• Of course they should.

If they don't then more people will be obese. We want to stop obesity, not encourage it. If we don't put taxes on junk food it shows that we aren't doing any thing about obesity in America. America has the largest growing obesity problems , which isn't good. If we tax junk food, people might stop buying it.

• Yes there should

I think that by putting a tax on junk food should be an effective way in combating obesity and may even help in the bettering the dental health of our children and at the same time accumulating enough money to buy some new missiles for the war on terror too.

• Our Rights but Their Responsibility

It may seem at first glance that by putting a tax on junk food that the government has no right to do this. Take a look around and what do you see? Obesity is an epidemic in America! The government's job is to lead us in a way that is BEST for our nation. Is allowing people to continue going down a path that will eventually lead to more problems than obesity okay? Our government allows junk food to be cheap and easy for all citizens to obtain. Putting a tax on junk food would still hold citizens responsible for what they put in their bodies but would aid them in making healthier and wiser choices.

• Yes, there should be

Yes, I would have to agree that there should be a tax on junk food. Junk food is terrible for the body, just as cigarettes are terrible for the lungs. Cigarettes have been heavily taxed, and junk food should really be the same. Junk food doesn't provide any rich nutrition to the body that it desperately needs.

• Fatty foods are hazardous to health

Everybody knows that junk food and fatty snacks are not healthy. They are harmful to human body. I think that government should place tax on the junk food and fatty snacks because they have negative effects to our health.
    Firstly, they are hazardous for our health. Eating unhealthy foods increases the obesity, early death, depression. So, taxes would discourage people from consuming unhealthy food. It may not stop people eating fatty foods completely. But reducing consumation of not healthy food would have a benefit in improving health and personal well being.
    Secondly, healthy food should be made more affordable while increasing unhealthy foods prices. By them being more expensive, healthy food will be cheaper in comparison, which would result in more people choosing more healthy food options.

• Fatty foods are hazardous to health

• Its a waste of time

We should not tax junk food for many reasons, here’s few. Most people think that if you are able to increase the price of something you would stop people from having it some even think that they could stop addicts, but you probably can’t is someone is addicted you can’t stop them.
    Also, there is sugar in fruit, you could say nutritional sugar but no matter how you say it it will still be sugar. Sugar is the main factor to diabetes and obesity. People could eat loads of fruit and develop diabetes, yet you still can’t tax fruit as fruit is good for you. A little junk food will not do that much harm to people’s health so there is no need to have to waste time trying to stop people from developing diabetes when they could be saving more threatening diseases like cancer or asthma.
    When cigarettes were taxed it didn’t stop people from buying them, nor did it stop them from getting addicted. People who are addicted to sweets, chocolate or general sugar will not let tax get in the way of their lifestyle, what they need is a balanced diet which also includes high sugar level food or drink. If everyone needs this then people will have less money to spend on other luxuries like a holiday.
    Holidays are where most of the food is pure junk. Some people think that this is a bad thing; others think that this is a way to help people relax. In my opinion, I don’t think that it is bad that holidays have junk food as a main sort of food as they also selected holiday resorts have activities throughout the day, so I don’t think that it is all that bad that holiday resorts have junk food. If junk food was to be taxed then holidays would be even more expensive.
    Furthermore, if the government were to tax junk food then why shouldn’t they just stop there? They could tax air as diseases travel through the air and there are toxic fumes in the air. They could also tax video games as that is encouraging and supporting sitting down and not being active this would then also cover reading, board games and could even go to the extent that eating should be taxed as you would be putting on weight rather than losing it.

• Life and death

Some people buy ultra processed foods but this can cause more people obesity, heart problems and cancer. You shouldn't be willing to risk your life to eat junk food.
    No one likes being obese so don't let people risk becoming obese. If we tax it now we can save lives. WE SHOULD TAX IT FOR THE GREATER GOOD OF EVERYONE

• More tax$=more money to health care

We all know that junk food causes diabetes, obesity, heart disease, etc. The treatment of these diseases costs millions of dollars every year. Why don't we put the money from this "junk food tax" into health care to reduce the cost of treating these heath problems! Or use the tax $ to subsidize healthier foods, and make them more acsessible.

• We think that the proceeds from the junk food tax should reduce the costs of healthier foods and other popular items.

