Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• The name is offensive

The word Redskin is clearly racist. What if they were the Whiteskins, Yellowskins or Blackskins? Would anybody think twice about changing the name? The answer is that it would have never been allowed in the first place. This is not about political correctness this is simply about using a racist term against the most oppressed people in American history.

• The Washington Redskins should change their since it offends Native Americans.

As a Native American, I find it offensive that Washington ownership is profiting from using a racial slur to sell merchandise and promote a game I enjoy. I have been called that name in anger before, and to see it emblazoned on tv, print and digital advertising is offensive to me. I speak only for myself and my view on the name. The fact that Washington was also the last NFL team to integrate, in 1961, shows the team's track record of cultural insensitivity.

• Ponder this. You wouldn't...

...Have a team named the New York [worst name you can think to call an African American]
    ...Have a team named the Chicago [worst name you can think to call an Asian American]
    ...Have a team named the Houston [worst name you can think to call a Caucasian]
    ...Have a team named the St. Louis [worst name you can think to call a Latino(a)]

So why, in the nation's capital no less, are we allowed to have a team named with the worst name you can think of for Native Americans? If the community of people you are "honoring" is telling you that it is not an honor...How can you argue with that? It is dehumanizing and puts a whole group of people in the past as opposed to currently living, working, wearing blue jeans, and existing in America as Americans?

• Time to be positive

Why offend some people when it it easy to correct. Makes no sense at all. A century ago RG III would have been just another n&**er with no chance, now we have a talented QB who has been given the chance he deserved. Lets get rid of offensive names. Maybe there's talented Native Americans who can be NFL stars if they felt they had a chance.

• The term "Redskins" could be taken as offensive

The term redskins could be offensive. It is used as a racial slur. You wouldn't say it to someone in a friendly way, like saying "Hey bro!". When you are using the term redskin, you usually say (just an example, don't take seriously) "You filthy Redskin!" It is not only racist, but stereo typical. If the team had any pride, they would change the name to something else. Even the Washington Natives would be better. (Sorry for any grammar mistakes, I am only 12.)

• The Washington Darlings

The name is racist and insensitive. I support naming the team a name that is not associated with racism and ignorance. The name Redskins is a racial slur aimed at insulting and demeaning American Indians. Even if a person does not agree, in the name of basic compassion we should honor their sentiments and change the name to one that does not degrade any ethnic group. It would be like calling the team the "Washington Coons". Think about it.

• It's a matter of respect--Plain & Simple

The name is offensive because Native Americans say it is. You cannot judge whether a name is offensive when it does not apply to you. Think about the racial slurs or derogatory images that are associated with your race. Would you be ok with a team being called by one of the negative names associated with your race? Probably not. Then why is it any different when it is a negarive Native American symbol. To not change it is arrogant and disrespectful. Treat people the way you would want to be treated.

• "Redskin" is a racial slur!

You wouldn't really name a team a derogatory word? Im sure many people would like to keep it the same as it is, but "redskin" is degrading and offending. It isn't that hard to come up with a name that is not derogatory. For example, The Washington wolves. That wasn't that hard, was it?

• Redskin= Racial Slur

Redskin is a racial slur. While it may not have started out that way, historically the term became derogatory and used to describe Native Americans as less than human. There are no teams called "Chinks" or "Gooks" or "Blackskins" because that would be offensive. An ignorant man gave his team a racial slur for a name- back when it was acceptable. It was also "acceptable" for people to use the N word once upon a time. It's not anymore- and it's not acceptable to call a team "redskins."

• Offensive to a nation of people.

When a name or logo brings positive, or at least neutral feelings toward the group it represents its fine. But when the representative group is offended, then it should be changed. If Indian Nations take offense to the name and logo, and rightfully so, then it is time to do something different. Take nominations form the fans/residents and vote. Isn't that what our country does? Change is a part of our nation, so maybe the football franchise can lead the way. Some thoughts...Revolution, Generals, Federals, Raptors, etc. The list is endless!

• No, "Redskins" is not an offensive name.

People need to lighten up a little bit on the political correctness issue. I don't see why the Cowboys shouldn't have to change their name also. Words or names only have power if we give it to them. Some names for races do seem designed to be very negative in a hurtful way, but I don't think redskins is one of them, it was simply a way of describing their appearance much as the word black is used today to describe a race.

