Should the use of performance-enhancing drugs in sports be legalized?

• Don't be fat and lazy.

If you think it should be legal, you are probably too lazy to train, sweat and practice. No wonder you are fat. America is the fattest country on earth. You have McDonalds, KFC and Burger King on every street. You have air delivered McDonalds. Lance Armstrong was American. You dopey dog.

• Life isn't a level playing field!

The concept that everyone has the same chance in sport is ridiculous. Developed countries have institutes of sport, funding, doctors and wealthy athletes. Therefore, an athlete from a smaller less developed sports program cannot match this and there is an inherent disadvantage from the outset. Therefore, it is nonsensical to say that drug use in sport would be cheating, as the playing field will never be even. The use of drugs does not mean that an athlete simply wins without hard work and sacrifice, it simply makes the results better and the spectacle greater.

• Is it really as bad as people say to take PEDs?

EPO is a drug taken to increase red blood cell production. This is illegal. High-altitude training increases red blood cell production. This is legal. Both confer an advantage to those who use it.

Painkillers and even caffeine can be classed as performance enhancing drugs in sport, yet no one would care one bit if you arrive in the office on a Monday morning with a cup of coffee or having taken a pain killer. Why is this such a big deal in sport and not other professions?

If drugs provide unfair advantage then so does your genetics. the latter though is 'natural' and so acceptable.

• Yes because its their choice!

It makes for better sport. Ufc would be way better since its essentially the gladiator pit minus the killing. Those arguing that it has long term side effects, well who the hell cares its not you body! You know what has instant death or long term effects far worse? Guns! If I want to inject myself for sport or personal gain it should not be anyone's business. If drugs shall be illegal then so shall guns. No one strictly on ped has killed anyone due to the drug. Before anyone says yes those wrestlers and others, well they were high on a mix of cocaine and other drugs.

• People will be people.

No matter if it legal or not people will continue to do it. The only way to fix it would be to equalize it and let it be. If everyone takes the same dose it will be the same but better to watch. If they want to take drugs so be it at their own consequences. It isn't affecting anybody else so who cares? These people only want to be equal so let them see the truth. Cheating by taking drugs is the same as it being legal only without consequence. Some people may say it is deadly and has consequences. Um, hello, what about smoking? That is legal only nobody seems to care. They may say it doesn't matter everyone does it. So, let's drop the whole drug thing and adapt to more important subjects like things that are already legal and are killing people without any personal benefit unless they are suicidal. Let's make it legal and we will forget about it soon and it will just become another every day thing.

• If its going to be banned for sports, why isn't it completely banned for the rest of the country.

I am not a big fan of sports so I believe let them do what they want. But if they Re planning to ban it for sports completely then why don't they catch out the drugs that is used outside of the sports industry. Why does it seem like they are only focusing on the sports?

• They really don't play as big a role as you think.

Being on steroids does not guarantee you a victory and not taking steroids
    doesn't mean you can't win. I've never used them, I'm fortunate to have
    good genes and my youth which has allowed me to beat guys who have used
    steroids. Many sports rely on skill as much as physical ability.

• They take them whether it's legal or not.

Neil Armstrong took drugs and no one knew of it, and others did and still do. Yeah it has effects afterwards but it's their choice whether it's legal or not. Many people just picked NO because all they hear is "it's bad for you, it makes you a cheater," and so on, but it doesn't change much at all.

• Yes for safety

Should performance enhancing drugs be legal? Performance enhancing drugs should be legalized as long as these drugs are distributed correctly. Taking risks with their health is an athlete’s decision to make and using these drugs is part of the evolution of sports much like improved training techniques and new technologies. The reality is that no matter what these drugs will always be obtainable by any athlete through some sorts of supplements.

If distributed thoroughly and safely then performance enhancing drugs should be legal. In Ryan Joan’s “Is it time to legalize steroids? / Its certainly far too late to ban them” he explains why PED’s should be legalized. Joans says that these drugs have been banned due to the safety of athletes and the mental and physical after effects caused, even death. Like most prescription drugs, steroids are dangerous when used improperly. “But steroids and human growth hormones themselves are not “bad”. Steroids and performance enhancers are used for a number of health reasons. “Cancer patients are usually given steroids to help increase muscle mass, energy and appetite.”(Ann Olsen) Olsen is explaining the positives of PED’s and what they can be used for such as fighting cancer.

So if you concede that these drugs are here to stay in sports, wouldn't the players be safer if they didn't go to backroom hucksters with no medical background but rather to doctors who can prescribe and supervise usage according to a player's medical history, physical condition and professional goals(Joan)?” So if managed and treated properly then there would be a large decrease in the number of mental and physical problems and this would be an understandable reason for legalization of PED’s.