Although the goal of a fat tax is to curb the sale of unhealthy products without restricting a person’s rights to choose that item, it does not stop the high price of fresh produce and other healthier eating options. For this reason, using the revenues from a fat tax to subsidize healthier foods can make it easier for everyone to access what they need for a healthier lifestyle.

• "Fat Taxes" Don't Work

I'm doing a paper is 7th grade and I believe a junk food tax is very rude and doesn't help fight obesity. At first the government was created with a group of people to come together, make a decision, then continue on with their lives. It was never meant to become a full-time job. The government 'think' they know whats best for us when they can't even stop terrorists, wars, or crime. No, they want to focus on obesity which I think is absurd. Yes, it can cause health problems but that happens to everyone when you get older. The government have taxed a lot of things and they are rotten to the core with greed for money. They need to get off their high-horses and stop being selfish, self-centered, individuals that think they know the best for everyone in the world even though they can't solve any major problems.

• Needless Government Regulation

The government has no business telling people what they can and cannot ingest into their own body. This in no way serves a legitimate societal interest and will likely waste thousands of taxpayer dollars trying to arrest people for evading the "fat tax." LOL! In all seriousness however, give me back my Big Gulp, Bloomberg!

• Why stop at junk food?

If the government is going to tax on something as ridiculous as junk food, why not tax, well, everything that is bad for you, tax for usage of air because disease travels through it and if we tax it less people might use it. Lets also tax video games because they support sitting down and not being active. Lets also tax card games, because they support sitting down and not being active, we could tax reading too! Because you might read to much and forget to stand up and eat and drink and could die. How can people believe that the government know more about what is best for me. If I want o drink a large soda, which I do daily because there is nothing better than an ice cold two liter of Dew, I will have one. If I want to eat one handful of chips I will, if I want to eat a bag of chips, I will, if I want to eat ten bags of chips, I will. It is totally a persons decision on what the consume, and junk food is only really bad in high amounts. Same with many other healthy foods. If you eat an excessive amount of say bananas it will harm you insides for sure! But no one would do that because bananas are gross;) so the answer is no to junk food.

• No, who's going to be in charge of deciding what's junk food?

No one can agree what is classified as true junk food. Why would we pay our congressmen and trust them to decide what gets taxed when even science researchers can't agree? Even the government's food pyramid is a big joke with sugar and processed food companies influencing it. Even fruits can have too much sugar for some people and whole grains can cause food allergies. Should people be vegetarian, vegan, or paleo? Do we have to align our opinions on the majority or should we have the right to decide for ourselves what to eat?

• Why pay for for junk?

I disagree with the idea of taxing junk food. The reason i said this was because yes junk food might cause a little obesity but its not like someone is forcing Americans to eat it. Just think about it, if you put more tax on the junk food then there might be more crime in poor neighbor hoods. There is already crime because some people cant afford some of the food now . If you tax the food then some people will stop buying which means more kids will be hungry, thats all they eat sometimes.

• It's our problem not the governments

This is a free country if they put tax on junk food we will never have that snack food again. All fast food places have mostly junk food are we going to really put a tax on conveniance NO so they better not tax junk food it's a stupid idea.

• Obesity is fake!!!

People dont get fat because of junk food!!!! People get fat because they eat to much food! It needs to be fifty words long!!! So annoying…. Ppopp pue pee banana random word basket ball sport skate fly die i believe i can fly…. Junk food tax is sad…. :( hoorible

• 2 different types of people .

1 , there can be a person who eats junk food , but then does exercise . And doesn't get overweight . 2 , there can be an overweight person who is siting on the couch eating junk food . Maybe they should just do fatty tax on overweight people . It wouldn't be fair if someone has to pay tax on something they are craving for or wants to eat . And plus , you have to pay already 1.49 for chips . If they add tax , it"ll probably be 2.00 .

• No because its dumb and useless

No because its dumb and useless because the goverment already take taxs from us and NO ONE LIKES TAXS! And some people work at a teribble place and can't afford them also some people are always busy and just go to like Mcdonalds or something like that. Still no one likes taxs

• Hello i think its a no from me

Hi let me talk please please mr balance ok never mind i am son of sun dude laps ok joke man easy joke again elections i am fatty cake patty cake man joke mommy dude joke man joke has one ten nine eight seven six five four three two bye