Should the US be allowed to store surveillance data for five years?

• The United States should be allowed to store surveillance data for five years.

The United States should be allowed to store surveillance data for five years. I believe that the United States should be allowed to store surveillance data for longer than five years. All of this surveillance can be used to protect us in the future. I have nothing to hide. The government can do surveillance on me as long as they desire and keep it as long as they desire. People that having nothing to hide, hide nothing.

• Store the tapes

It would be a good idea to store it for a certain amount of time so that they can check on all the available data and double check things for up to five years if they need to. It would also help in not only keeping the country safe but also in day to day activities. A lot of people may have a problem with this but it helps more than it hurts.

• Yes, the US should be allowed to store surveillance data for as long as necessary.

This question is confusing two separate issues. There is not a problem with how long the US surveillance agencies are storing their data. There is a problem with the methods they are using to collect the data, and the controls (or lack thereof) in place over the agencies. Whether they store illegally obtained surveillance data for five years or five minutes, it is still illegally obtained. Data that has been obtained legally and for the legitimate purpose of safeguarding the nation should not have an expiration date.

• No, its an invasion of privacy

Do they really need to do it for five years? I understand the need to keep the peace and with data out there, its much easier to keep track of our actions. I don;t want my actions for the past five years looked at,but I know everyone else doesn't either. Its too much and shouldn't be allowed.

• No They Shouldn't

I believe the United States has reached an overbearing point with their surveillance data and I feel they have data they shouldn't have collected in the first place. Therefore, I do not think they should store any surveillance data and the certainly shouldn't be allowed to keep it for five years.