Performance enhancing drugs will always be obtainable by any athlete and are actually used by almost everyone every day! The following listed are performance enhancers people use every day: stimulants, sedatives, anti-nausea agents, beta blockers, painkillers and diuretics. Stimulants are psychoactive drugs which induce temporary improvements in either mental or physical functions or both such as coffee. Sedatives reduce and relieve stress and irritability. Beta blockers are used for their ability to reduce nervousness and shaking and are used heavily by musicians, actors and surgeons. "Creatine is an example of a popular supplement used by non-elite athletes in hopes of increasing creatine phosphate, which in turn produces adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the chemical that provides all the energy for work performed by muscles"(Nyfeler). Leah Nyfeler explains how even non-elite athletes and even regular people are PED users. So before judging these athletes and these PED’s remember that you yourself are a user of some of these enhancers.

Sports is about exploring and stretching the limits of human potential. Going back even to pre-modern Olympics, when athletes ate live bees and ate crushed sheep testicles to get a leg up on the competition. Sports have never been some natural display of physical ability alone. Resourcefulness, innovation, and knowledge about what makes us faster and stronger has always been a part of the game.

• My Body My Choice

I have no problem with the NFL or the NHL or ... decided to ban these drugs. In fact I hope they continue to do so. However, for the government to do so intrudes on the most basic of human rights, right to ownership of one's own body and mind. It's also a waste of our time and money for Congress to be holding hearings over suspected steroid use. That alone should get people to support legalization, it wastes our politicians' time that could be spent on better things. Private organizations, I have no problem with them banning these drugs, particularly if they deem them cheating under their rules. Government bans are different.

• Drugs and sports don't mix.

If they take some performance-enhancing drugs then they are making themselves better than anyone else giving themselves an advantage over everyone else which is cheating, so why should they get money for using drugs to win, how do we know they aren't actually good at that sport. It doesn't make sense for people to get awards for cheating.

• Tell you everything you don't know

We barely know any of the effects at all! We should not legalize performance enhancing drugs because there are so many different health risks we don't know about. MayoClinic proves performance enhancing drugs to give such health problems like baldness infertility, and heart problems! Do we really want to unleash these problems on our athletes we admire so much?

• Performance enhancing drugs can be compared to murder

Sure, drug taking has been going on for as long as sport has been around and many people would say just let them be legalised. Hasn't murder been going on since the beginning of humanity? Isn't murder in our world everyday? It is and it has come to be part of our human existence but let me ask you this... If someone said "oh just let murder be legalised because it's been going on for a long time", where is the justice in that? How can you say that just because something wrong has been going on for a long time then you should just let it be?

• How is that fair?

If we allow athletes to use performance-enhancing drugs, it means that it is not an even playing field. This would force athletes who do not want to use these drugs to either stop playing the sport or take the drugs, against their wishes just so that they can have an equal chance.

• Performance-enhancing drugs are unfair to those athletes who actually work for their performance.

It is not fair that other athletes work really hard to be the best and the athletes that take PEDs just take a shortcut. There are also health factors. For instance, you may just faint while you're doing the sport or something worse may happen. Using drugs means you ignore your body's needs. For example, if you've been working out for ages and you've taken drugs, then your body forgets how hot it is and doesn't do anything. This can lead to overheating of your body, dehydration and so on. It should not be allowed if you want the athletes to live.

• Is it a contest of sport or who can invent the best drug?

Performance enhancing drugs in sport should not be tolerated and should be illegal.
    The taking of these performance enhancing drugs isn't fair, we’re encouraging youth to take these drugs and it can have dramatic health risks weather it is short term or long term.

Performance enhancing drugs in sport such as the commonly known steroids give the consumer an unfair advantage on rival competitors. Is it really fair if one athlete who has the financial means to buy these products has an advantage due to that and not his natural raw talent? If drugs in sport are aloud then wont it really be a competition on who can create and afford the best drugs and not the untampered skill that these athletes who train for thousands of hours genuinely possess.

If we allow drugs in sport what is it teaching the youth of society? Is it telling them that you don't have to work hard to become and athlete and that you can take shortcuts to get what you want. Is this the child you want to raise? A slacker who finds the easy way out. This isn't the message that should be sent out to the youth of our country. We should be teaching the developing nation that if they want something bad enough they will have to put in the hard work and pain in order to reach there goals and not that everything in life will come easy to them.

Many drugs have harmful effects on the human body. These may not be visible until many years into the future but when discovered can lesson the quality of life in later years and can even send you to a premature death.An example of this is a body builder who went by the name of Zyzz who was idolized by many adolescents.It is a known fact that he took performance enhancing drugs in which put much stress on his body contributing to his death at only 22 years of age.

To conclude performance enhancing drugs give an unfair advantage, are harmful to athletes and give a bad message to the upcoming generation. If we allow performance enhancing drugs in sport then we have lost the real meaning of competition. It is designed to show off how hard someone has worked and we admire that. With the introduction of these drugs we should really be giving praise to the scientists not the athletes.

• Performance enhancing drugs should not be legalized

It ruins the game and it ruins yourself. It ruins the fairness of the game. And in the long term your muscles are going to get screwed up. Performance enhancing drugs ruin the intensity and meaning of the game, because it wouldn't be as special to win anymore.

