Should the words 'In God We Trust' be removed from U.S. coins and currency?

• It may seem like it doesn't matter.

And in the scope of things, I suppose it doesn't. However, while on their own they don't really matter, these little things build up after a while. As well, since this on it's own really doesn't matter as people for keeping it on say, then why should it matter if it was removed. People were simply scared of the "godless commies", so they decided to run to God for help.

• Freedom From Religion

We (the tax payers) have been supporting this amendment that we are to remain free from religion, especially stop religion from influencing our political and public offices. "Under God We Trust" is religion and is in direct violation of this amendment to which is contradicting to the fact. We need to remove Under God in our currency and pledge of allegiance because we might as well have Under Odin We Trust or Under Yahweh We Trust or Under Horus We Trust etc.

• Wasn't there in the first place.

Besides being an unconstitutional endorsement of religion, phrase was only inserted onto our currency in the 1950s during the Red Scare, in a desperate attempt to prove Americans were different than those "godless communists". Our nation's original motto, "E Pluribus Unum" ("From Many, One") is far more in the spirit of the nation and the intent of its founders.

• I think the Founding Fathers do justice for this.

Let's use some of Benjamin Franklin's quotes:

"I cannot conceive otherwise than that He, the Infinite Father, expects or requires no worship or praise from us, but that He is even infinitely above it." --- Benjamin Franklin, from "Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion", Nov. 20, 1728

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practiced it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England blamed persecution in the Romish Church, but practiced it upon the Puritans. They found it wrong in Bishops, but fell into the practice themselves both there (England) and in New England."--- Benjamin Franklin

"I think vital religion has always suffered when orthodoxy is more regarded than virtue. The scriptures assure me that at the last day we shall not be examined on what we thought but what we did." --- Benjamin Franklin, letter to his father, 1738

Source:
    http://www.Barefootsworld.Net/founding.Html#franklin

How about a quote from the man who wrote the Constitution itself, Thomas Jefferson:

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.

Source:
    http://www.Brainyquote.Com/quotes/quotes/t/thomasjeff389008.Html#tBJ0c5E5C7jT6s83.99

What have we learned? The Founding Fathers did not want this nation's government to be upheld with religion. Thomas Jefferson was unbiased toward everyone. He did not persecute anyone based soley on their beliefs. This is the reason he made the 1st Amendment and why he would disagree with having "In God we Trust" placed anywhere on the Government. You can't exactly argue against Thomas Jefferson and win can you?

• Why do they need to be there?

On the currency of what is supposed to be the most secular state in the west (emphasis on supposed) it surprises me that a majority of people support the featuring of the phrase on coins and banknotes. I mean what happened to the first amendment? What happened to secularism? This does not represent religious freedom! And how the hell does it:
    "Pertain to our heritage as Americans"?
    Also
    "America was founded on Christian principles" is always something I've struggle to understand. Please enlighten me as to how America was?

• On our way to diversity and equality

With the acceptance of things such as gays rights to marriage or our ability to smoke cannabis legally, I believe that the U.S. Should put their big boy pants on and understand that not every American will believe in God. It is for the greater good ethically with what is going on with change occurring in many aspects of us as a civilization that we should take consideration of our diversity religiously and not just seclude us to God when talking of currency.

• I don't really care, but it seems wrong.

I think it should be removed because it sort of violates the right to freedom of religion. The US is a multicultural country and there are many people who don't believe in God so it seems unfair towards them to have these words written. The US is a country where people should be treated with respect no matter what they choose to believe in according to its fundamental principles. Everybody uses currency, but not everyone is religious.

• It basically says they are deluded

'In god we trust' means they trust superstitious nonsense rather than science and reason, which is shameful because America being one of the leaders in technology. It's time to give up bronze age myths and embrace reality of science. Isn't it better to embrace reality, as hard as sometimes it maybe, than to avoid it and live a lie?

• A purely religious symbol on federal money:

It wasn't there to start with and it is a definite homage to the Christian god. The people who say it isn't promoting a specific religion are full of it. If you want to argue that it's not promoting religion, make it lower case and add an (s) to the end of it to show you mean all religions.

• I actually just have a question.

Ok, so I have thought about this question a lot and me being Christian and proud of it I really hope it stays. Anyways, for those against it, I am assuming most of you are atheist, does it really effect you to have the saying on the coin? What I mean by that is every religion has a god(s) or something of that nature (unless I am wrong here, feel free to explain) but as an atheists you don't worship to anything. If you did say "In God we trust" you wouldn't offend anyone. Another thing if America does get rid of the saying the better get rid of the penny (and quite possibly the nickel too). Also, a lot of atheists celebrate religious holidays so it's not like they refuse to participate in religious things.

• Why? It is correct, and provides us with something to go by.

We shouldn't remove that. That on our coinage shows that the us is still doing something good, by promoting a loving being. It shouldn't be removed, because it shows that we trust god. It provides us with a moral reminder that he is there, and that we should always trust him.

• IN GOD I'll TRUST

People Honestly does it even matter, i Cant believe that this is even a discussion. This country was formed with FREEDOM OF RELIGION, Just deal with it. How can you be so severely OFFENDED by in GOD WE TRUST, we'll its not in money we trust, you can see where that's taking us, down a slow deadly slope. In truth we shouldn't be debating about this, we ought to be debating about getting rid of the useless over costly production of pennies, we'd save millions, of course we'd use the 1 cent, except it would be that when we the people pay up front with cash, it will be far more effective, in all Keep in God we trust just leave it the way how it is NOW.

• You can not kick out every ounce of Religion because you don't like it.

Everything deserves to be accepted within Government... Including Religion, People don't even know what the First Amendment said, better yet it's meaning. It said no law will establish a religion, not that religion should stay out... Big difference. You keep religion from having a presence in politics, you end up with the same issue Blacks faces by not having a political presence.

You can not kick out everything you don't believe in... "In God We Trust" doesn't establish a religion, it reminds us that religion deserves to be acknowledged too. You can not preach tolerance for only non-religious entities.

• This simply isn't an important matter

There are more important things to worry about than removing in god we trust on money. I'm not christian but I'm not offended by it, i mean do you honestly think someone is going to go through all the old 1 dollar bills and scratch out in god we trust from them? And how would doing that make our nation a better place?

• No no no

Its there for a reason and we took this country with our blood its our religion its our dollar its our country. I don't give a damn what these snobby political correct liberals think "OH but it offends people of other religions" It doesn't say anything offensive its just saying we trust our god

• It's Grandfathered In

Congress has ruled that it will remain because of the fact it pertains to our heritage as Americans. "In God We Trust" goes back to a day when there was no issue with these words. This country was founded on religious freedom, and at the time it was a pretty big deal to be able to put such a thing on our coins. It doesn't so much represent our belief in a God, but rather our ability to believe in him. It also helps signify that we are not all powerful, and that we yield to a higher power.

• I believe it should not

The reason I believe it should not be removed because it's been there for so long. If we remove it then we are taking out some part of history that we shouldn't do. "In God We Trust" came from the star Spangled Banner! So I say don't remove "In God We Trust."

• No it doesnt

The first amendment prohibits enforcing a religion, not practicing one, atheists and their complaints,
    "A inferior man is in a constant state of offence, a superior man is in a constant state of complicity"
    They are offended because they want to be offended, plus the founding fathers were not atheists they were ignostics.

• It needs to stay

First off, 87 percent of people believe in a religion, the majority of that percent is christian. Also it never refers to one god or one religion. If you are going to force me out of my freedom of religion to have in god we trust, then your violating my rights.