• Inefficient. Unethical. Unconstitutional.

The United States government has only done its citizens a huge disservice by criminalizing drug use. Every individual in this country enjoys the right to bodily autonomy. The legal foundation for this argument lies in our Founding Documents: the rights to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. Furthermore, among these rights, is also the right to property. Our bodies are our property. If someone sees that using drugs makes them happy, that is also their right to pursue happiness.

The government has not competently dealt with drugs. By making drugs illegal, they have empowered the cartels. Hence, drugs are often associated with crime. Legalize and tax the drugs, and suddenly you have a boom in that industry as a legal business. The governments of varying states can then also use that tax money to fund different sectors of their economy.

The war on drugs is a wreck, and it's time we take our rights back. Decriminalize and legalize all drugs.

• Government should only restrict actions that infringe on the rights of others

I am personally against the use of recreational drugs but I also don't agree with imposing my personal moral standards on others. I understand that drug use has a negative effect on society and thus a negative effect on individuals but the government should be restricted to direct violations of rights rather than restricting the rights of citizens to benefit the collective. That is a slippery slope fallacy that, if taken to it's logical conclusion, gives the government the authority to make almost every decision on behalf of individuals.

• Most people saying no are using hypocritical arguments.

An argument I see is "drugs can hurt people, so of course they should be illegal!" To which I ask, shouldn't guns also be illegal then? And alcohol? And medicine too, which can be abused or cause harm if the patient is allergic. Another argument I have is that if the use of drugs is something that affects mainly the user and it does not harm those around them then it is unethical to deny someone this control over their own life. Lastly, look at the statistics after Panama decriminalized drugs. 'Nuff said.

• Yes they should

People can go to jail even for over a decade just for possessing drugs. It is crazy you can go to jail for so long for a non-violent activity. Now of course driving while high should be illegal just as drunk driving is, and if drug use harms your family then it should be dealt with. However addiction should be treated as a medical rather than legal issue.

• Yes they should

It is ridiculous that someone can go to prison, even for over a decade for a nonviolent activity. If it doesn't directly affect someone else no need to criminalize it. Now certainly driving while high should be illegal, and if drug use affects the family it should be dealt with. However addiction should be considered a medical rather than legal issue.

• No Way! ! !

What?!? Are you guys crazy, decriminalizing marijuana is already destroying us. Teens are dropping out, more crime, and economy is dropping. Go watch some Watters world where he asks potheads dumb questions like" who was the united states first president" and they dont even know. This is a disgrace. I understand for medical use but not for teens.

• Are you crazy!Drugs can be bad!

Yes drugs can help people but just the same they can hurt people or cause people to harm outhers and they can cause you to go crazy!And just imagen what could happen to our nation!More people could get STD's!And what would that lead to?Death and pain and even more STD's!!

• No Way! ! !

What?!? Are you guys crazy, decriminalising marijuana is already destroying us. Teens are dropping out, more crime, and economy is dropping. Go watch some Watters world where he asks potheads dumb questions like "who was the United States' first president" and they don't even know. This is a disgrace. I understand for medical use but not for teens.