• Bad for Health

It is dangerous for athletes to use these drugs because it pushes their heart to far for them to handle. In some cases it even causes death. It takes down their over all popularity to the public. Athletes will tell you that it isn't but it is. Nothing but cheating.

• Drugs in sports are CHEATING!

If we use drugs in sports, we wont see who's better at the sport we'll just see who's the biggest drug user. I think people that use drugs in sports are weaklings. I mean the people that are using drugs aren't giving the people that aren't using drugs a chance.

• Unfair Advantage In Games

If PED were legalized, everyone would take them, and athletes dont take PED's to be at the same level of athletes, NO, they take them to have an advantage over other athletes, therefor if everyone was taking them, they would have to up the dosage to become better then others and if everyone was upping their dosage, the games would get extreme and also highly dangerous.

Anonymous says2013-03-05T22:58:30.243
PED's are cheating!!!
Anonymous says2013-03-26T01:44:10.023
I think that using drugs to make you faster or better at a sport is not a good idea for the body. The body is very unique in the way it works. These type of drugs could help an athlete be faster and better at what they do but later on in there lives it could cause liver abnormalities and tumors, increased low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (the "bad" cholesterol, High blood pressure (hypertension), Heart and circulatory problems, and these are just a few. I know that many athletes use drugs to be at the top of there game but after reading about all the athletes that use performing enhancing drugs makes me think.. Is he real or he is on something? Using drugs to boost up your oxygen or make you faster and stronger is like cheating in my opinion. I think that if you are a strong and a fast person and good at what you do then you deserve to be successful as an athlete but if your not and you have to use drugs to make you better is cheating. I think that they should restrict the use of performance enhancing drugs. I don't see why someone would have
Anonymous says2013-04-03T00:22:53.020
I am writing a report on PED's and I found out that the health risks are crazy dangerous! The steroids basically turn a woman into a man and a man into a women. PED's can also lead to death, not to mention unfairness. PED's are a shortcut to being great, rather than actual work and training. They are basically cheating but allowed (sort of)
Anonymous says2013-04-24T14:16:37.710
Drugs make sports unfair
Anonymous says2013-06-25T07:51:26.307
I believe that performance enhancing drugs should be illegal. What ever happened to embracing the sport for the sport and not for how strong the players are? It ruins the sense of fair play and now all the society is worried about is who wins and how much money is made and lost. And what about the side effects and all the diseases and health issues down the track for all these players? Its for their own benefit. People should make a success from hard work and their own effort, not from some injection.
Tia.20 says2016-03-11T04:35:29.690
Firstly that having a league that allows drug use is fundamentally contrary to the spirit of sport and human ethics.
All through our life we have been taught to always play fair, and look out for others amongst many other things. Even in sport, the spirit of sport specifies that all players should play fair, play honestly, look after their health and have respect for themselves and others. If you allow drug use into sport you will be acting against this basic principle. By taking drugs athletes are no longer true to themselves or are respecting themselves, they are “cheating” even in a league where the use of drugs is permitted. Professional sport is supposed to be based on skill and if they use these, performance-enhancing drugs, professional sport will no longer be based on skill, but instead on how many drugs you take and how your body reacts to it. Using drugs in sport is in no way fair play, even if they are in a league of their own. Anyone who takes drugs could keep up with someone who has that natural ability if not beat them. Sports people would no longer try their best but just rely on the drugs to help them win. Not only will athletes come to rely on these drugs but professional sport will become money based, as it will no longer be based on the person with the best skills, but the person who can afford the best drugs.
Secondly we have a moral obligation to protect athletes.
Policies and rules about drug use are created and enforced for a reason, the AIS has strong policies and rules about the use of drugs and doping, for the purpose of protecting their athletes. Certain performance enhancing drugs such as Human growth hormone can have terrible side affects. Carpal tunnel syndrome, high cholesterol levels and nerve muscle and joint pain are just a few of the terrible results of drugs use. If we allow the use of drugs you are telling people that they are acceptable. If we are telling people that it is ok to do drugs, then more people will be inclined to try them. We will be our lives and our athlete’s lives at risk. We will think that the use of drugs is not only accepted but something that is glamorized. If we allow drug use hundreds will die, even with out the promotion of drugs in sport 44 people on average died each day in 2013 in the U.S alone. What will this mean for us if hundreds of people die each day from something that is promoted, something that is glamorized. In addition to this where will it be stopped, if you allow drugs in one section of our lives how long will it take for it to spill over into all the other sections. When dancers find out that they can dance higher and longer, will that be allowed? Or what about when business men realize that they can work longer when on drugs will it be allowed to them as well? There will be no sure way to confine drugs to one section of our lives and people will always end up getting hurt and it is our job to protect athletes and other people from the effects of drug use.
Tia.20 says2016-03-11T04:35:43.200