Should there be a limit to how many children you can have?

Asked by: CheyenneWilliams
  • Population should be controlled

Yes there should be a limit to how many children u can have because world population is growing day by day at very fast rate. Its going to become a very big problem for us because it effects on every thing. And women is not a machine who is giving birth to 6 to 7 kids.

• Im basically sitting on the fence on this one...

As a himanist, i do believe in humans having choices and responsibility, but i think that one of the biggest problems the world will soon face is overpopulation. Without a plan for colonizing space for te moment, overpopulation is quickly becoming a very important issue. And i think for the greater good and betterment of humanity, i think we need to keep our growing population in check. Not as in you can only have 1 baby but as in possibly 3, i mean who really wants more than 3, in one marriage anyway, because more means less parental care for each child and ultimately a rapidly increasing population. It sounds harsh, but until humanity has the abilit to create artificial habitats and colonize space, whic may sound really science fiction, the world is already extremely under pressure and could even mean the end of our species

• There should be a law to only having one kid per couple.

If we keep having so many kids, the earth will not be able to produce enough food or water for the increasing population . The animals will die too for not haveing any food or water because of the increasing crazy amount of babies being born everday. Babies will not know what animals are or see them in the near future because they will be gone from building and over population and no food for the animals in the near furure. We have to fix it before it becomes to late to happen.

• Something must change!

Overpopulation is going to be a problem. We don't have to worry right now but we can at least help our future family. There are to many teens having babies, and these teens can't support their children. Before you are 18 and not even an adult in the eyes of the law you can have a child? I think this is just so wrong. Kids, are having kids; and this is not right. They are not ready for it and it is hurting our economy and our worlds future.

• Absolutely yes! Why not?

Absolutely! Just a quick glance at number of human deaths vs births happening in the world per day. http://www.ecology.com/birth-death-rates/ The stats are astonishing. As the world comes closer, e.g. a child birth India today is an candidate to affect life in USA 20 years later, or to any other place elsewhere on the planet. Its debatable if we should come up with a magic number that how many we can accommodate at any given time on earth, and then divide the allowable child births per capita, in resemblance with number of immigrants allowed green card every year in United States per country of citizenship. But maybe we should. Maybe the time and the resources we have available call out for that action. Quality over quantity? Survival as a human race vs reproduction for the heck of it.

• Yes Absolutely, why not!

Absolutely! Just a quick glance at number of human deaths vs births happening in the world per day. The stats are astonishing. As the world comes closer, e.g. a child birth India today is an candidate to affect life in USA 20 years later, or to any other place elsewhere on the planet. Its debatable if we should come up with a magic number that how many we can accommodate at any given time on earth, and then divide the allowable child births per capita, in resemblance with number of immigrants allowed green card every year in United States per country of citizenship. But maybe we should. Maybe the time and the resources we have available call out for that action. Quality over quantity? Survival as a human race vs reproduction for the heck of it.

• We need population control!

We are depleting our natural resources and I'm scared for the world my child and future grandchildren will see. Seriously why do people need more then 2 or 3 kids? What makes you want 5 or 6? It seems crazy but I guess some think my 4 dogs are crazy too. Maybe with more couples choosing child free lives we will be able to cut the population. I probably will not have more children. I don't agree its all the fault of teen moms, I was a teen mom but I still care for the earth!

• At least let the parent have a steady job...

If you WANT to have a child, you had better be able to AFFORD that child. I chose not to have children for a multitude of reasons. But if I DID want to have one, I can raise it from babe to adult WITH OUT government or family financial assistance.

I don't collect welfare or Food Stamps, I've worked 80 hour weeks, and I'm LEGAL in this country.

Its not just a matter of putting a cap on how many children one can have, its a matter of, is it fair?

Yes, there are homeless children. Yes, there are foster children. Yes, there are abandoned children. Their parents made bad choices. Those children have to live with the consequences.

I'd rather give money to a system that supports ONLY the child and not their crack addicted parent(s).

Not just a limit to how many children one can have, but ALSO to the age limit you must be to have one. Teens are TOO young to have a child of their own without some kind of life history under their belt. And horny under the bleachers is NOT it.

• Yes there should be.

Absolutely! With our already 7 plus billion population, we have surpassed the earth's limit of sustainability. With the amount of consumption that we procure, we already need an amount equal to 2.5 earths (resources) to barely get by. There is no logical reason for people to sit there and have 6 or more children. It doesn't benefit anything but downfall.

