Should there be a minimum weight limit for models?

• No way dude

I don't think their should be a weight limit only because some models are thicker and they shouldn't be judged because they are not skinny. Now its a different thing if you're really skinny and you look sickly and you can see your bones. I think you should look healthy if you are going to be a model...

• This leads to eating disorders and harms their fans.

When models are told to lose weight they sometimes obtain eating disorders such as bulimia or anorexia nervosa. When fans see how skinny their role model is they want to become just like them and develop an eating disorder as well. This isn't good for models, fans or businesses and it needs to be stopped.

• Yes there should

I am currently in partial hospitalization treatment for my eating disorder, I'm only 15. There are many factors that have contributed to it but I can honestly say that the glorification of skinny models on a runway have influenced my behaviors hugely. Yes, all women should believe they're beautiful because it's true. But when you're constantly enforcing the idea that "thinner is better" through the use of modeling, it doesn't matter if you're not flat out saying it.

• Yes Definitely, Absolutely.

There are so many models who strive to become the perfect person. By having a weight limit it will allow for them to meet a perfect goal or a limit where they can be safe for both the model and the model industry. It should be something required from every model agency. I remember watching Americas next top model and there was Tyra Banks. She was not as skinny as most models and remained beautiful and could show off any clothes thrown her way.

• No overboard, but yes.

I personally do not find "twigs" to be very attractive and I do feel we are at a different time now where a woman with "curves" has become much more appealing to the male eye. I definitely feel the modeling agency should require a minimum weight limit for clients. There is simply nothing appealing about a woman who looks like a skeleton.

• YES, Of course!

Even though some people are naturally thin, however many others starve themselves in order to be like them, and at times this drives them to serious fatal illnesses such as Anorexia Nervosa.. I have personally seen this sort-of 'self abuse'. Beauty is really just being who you are naturally and eat HEALTHY not STARVATION, because if a person tries to change who he really is, then he starts to lose his charm...

• Yes. Definitely. They should!

I know many girls (and some boys) that hate their bodies because they think they are "too fat". They starve, purge, and have been diagnosed with terrible disorders like anorexia and bulimia. Maybe, just maybe, if the models they see everyday in magazines and on billboards look an average American weight they wouldn't feel so self conscious about their perfectly "imperfect" bodies. Even models themselves starve and destroy their bodies because they have to live up to the standards society has set. Truthfully have you have seen a thicker model? Somewhere many countries got the notion that beautiful, is spines that edge out of skin, stomach's that curve in, shoulder blades like wings. They try to convince you that beauty is a zero. And if you're too "big" or too "fat" you could never be two with someone. But little girls (and boys) need to be taught that they don't need to be brainwashed into societies perception of perfection. They need to think, "That reflection I see is beautiful to me. Loving me is not a miracle and changing me is not a possibility. I am not your bad example. Beauty is not something to be seen. But something to be felt. So please, and no thank you- I will shape myself." Now that is beauty to me.

• YES there should

Some people look at models with their unrealistic bodies and expect all women to look like that. That thinking is completely unrealistic and unfair. Because of these standards, more and more women and girls (whose age gets younger and younger by the day) hate their bodies so much that they destroy it. Whether it be by not eating, purging, or any other way. Not to mention most of the models' bodies are retouched anyways. If the women who are trying to portray the perfect body don't have it, then why should the rest of us feel bad for not having it?

• Yes there should.

The modeling business is so competitive and it causes women and even men to go to drastic measures. It is seen as beautiful and fashionable to be thin/skinny. Young girls and boys see this and they grow up believing the thinner you are the more beautiful. Girls are looking up to these women and wanting to be like them so they will do whatever it takes to be like them.

• Yes there should.

The modeling industry should impose a minimum weight limit for models based on their height to endorse healthy lifestyles, prevent destructive behaviors and give young girls better role models to look up to. An average model's BMI (body mass index) is 16.13, below 18 is considered unhealthy, 16 is considered starvation. Why should we aspire to be skinny, when we can be healthy and fit. If there is a minimum weight limit, models can be thin and healthy if they eat right and exercise. Those are the kind of people that should be the ideal of beauty.

• No They Shouldn't

Girls are pretty the way they are, they shouldn't have to be told what size they need to be to do this or do that, girls are pretty just the way they are. That's just righteously insane, girls are perfect the way they are , and that's that. Gorgeous Girls

• Look at society.

So many girls are so insecure about their bodies. Not only girls but some boys too! If there is going to be a weight limit. They wont see how truly wonderful they are. They will strive to be that perfect person. When in reality, we are perfect they way we are.

• No there should not be a weight limit!

What if you are naturally very skinny, but healthy and pretty? Does that mean that you can not be a model just because you are naturally very skinny? A lot of people are saying that models make some people think bad about their figure, we'll I don't think so because seeing a model should influence you to look like them and not make you feel bad about yourself! I am 13 and I am 75 lbs, which is underweight for my age, I am healthy though. I agree that if you are underweight and not healthy then you should not be allowed to model. Other then that, I think it is fine.

• What's The Point?

I believe there shouldn't be a limit simply because of the fact that a limit would add to today's society's belief that to be beautiful you have to be skinny. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and no one should be told that they have to look or be a certain way to be beautiful. Everyone is beautiful in there own way. Beyonce recently made a song called Pretty Hurts and it's about how society views women today and how they should be in order to seem "beautiful" but the song explains how you don't have to be a certain way to be beautiful. The song is inspiring to all ,including myself, who have insecurity issues. You don't need society to tell you what size or height to be to know that you're beautiful.

• It is what it is.

Most models aren't skin and bones, they're not fat, but they're not skin and bones either. All models differ and it's not up to the industries to solve the world's problems. Besides what would putting a limit do? Nothing. The industries would all stay the same and find ways around.

• No. Its uncalled for.

In today's society, if your not a size 0 and 100 pounds, your not pretty. That's what all these models are portraying. I am a size 9 and 160 pounds, and I feel like I am in really good shape. You don't have to be a stick to be beautiful. Other countries advertising's for Victoria's Secret and other companies use natural looking, healthy models with NO photo shopping.

• No there should not be

As a girl who's parents who are both naturally skinny do to very fast metabolism I am also very skinny and growing up I was made fun of because I was so skinny. It was nice seeing models who looked like me.I if I had grown up with out those models my life would be very different than it is now

• Big is beautiful

All women are beautiful. Everyone is built differently and we should feel as beautiful as we are. Society is making it out to seem that in order to be beautiful, you have to weigh a certain amount. Both having curves and being skinny is beautiful. We should not have to change because society tells us we have to. Have your own standards!

• No there should not be

There should not be a weight limit for models. Who cares what size and shape they are? Beauty is beauty, and it comes in all shapes, sizes and colors. Why put a limitation on beauty? No, one puts a limitation on other things so why limit this? I think that it is wrong, a disgrace and disrespectful.

• Setting a legal weight minimum for models would be wildly ineffective and a waste of time.

The pressure to stay too slim in the modeling industry is a sad and unfortunate aspect that has led to many health problems, eating disorders, and death. However, making a rule against it wouldn't change anything. For example, if an in-demand model is booked for a shoot or show and drops a couple of pounds under the "weight minimum", do you really think the agency would report that honestly and cancel the job? No, they'd cut corners somehow to prevent losing money. Now, if a specific agency wants to implement a weight minimum for their models, kudos to them! But, making this a rule across the board would be a waste of time.