Should the use of the word "retarded" be banned?

Asked by: ALittleLiberal
  • It's used offensively.

The way people use it is meant to insult someone. It is no longer used as medical terminology, but instead it is used as the equivalent of "stupid". That ultimately degrades self esteem. People who have a mental disability or who know someone with a mental disability take this word offensively.

• No practical way.

I don't see any way that could possibly be enforced and it would cheapen the victory anyway. It would be better to see the world choose to cease the use of an offensive word because they have consciously chosen to take a higher moral path rather than see it forced through some sort of ban. The negative ideas would still be there and they would simply find an alternate expression.

• Hello my dudes

What the hell. Do you really thin kthat you can enforce this? Even then, it's a pretty accurate scientific term, and makes for a really good sarcastic insult. "retarded" isn't used to try to be offensive, it's used as a joke insult to try to make people angry, not offend.

• Hello my dudes

• Free speech is Moral,

Limitations are not. I have to be able to say: You're a douchebag. I'll suffer consquences: you beating me up. The law says if I say bad words I'll go to jail for months! Jail makes some people more inapt to commit crimes. I want free speech, don't ban free speech, or the government will one day make us unable to communicate and we'll all be their slaves.

• Not because I do not like political correctness

The word "retarded" is the scientific word, whether he likes it or not.
    By stupid political correctness, constantly we invent "the wheel" again, because thou hast social group data word, do not like, and I do not care.

I myself can be regarded as a "retarded" because the band suffers from Asperger's, I have a 100 IQ but I would prefer to have more :-)

In my view, every word can be used as an insult, it just depends on the context in which it is used.