Should the Western world be more concerned about China's human rights abuses?

• Say NO to political oppression in China & Asia

Although i'm singaporean, i disagree on forging strong economic ties with china and vietnam. When i read about blind advocate mr chen guangcheng fleeing his homeland and seeking refuge in the US, i was quite upset about his plight and wish i can do something to help him. As a christian with strong conviction on human rights, i feel very helpless at this situation and i believe there are many more out there who face the similar harsh treatment like him.

A few seconds ago

• Yes, We Should

China is a major player on the world stage. They need to be held accountable for their many human rights abuses. The Western world should do more to bring these offenses to light. As long as we do so much business with China but look the other way about their human rights record, we become hypocrites as well.

• YES

It absolutely should be concerned with these abuses, but the thing about it is that we have to guard our own selves if we're going to lecture them. As an American, I'm looking straight at my military and the horrible attitudes we have against the poor in my country.

I will also say that one area of concern is that we need to be concerned with China wanting to export its culture to other countries and starting invasions.

Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out why the government spent fifty years railing against Commies, only to have one of our biggest trading partners be a communist nation less than twenty years after the fall of the Soviet Union. I'm awfully concerned that my government would just roll over and take it if China decided to get testy.

• Yes They Should

Yes, the Western world should care less about their money and more about the severe abuses against human rights going on in China. Because these abuses often are a result of China's drive for more money, the Western world has good reason to be concerned. Protecting and standing up for those who are treated poorly by their government is a great virtue to have.

• Yes, we're part of a world community

In this day and age we are part of a world wide community. When there are human rights violations anywhere it is important to try and help these people. We do not live in a vacuum, and things that happen even a world away positively and negatively affect us here at home.

• No we shouldn't

The western world has no business telling other countries how to do things and is frankly hated for it. I will start off by saying China has human rights issues, I strongly disagree and it is a tragedy, and I wish it wasn’t the case, but it is. This is an internal issue of China and if you were to impose a minimum wage in China tomorrow you would be making those workers worse off than they already are. If you make China pay them $6 an hour one of two things would happen. You would keep buying things made in China at a 500% mark up or businesses would stop paying Chinese kids to make the shoes when they could pay an American to make them for a dollar more and you’d make the dollar up in shipping. Option “A” would never happen. I don’t plan on paying ridiculous amounts for cheap stuff made in China when I can buy good products, made in the U.S. for the same price. Option “B” is what would really happen. Companies would move their production back to America, and support the local economy, and the kids making your shoes went from having $20 a week to none. How does this help them out? There is nothing humane about starving to death is there?