• At this age we will know who and what to vote for

At the age of 18, you most likely came out of high school and have no clue to vote for. Most will vote randomly at this age and some will get suggestions of others instead of thinking and choosing the right party and some probably will be to lazy to vote at this age.

• No Real World Experience

A child does not vote because he doesn't know the difference and he doesn't know how the parties are affecting the real world. A young adult (18-20) knows the difference, but does not know yet how they are impacting the real world. That's my problem with people voting under 21. Someone fresh out of high school or in his last year of high school hasn't gone out and faced a problem to be able to say "Obama did it!" or "Bush's policies are causing an exploitation on the poor for the rich!" Yet if you ask one of them on the subject, they're still a tape-recorder for what their parents and/or teachers have taught them. I knew some students that for the Obama election voted for him just because they thought they'd be more debt free and that type of narrow view is all they have to support when they vote. For reference, I was an undergraduate myself for those elections.

• I think that the voting age should be increase to 21 as people are more mature at that stage

I think that the voting age should be increase to 21 as people are more mature at that stage because in this stage they fight for their country in war and also pay taxes and they are also aware about their country's politics. Most of them are well educated and easily reads the mind of every candidates for election.

• DRINKING and VOTING

If a person is too childish to drink responsibly at 18, then the child is too childish to be voting at 18.

It so happens that there's another argument for raising the voting age: Obamacare has raised already the age of majority into the middle twenties.

Raise the voting age.

• No real world experience.

It is true that a mechanic who spends twenty years working on cars will more often know how to fix a car better than a person just starting off. But just because he has spent twenty years of his life working on cars that doesn't mean he has spent twenty years being politically critical and thoughtful. He may, in fact, be politically impaired and have basically no understanding. With experience there also comes bias from experience. And honestly, sometimes experience can actually be a detriment to someone. The longer we live with a lie, the harder it becomes to disbelieve it. The longer we're told something, the more we believe it. And with how completely out of control the media has become, I doubt that even the most biased, partisan person will disagree with me on this. In fact, allow me to teach you a lesson on how experience works

• Yes it should

The fact that 18 year olds do not know anything about life because they are still living at home and are still naive to certain aspects of life and still have so much to acknowledge that their vote should not be valid and therefore the voting age should be raised to 21.

• Yes it should

The 18-20 year old girls/ boys may be counted as a legal adult but they have never had the chance to be a mature and responsible adult because most live with their parents and don't pay taxes. They may know the different parties and politics but they don't know how to vote as a mature adult. So yes I agree it should be raised to 21.

• Age maturity Choices

They are more likely to be sure of who, why, and how will they vote for the ones they think are responsible for the duties assigned to the leaders-to-be. They know what they are doing based on their experiences and perception for the coming election, thus making them the wiser ones.

• I think yes!!!!

Because many of us do not understand what voting can do for our country. We usually get our opinions and knowledge from some other person and most of the 18 year olds would not care who won or who didn't. I think we should raise the voting age back it 21 and see what that does for our country!

• It should be change to 21

It should be changed to 21 years old because the brain is not fully developed at 18 years old. It is fully developed at twenty five years old. So it should be changed to at least the age of twenty one years old also they are more aware of our countries politics

• The voting age should be reduced to 16. Thinking and voting are skills best learned while young.

Age discrimination is bad public policy.
    If a person is contributing to society they should have a vote in how that contribution gets used.
    Although there will be problems with any boundaries, here is my suggestion.

All citizens over 16 who work and pay income tax should be encouraged to vote.

This removes from voting the following
    1. People under 16 (more likely IMO to duplicate parents vote),
    2. People who refuse to work and pay income tax,
    3. People who have left the work force and are relying on social assistance,

NOTE Retired people who pay tax on their investments still vote in this scenario.

This is not perfect, but it is simple enough to be made to work.
    Voting registration would be done when paying income tax.

• Age does not represent maturity

I,myself think that the voting age should be lowered age does not represent maturity,even if you are sixteen, that does not automatically mean you can drive a car. You have to pass a test and have a license before being allowed to drive. So if they can carry that responsibility of putting their self and others in risk than, who says this can’t apply to voting as well? While some teenagers may not understand politics, this does not apply to all. Many adults may also not be fully educated on voting.