• There should be because,

There are limited resources and people shouldn't have so many kids to take up them resources. I know they are here to use but i think we should stretch them out as long as possible because this is what we have and don't take advantage of them because some countries don't have that many resources!

• Overpopulation is bad, yes

But is the only solution to have a law prohibiting the amount of children you can have? Perhaps we should have commercials enlightening people about this subject. Maybe we could even teach it at the schools. I myself plan on having two children, which will lead to a neutral impact. You also have to realize some people don't marry, meaning that they will not ever have any offspring at all.

• Education is the answer.

No, I don’t think there should be a limit on how many kids a family can produce. How would the state enforce this limit? Suppose a mother produces triplets and exceeds the limit, should the state take the child away? Should the state imprison the mother, thus forcing the victimised children into the care of an alternative guardian? Should the state impose fines on the mother, even if they're financially stricken? We must educate people on the dangers of overpopulation, not penalise them for it.

• It doesn't make sense from a population standpoint.

People love to point out that we are overpopulated without doing some research on the topic. Almost all of the population growth that is happening is in developing countries.

If you live in Germany, Japan, Russia, or many other developed countries you are actually seeing a population that is decreasing because people are not having enough kids to replace themselves.

Most population experts believe that once more countries become developed we will have a stable population without the need of any regulations. In fact we may actually see the opposite. Many developed countries are trying to offer benefits for couples to have kids, not because of pitty or welfare, but because they realize that they cannot survive without kids. People just aren't having enough kids to replace themselves in many countries and if you limit it, this will only increase the problem.

• If YOU can support them, raise as MANY Children as you like

You get to choose how many Children you have, if you can afford to support a DOZEN, you should not be prohibited as long as you have the means to properly feed cloth house and CARE for these children... If EVERY Couple had 2 Children, the Population would fall and production of goods and services would eventually FAIL!

• This is wrong

The world is struggling because of choices people currently living on it are making. It's is the corruption of governments, lack of love, and unwillingness to help bring peace and prosperity to the planet that could end the world as we know it. If there wasn't so much greed, selfishness, and segregation in this world, there would be plenty of resources for all of us.

• This is wrong

• No, of course not

To those who believe that putting a limit in the number of children per family because the dwindling of natural resources is threatening them the answer is : its our fault that we reach our planet at this point so don't put blame on unborn kids. With the problem of birth deficit spiraling i think that we are in need of young individuals instead of preventing their birth.

• My thought is..

There should not be a law telling you or forcing you how many kids you may have. Even though limiting how many kids you can have might help the population from reaching its carrying capacity but this is not really a problem now. Maybe in the future it could be used but now? I think it is a choice between you an your spouse. It is your choice. There shouldn't be children in hiding ether.

• The land of the free

What's so free about America if you want to put a limit on something we cant control or something that's secrete to a family . I just think that this is America not china or the giver so their for "The land of the free needs to live up to its name because so far it has not been.

• Everyone has a right to their freedom

Everyone in america has freedom. Everyone should be allowed to have as many children as they want without getting fined or in trouble for it. Taking someones freedom and rights away is wrong and cruel. Maybe the mother wants 3 kids? Its not the governments decision. And it shouldn't ever be

munnu says2013-10-27T15:17:42.870
Yea right.. Resources r limited. Parents shud use contraceptives and focus on their present children. They shud giv them quality education to produce a generation capable of contributing for the welfare of the world. Whereas on the contrary if thr r more children nd the same income the attention and quality of education gets divided for the children and thus smart youth cant be provided to this world.
John_Marshall says2013-10-29T09:59:45.570
I believe the fundamental argument against the motion is that there is no penalty you can impose on a parent that would not unfairly affect the child. Can somebody disprove this for me?
TheConundrum says2013-10-29T10:55:50.217
As well as, the fact that it's ridiculously unethical. Even if the government managed to miraculously devise a system that can regulate this policy. How just is it? Does it breach our fundamental human rights? Does it contradict the ideology of democracy and freedom?
John_Marshall says2013-10-29T13:17:46.520
I think ethics are relative. I’ve heard it put that a contest of ethics can be mutually detrimental; which means that one’s right to irrationally reproduce can infringe upon another one’s right to resources.