Should there be a neutral option for opinions, rather than just yes and no?

Asked by: MrV666
  • Not sure what you learn from taking a side except to fight

Every argument is the same. Neither side wins when both sides are passionate. This is an argument. If heated enough, this is a fight or a war. I'm not sure what we feel we've learned after it all. What I do think is that taking a side is easier. Everyone hates the guy in the middle. Your a target in the middle. If you've ever stood there, you know that already. I side with the neutral unless it's clear that one side is malicious. If not, I'm not sure it matters. I'm also not sure that either side will ever really be right.

Posted by: 2827
  • Yes, their should be a neutral option for opinions.

Not all arguments interest everyone. It should be acceptable to not have an opinion or to be neutral on a topic. For instance if you don't want any kids and never get anyone pregnant. It should be okay if you don't care about abortion discussion one way or the other.

• The most interesting questions have room for ambiguity.

I am not advocating for a plethora of choices. The polls have that covered, but I am advocating a third option. 'Maybe', is an admission of being undecided, or not having an opinion, which is counter to the whole opinion concept. As a result, I favor two alternates.

I think MasturDbtor is on the right track with 'Mixed'. I also think that 'Sometimes' is a useful third option for many topics. Both of these can encourage more complex discussion that is not bogged down by dogmatic oversimplification. Also, they would give a column for people to read that would not invite knee-jerk agreement or disagreement prior to cessation of thought. I get tired of reading reactionary replies that only address the first sentence of an opinion, and only consider it in the context of the column (yes or no) of the post, but not qualifications and explanations, or the nuance of the ideas.

• "Mixed" Is a better option

Just because it's not strictly yes or no doesn't mean your opinion is neutral. You may have very particular ways that you want it to be between yes and no and not just "meh...I don't care" so there should be a third option but it should say "Mixed" not "neutral".

• It is ironic....

That I say yes to a question supporting neutrality, but I believe that on some opinions, I have a more neutral opinion rather than clear yes or no. Considering this is a professional debating site, I've wondered why they excluded this option. Why not be able to debate your argument that neither side is clearly right or wrong?

• You can't look at everything objectively.

I'm sorry, but neutral people are the worst. Last year in AP history we had many debates discussing political affairs as well as big issues in society. As someone who is normally very passionate during debates and discussions, it always annoyed me to no end when the girl next to me would speak up and suggest arguments for both sides. To clarify, she never played Devil's Advocate or defended anything she believed in; she was simply apathetic towards everything. In a class of eight people, things usually got surprisingly loud since there was regularly 3 people on each side and 2 students on the border. I feel that by taking a side, you are forcing yourself to think and to learn. Likewise, if you don't have an opinion and you can't for the life of you get interested and take a stance, you're better off not saying anything about the argument. You'll save yourself the trouble by replying to your inquirer that you're not very well educated on the topic and you don't feel differently one way or the other rather than trying to pull something out of the air and make sense of both sides to keep peace.

• No way Jose.

If there was a neutral option then everyone who was somewhat on the fence might pick it and just stay wishy washy about the topics. With yes and no buttons users have to decide one side and argue it. It is really beneficial. However there are always pros and cons to both sides of arguments no one learns anything by standing in the middle.

• What's the point?

I honestly have no idea why they should add one. There already is that option, it's called not voting. If you honestly want people to know your neutral feelings towards a topic, just leave a comment, Adding it seems like a complete waste of time to me, but it's your opinion.

• There is a supporting argument for a reason...

The point of the supporting argument is not only to justify your position but also to set it out and to add context to a viewpoint. This area is for me to say that I am against or for the movement and to give a balanced argument. Therefore there should not be a neutral area where the indecisive arguments go. It should be how it is now; with a yes or no answer and a justification.

• When you work your brain you'll always choose a side

When a person start thinking about a subject or a conflict he reviews information about the conflict or he may even check different opinions about it and whether it gets personal or not there will always be some kind of reason or reasons that will make us choose a side.

• There already is?

Simple this really, just don’t take a stance. Then you don’t have an opinion and are neutral. So there you go don't vote yes or don't vote no, just don’t vote.Its like the same as the Big Issues, you have the no opinion stance. Here you just don’t have the ability to put down why you have no opinion.

• Isn't that what polls are for?

There is a reason why DDO has a poll section. It is for open ended opinions. If you have an open ended opinion make it a poll.

There are very few opinions that even need a neutral opinion option, and most of them can be made into polls. Polls also lack the need for a 50 word argument.