• The Washington Football Redskins

Hail to the Redskins!
    Hail Victory!
    Braves on the Warpath!
    Fight for old D.C.!
    Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
    Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
    Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
    Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
    Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
    Hail to the Redskins!
    Hail Victory!
    Braves on the Warpath!
    Fight for old D.C.!

Sincerely, A Redskin

• Historically Not A Derogatory Term

"A BBC News Magazine online article by Tom Geoghegan (posted 9/13/2013) deals with the history of the term "redskins." Apparently it was used by natives in America to distinguish themselves from Europeans. This tidbit comes from Ives Goddard, senior linguist at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC. That a term used by the natives themselves would be derogatory does not make any sense, Goddard points out."

• What do the Native Americans say?

Enough of this PC garbage. Why didn't Costas and his ilk whine about this supposedly horrible slur twenty years ago? How about the NY Jets; "jet" means 'black.' The Steelers glorifies criminal activity and reminds their fans of the now defunct steel industry. How many in our nation have suffered from Pirates, Buccaneers, Hurricanes? American sports, thy name is trauma, insult thy lexicon.
    Give us Terrific Teddy Bears, Funny Fluffies, and how my Irish ire is raised by racist Notre Dame's Fighting Irish; let us have Accommodating Little People...Errrr, never mind.

• No. The Washington Redskins should not change their name.

Some have stated that the "Redskins" is a rather offensive name to Native Americans. However, the problem here is that there has been no study indicating that it is offensive even to a significant minority of Native Americans. If it is, then they ought to change it. But changing it without an approvable cause would just cause confusion as well as forcing the local area to incur financial expenses.

• No, there is nothing wrong with their name.

They've had that name for years. It's just the name of a football team. Anyone who would be offended by it is simply looking for something to be offended about. No one is hurt or discriminated against because of the name of a football team. As a society, we have much bigger problems than the name of a football team.

• Should all teams with human mascots change their names?

The purpose of having a team name or mascot is to define unity and exhibit power. A mascot or team name should show dominance and provide recognition to the city or establishment they are representing.
    Anyone ever notice that mascots such as the Generals, Cavaliers, Spartans, and even the Patriots never have any issues? The one commonality between the mascots is that they are Caucasian. So it is OK to recognize a white mascot, but not a mascot of another akin color?
    If the Redskins change their name then it should be required for all human mascots to change as well.
    No one of another ethnicity ever asked “Why the New England Patriot, the SF 49er, or the Minnesota Viking white?” So we are basically stating mascots have to be of the white race. I think that is a little more offensive, racist, and discriminating towards the Redskins, Braves, Indians, ETC

• The "Redskins" name has a history to it

The name "Redskins" has a history of being over 70 schools' name and mascot. It is a schools pride and joy. It is their battle cry. Let them have it. It's not racist if its been the Washington's football team's name for over 80 years. It's original history, the Indians vs. the cowboys (1800's) may have been a massacre, but it had nothing to do with football.

• It's not a big deal

The Redskins have been a football team for 80 years and all of a sudden their name has become a big deal. It's not. There are plenty of teams with names that could be seen as racist towards Native Americans, like The Blackhawks, Indians, and Braves. America is becoming too politically correct.

• Unfair and should not be debated

We Redskin fans have always known them as redskins, I am not changing ANYTHING. I LOVE my Redskins. REDSKINS. The redtails? Are you joking me? The Redskins is not controversial or should be debated. It is NOT offending and neither should it be it is representing bravery and courage and pride. Hail to the Redskins.

