Should the wealthy pay for those who have no health insurance?

• It's only fair, people don't choose to get sick

But I'm not going to sugarcoat it. In some cases earlier deaths may mean a net savings to everybody because of costs avoided in old age. But it's not about saving money, it's about the right to life. But insurance is a clumsy way of accomplishing this. Instead tax dollars should be used directly by the government to pay for health care.

• We all pay for health care for poor people, we might as well make the system more efficient

At the most basic level, nearly all Americans agree that denying health care to people who can't pay for it is uncivilized and inhumane. I say this because there is no serious national debate about whether or not we should turn critically ill uninsured people away from emergency rooms. Emergency room care is very expensive, and when patients can't pay their bills the hospital passes the costs along to those who can pay. Preventive care for these same uninsured people would improve their health outcomes and save money at the same time.

• I think so.

I do think that the wealthy should pay for those without health insurance because they have lots of extra money. If they don't pay then we will all have to pay because when someone has no health insurance or money to pay the hospital, the rates for the rest of us go up quite a bit.

• I think everyone should.

I believe that everyone who pays into taxes should have a hand in helping the poor afford insurance. We are/were the last "civilized" country who didn't afford our poorest citizens health insurance. It was embarrassing and very sad. We are now on the path to becoming a bit more humane towards the poor and uninsured. Let's hope it stays that way.

• Yes, even though that's not exactly true.

Those of us who have more pay taxes that provide various services to ourselves and to the rest of the population. So it may wind up that those with more pay for the health care of those who can not afford it. However, that makes the society healthier as a whole and saves bills later.

• No, they should not

While the wealthy should share the wealth in some ways, they should not be held accountable for other people's misfortunes. I believe that everyone should have access to cheap and affordable health care but it should not cost the wealthy any extra. Lowering the cost of medical care could make it easily affordable for everyone without charging the wealthy any extra money.

• No should be forced to pay anything.

Just because people are wealthy is not moral justification for taking their earned wealth away from them. If the rich want to pay for the poor, then they are welcome to do so, but it is absolutely immoral to force anyone of any sort of status in society to do something against their will. Period.