Should there be a national standardized test for teachers?

• Yes, they need to be qualified.

Yes, there should be a national standardized test for teachers, because it is very important that teachers be qualified. There are way too many teachers who do not know what they are doing. Tests would help show which teachers should find a different career. Standardized tests would be the first step to hold teachers accountable. There is no way their unions would allow it.

• Hell yes, there should be a national standardized test for teachers.

Hell yes, there should be a national standardized test for
    teachers. It’s only right. Students have to take so many standardized
    tests that it would be unfair to let teachers work without having to take some
    too. I think that teachers should have
    to take a standardized test every year.

• It would be easier

As a teacher, it would be easier if there as a standardized test for teacher. I can teach math in Texas, but if I moved and wanted to teach in some other state, I would have to redo my credentials all over again. Math doesn't change from state to state. It should be the same.

• There should be a national standardized test for teachers.

There should be a national standardized test for teachers. We should make sure that our teachers are as well educated as the students that they are teaching. I think that they should be required to take mandated standardized tests to ensure that they are keeping up with the changing world around them.

• There already is one...

There are teaching certification exams per subject area. If you can't pass it - you can't teach...

What I am confused about it why nobody on this website actually knows this. You should do research before you answer for a debate-related question.

If you want to teach history - you MUST pass the history subject test. The same goes for all subjects. And there is not an unlimited number of times to take it, either. It's more expensive each time you take it and you are limited in the number that you can take it.

• Yes

Yes I do think that there should be standardized tests for teachers, just like there are for many other professions, such as medical doctors, nurses, lawyers and accountants. If there were then schools could ensure, at least initially, that the teachers are qualified and have met basic requirements to teach the students.

• Yes, There Should

There is nothing wrong with holding individuals to a standardized format and requiring them to meet a minimum standard. With education in this country being valued as highly as it is, there is a significant society interest in making teachers the best that they can be. Weeding out the poor ones would do favors for future generations.

• Minimum standard

Keeping the quality level of teachers at an acceptable level will take more than this, but it's a good thing to implement. We need some procedures in place to assure our teachers know the basics before putting the future of our country into their hands to educate. This would be beneficial.

• There should not be a national standardized test for teachers.

There should not be a national standardized test for teachers because teachers teach different subjects. It would not make sense to subject math, English, and physical education teachers to the same test. Also, many subjects are subjective and cannot be easily tested. There would be no easy way to test artistic subjects.