Anonymous says2013-09-05T20:04:18.887
Every one is way to worried about hurting people's feelings these days. All this political correctness is bs. And Redskins is not the same as the N word.
LadyofRedskin says2014-08-17T20:35:01.183
NO the name is not RACIST! I am Native American with a very strong will! I am here to hope other Native Americans will follow my path! I lived a really traumatic life. I had to at the age of 38 take four different Trauma Classes and one PTSD class. The 1st class it took me four times to complete. Trauma is caused by issues in your past. You can do several things to get past it either you can give in and blame the world for your issues or you can face it head on! I choose to face it head on when people made me aware of the fact that I was traumatized. I felt as though people just used me! I had no idea not everyone lived this way. But people such as Arthur RAYMOND Halbritter seek out people as you and I. People who have low self-esteem(plz don't get me wrong, I no longer have low self-esteem!). Ray Halbritter is a fraud and a scammer. He tries to get to Native Americans with low self-esteem to get what he needs from them. Ray Halbrittter started this agenda and planning almost 25 years ago. Dec. 04, 2003 Mary Maisie Shenandoah was fighting to keep her ancestral land from being taken from her by Halbritter. Mary Maise Shenandoah was the Clan mother of Oneida Nation and Ray Halbritter's aunt. But in 1995 Ray Halbritter made it to where she "lost her voice" not allowed to any of Oneida Nations services or programs. This is what Halbritter does if you go up against him. Here is another link to a very important article if you do not know the truth of Ray Halbritter please read! : http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/NATIVE-AMERICAN-NEWS/2002-08/1029995250 Also another article written to attempt to help the Shenandoah family from Ray Halbritter: http://archives.theglobalreport.org/issues/194/nationalnews.html . Please I am here for the truth to come out if you have been harassed or threatened by Arthur Raymaond Halbritter please let me know! I can help in a lot of ways. We were born Native Americans and we need to stick together. But fighting the name "REDSKINS" will not keep us strong and together as Mother Earth and Father Sky wants us! Can't you see Ray Halbritter is not the way to go. He is a controlling man. That in itself shows he has many issues of his own. Here is a quote from an article I will leave the link to " He wanted to be a part of the white man's system, "an exclusive club" he called it. " Link: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2013/10/race-baiting_oneida_nation_leader_has_problems_of_his_own.html Please give this whole argument another look! Here it states that " Today the U.S. government but not the Grand Council of Chiefs gives official recognition to the Oneida Indian Nation with Ray Halbritter as its representative." Grand Council of Chiefs does NOT back Halbritter! Link: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgreenfield/casino-kingpin-and-fake-indian-chief-targets-redskins/ Recently I was blessed to do a podcast with Assemblywoman Claudia Tenney who shed a lot of light on Ray Halbritter wanting to evict 100% Native American from the Oneida Nation Melvin Phillips. I was also blessed with speaking with him and that is where I was educated about Mary Maisie Shenandoah and the rest of the family Halbritter turned his back on! Here is a link to what Assemblywoman Claudia Tenney brought to light! : http://wonkette.com/531663/daily-caller-exposes-native-american-activist-as-total-white-guy-or-something-rendering-dc-sportsball-teams-name-inoffensive also here is the whole podcast that we did with Assemblywoman Claudia Tenney: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/battleraparena/2014/06/18/redskins-lose-trademark also here is the article written from Podcast : http://httr4life.com/just-who-is-ray-halbritter/ I am warning you all please stop supporting a man who is after all the Native American's land that is of value to the Government! He will turn his back on you if you fight back so please stop before it starts! Here is the Melvin Phillips story link: http://melvinphillipsstory.com/halbritter/ please read all links and get educated and see if you want to be treated as Halbritter's family was and as Melvin Phillips is! Here is a link to unearthing the truth while Halbritter was fighting to stop the Redskins name! Link: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/21/redskins-name-fight-unearths-questions-about-oneid/?page=all Very good read by Native American: http://www.badeagle.com/2013/10/10/redskins-forever/ Joanne Shenandoah one of those evicted has become an advocate for PEACE and has overcome the trauma of eviction and rebuttal by Halbritter! Link : http://www.manataka.org/page2783.html here is a link of Joanne's husband telling about what it is like to have "your Voice Removed" not to have a say , etc... With your nation because of Ray Halbritter: link : http://www.oneidasfordemocracy.org/main/a-historical-journey-by-doug-george-kanentiio/ Some Oneida Nation Natives have been called Racist to oppose the Casinos? I feel Ray Halbritter just loves to throw the word Raciest around! Link: http://www.speakupwny.com/article_2996.shtml I wish I could keep educating the Native Americans about Arthur Raymond Halbritter but there is a 900 word limit here! I hope you will stop and reconsider the fight against the Redskins name. It is neither racist nor derogatory it is Pride because thee Native Americans do not have much representing them. Walter "Blackie" Wetzel created the Redskins logo for PRIDE, HONOR, RESPECT, UNITY and especially FAMILY! Link : http://conservativetribune.com/redskins-logo-native-american/ Link: http://weaselzippers.us/190742-washington-redskins-logo/ Link: http://www.zoominfo.com/p/Walter-Wetzel/231414132 Please understand I am concerned at what you all are being educated on and the truth should be told. I am not attempting to change your mind because we are all allowed to our opinions. But understand Ray Halbritter is NOT on your side! He turned on his own family!