• A single father with a PhD and five kids cannot support cannot live on $7.25/hr.

Sure, white men have privileges. However, even a heterosexual white single dad with his PhD in engineering can't support his five kids unless he has a good paying job. Therefore, to ensure everyone in his situation can provide for their children everyone needs to be paid a minimum amount of money that allows them to support their children.

Now, the cost of living is higher in New York than in Fargo. Therefore, the federal minimum wage should allow this single dad in New York to support his kids so that no adult is left behind.

• The numbers don't add up

Let's say there is no minimum wage and we are able to pay people the $4-5/hour as suggested in the opposing column. Someone works 8 hours a day 5 days a week they will make $640-800/month (before taxes). The Average one bedroom apartment rental in my city is $750/month. That does not include food or utilities.
    Now let's pretend I have one child who needs daycare so I can work. Lowest priced daycare I could find would be $620/month.
    When I do the math I'm really confused about how 'theoretically' having no minimum wage will work?

• You could be getting $0.

Without minimum wage requirements, employers could take advantage of desperate people in urgent need of a job, and pay them a next to nothing salary. They are allowed to do this because the person has no where else to turn to, and the employer wants to make as much profit as possible

• Yes there should be

Minimum wage would assist in circulating the money around. It will stop employers from taking advantage of their employees. If there was no minimum wage there would be more poverty because more people would get under paid. Having no minimum wage is absolutely ridiculous! We have minimum wage now and we are doing fine! If we did not have a minimum wage there would be much more poverty than there is now.

• YES there has to be a minimum wage

If people get paid more, they have more money to spend, helping other businesses who in turn can pay their workers more or higher new employees. This would either circulate the money around, or lower the unemployment rate, both are good. If there was no minimum, it would create a bigger wealth gap, the rich keeping the money, and the poor not getting paid.

• Yes, a minimum wage helps protect workers from low wages.

Yes, there should be a minimum wage, but it should be increased. The cost of living is steadily increasing, and minimum wages don't support a family. It takes multiple incomes, at those low wages, to take care of basic needs. The cost of everything goes up, yet it takes years for there to be an increase for fair wages. Although low, it does protect employees from getting paid even less.

• Must be a wage

If there isn't a minimum wage, what do you expect people to live off of? If there isn't one people wont work as hard for the low pay that they make. Out of 100 people, only 10 are employers. The majority are middle class and poor, and the government needs to support these people because if not, America would be even worse than it already is.

• If there is minimum wage, there will be less government assistance.

More tax revenue. Lower government wage subsidies, which equates to more self worth and self reliance. More hope, less stress, more consumers which will eventually lead to more jobs. Could also lead to a healthier population since more people will have money to purchase healthier foods. And besides, I like Bacon!

• To Be Fair

Minimum wage is a way to make sure that the pay rates are just at entry level jobs. This way there cannot be discrimination and everyone has the ability to take care of themselves independently. It is the best way to ensure equality in the work place for young or unqualified workers.

• Yes, There Should Be a Minimum Wage

There should be a minimum wage in order to force employers to provide a living wage for under educated-adults and the working poor. A minimum wage would at least ensure that people who lack a college education or vocational training will have the ability to take care of themselves and their families as well as contribute to the economy.

• Hurts more than helps

Because of minimum wage there is a 46% unemployment rate among African American young adults looking for jobs in the inter city. If minimum wage is removed it would be worth it to hire unskilled workers so they could gain experience working and use that experience to gain a better job.

• No minimun wage.

There should not be minimum wage because it interferes with the free market doing it's thing. If there was no minimum wage then manufacturing jobs from East Asians countries (China) would come back to the US, because large corporations could have their product in the US and save in shipping, import/export tax, and trade tax costs. People would make less money, but in turn the price of products would also go down as people have to buy the products to keep the company in business. If there was no minimum wage there would be competition which is the driving force behind the US economy.

• Minimum Wage Phases Out Lower-Skilled Worker and Young People

Think of labor as a good. Businesses buy labor in order to run effectively, just as they buy machines, desks, chairs, etc. A minimum wage says to businesses: "you can only buy labor that is worth this much or more." As a result, workers that are worth less than the minimum wage (let's say $8/hr) are forced to be unemployed. Without a minimum wage, a worker who may be worth, say, $4/hr would have the opportunity to work for an employer who is willing to pay that much for a certain job. Maybe instead of making someone who makes $10/hr file papers or make copies, the business owner can hire the person who is worth $4/hr, allowing the $10/hr person to accomplish other, more significant tasks. The person making $4/hr obviously doesn't have a great quality of life, but at least has a job and can learn skills and make themselves more valuable in the labor market. Maybe after a few months this person learns how to accomplish a higher task and gets a raise, then learns more tasks and so on.

• Minimum Wages Harm Low Income Workers

The majority of people arguing that there should be a minimum wage, or even for increasing it, don't actually realize the implications of doing so. If the minimum wage is raised from $5.00 to $10.00, the people making $5.00 don't get paid more, they lose their job, because they are only worth $5.00 per hour. Even in a perfect world, if no jobs were lost after increasing the minimum wage, the only thing accomplished is a shift in the economy. Again if the minimum wage is increased to $10.00, and everyone makes more money, then the purchasing power of that $10.00 drops to balance everything out, and nothing is gained. No one benefits from a minimum wage.

• No, minimum wage permits employers to benefit off the poverty of their employees

I realize there are good reasons for having a minimum wage, but it has become acceptable for companies to just hire people at minimum wage when they could afford to pay more if they would accept a lower profit margin. Minimum wage pretty much keeps workers at a barely subsistence level of income and somehow that right to be kept at that level is treated as a good thing for the workers. It's not; it's really a good thing for the employers.

• Prices would Skyrocket

The government shouldn't be able to tell businesses, mostly small businesses, how much they have to pay their employees. A common liberal argument would be, "Well I don't want people working in a sweatshop-like environment" and very few people would, if anyone at all. Because, if I wanted to work for a local small candy shop, I would look at how much I would be getting payed per hour and obviously it would be small at first because I'm a new employee and most likely inexperienced. So if I want to make more, I'd stay with the business and compete for the pay raise and therefore get a lot more experience in that process. If there was a minimum wage that is say 11.50 per hour, the prices of the candy would be so high since the main goal of a business is to make a profit. I would also be screwed because if I had little to-no experience but the guy I'm competing against has a little experience is more likely to get the job.

• Prices would Skyrocket and Skill would Fall

• Prices Would Skyrocket for Small Businesses and Skill Would go Down

• Prices Would Skyrocket

• Prices Would Skyrocket

2weerrttg says2016-10-10T18:53:32.760
Wyatt iz so koolz u guys will worship ur god and savior, meh
2weerrttg says2016-10-10T18:53:49.593