, stay out of our lives, n stay in your cages. America was built without you , I'm sure it will do fine without you also.

• Leave it alone!

The country is in "throw away mode" and the Left is working feverishly to make us into the new USSR. Make no mistake, they want collectivism to replace individuality and changing statues, songs and symbols is their way of trying to push us into the Soviet mentality. Keep the Anthem

• We aren't the new Soviet Union

The existing National Anthem is as unoffensive as you can get (except to the British but they are used to it) and it is based on a wonderful and heartfelt poem from Francis Scott Key about the shelling of Ft. McHenry in the infamous war of 1812. Generations of Americans either sang it in school or stood up proudly as a free citizen of the USA. What would the Left propose? More than likely they are pushing for "this land is our land" which was written by a Communist who neither understood our values or cared to promote them. Or worse they are going to replace it with a version of "Internationale" so please support the existing National Anthem and speak up when they try to remove statues of the Founders of this country!

• Leave it alone

This national anthem has represented America for 199 years. It's time for Americans to stand together and fight for what's right. If people don't like the way America is and want a change there's plenty of other country's you can move to. If you're going to live in America speak english and quit crying racisim everytime you see something from American history.
    GOD BLESS AMERICA !!!

• This crackhead freakshow needs to stop!

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP! THERE ARE NO LYRIC, VERSUS OR CHORUS' STATING ANY DEROGATORY OR JIM CROW BULLSHIT! IN OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM! THIS IDEA STINKS AS IF SOME JERKWAD WITHIN THE NCCA DOCTORED SOME SHEET MUSIC, SHOWED IT TO THIS OLD BROAD WHO'S CRYIN, "GOTTA-GIT RID-OF-THE-ANTHEM!" AND WERE JUST SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE THAT FOR 200+ YEARS, THAT ARE JUST NOW COMING OUT? I dont think so...Go back to your crackpipe! AND LEAVE THE ANTHEM ALONE!

• Traditions of America

It’s traditions that build a country. No matter what we have been through, it’s our song. We can’t erase the past, all we can do is change the future. Our future is made better is we remember the gods and bad from the past and adjust our lives accordingly. Thanks

• Keeping the Anthem

We should keep the anthem because it tells about how our men fought bravely to keep us free from the British. It also honors our flag and our country, and right now people are not doing that. I think we should keep it as our national anthem for those reasons.

• The war is what makes America.

Without the war, who could tell we were an independent country? No one, we wouldn't be. We would still be apart of Britain. The war mentioned in the song, is the war we fought to get here, to be able to worship freely. We shouldn't have to change this part of our country, it is a true part of America.

• Star Spangled Banner

Our 5th grade music class feels this song is a part of our lives and is our tradition to pass on to our kids. Historically this song gives us a sense of pride for our country and military. The Star-spangled banner is not difficult to sing as we have been singing it since kindergarten.