• It is unfair to have a voting age

In my honest opinion, having a voting age discriminates against youths as it denies them the opportunity to vote. If there is a voting age, the society is not democratic and there have been incidences where the politicians have passed laws that are against young people eg when the coalition government of the UK increased the tuition fees. Why did they pick on the young people? Because they couldn't vote.

• There are not any wrong votes and age really isn't maturity.

Why should it matter what a 16 year old votes for? There are many 18 and 50 year olds that make "bad" choices to some people, but others would agree. So why should that be any different for 16 year olds? Also, why does everyone think that everyone matures at the same age? Truth is, they don't. So why do we not let 16 year olds vote? There are, I admit, many immature 16 year olds, but there are also many immature 18 and 50 year olds . In conclusion, I believe 16 year olds should be allowed to vote because "age isn't maturity," (as stated in earlier comments) and "There are no wrong votes."

• Age does not define maturity

Even if you are sixteen, that does not automatically mean you can get behind the wheel. You have to pass a test and obtain a license before being allowed to drive. Who says this can’t apply to voting as well? While some teenagers may not understand the concept of politics, this does not apply to all. Many adults may also not be fully educated on voting.

• No real world experience.

• Age isn't maturity

I know people who are 13 and are more mature and knowledgeable than 18 year olds. I think voters should take a citizen test like the tests a foreigner takes to become a US citizen, no matter what age they are. If they pass, they should be able to vote.

• Voting Should Be Lowered

I think it should be lowered to sixteen. If sixteen-year-olds are aloud to get a job and pay taxes, then they should have a right to vote for who runs the country, who represents your own state, anything. I think some people might need to take a test to see if you're mentally ready to vote also.

• There shouldn't be a voting age.

Age is an arbitrary, illogical way of determining whether or not somebody should be allowed to vote. I would rather have a mature, intelligent and politically knowledgeable 16 year old vote rather than a completely ignorant, dumb person who turned 18 before the election or some uninformed 35 year old. We should require people to take tests prior to registration to determine their judgment. Some 12 year olds are easily influenced by their parents saying "Obama is better than Romney" but some aren't. We should have some flexibility in the system to distinguish the two.

Posted by: luvx
  • No real world experience.

Is not a lack of intelligence. I have met an amazing amount of people that are older than me that are intellectually bankrupt. Which isn't to say that I haven't met stupid people younger than me and around my age. That are dumb. Really though,I'm just trying to say that stupid people come in all shapes and sizes and in all ages.

It is true that a mechanic who spends twenty years working on cars will more often know how to fix a car better than a person just starting off. But just because he has spent twenty years of his life working on cars that doesn't mean he has spent twenty years being politically critical and thoughtful. He may, in fact, be politically impaired and have basically no understanding. With experience there also comes bias from experience. And honestly, sometimes experience can actually be a detriment to someone. The longer we live with a lie, the harder it becomes to disbelieve it. The longer we're told something, the more we believe it. And with how completely out of control the media has become, I doubt that even the most biased, partisan person will disagree with me on this. In fact, allow me to teach you a lesson on how experience works.

Question: Is beer better served ice cold?

If you answered yes, then here's an interesting little lesson for you. That's not true, the reason beer corporations keep pushing that is because there beer lacks any actual taste - it's simply just harder to notice that when it's colder. A lot of our society are based around lies that simply became true because they were repeated. Experience only reinforces it because we hear the lies longer. So, yeah. The older I get, the more confused I get. You vote one party or the other and it seems they both have completely separate facts that just completely contradict each other. So, I don't really believe this is an age problem. I believe it's an intelligence problem. We have people young and old voting with out any knowledge on the actual subject they're voting on. The age shouldn't be increased to 21, but I really think we need to have some better standards in who we let vote.

Mocha_Latte says2015-09-25T03:13:23.617
Oh no
Mocha_Latte says2015-09-25T03:14:05.087
I dont aprove