Should there be armed security guards and teachers at every school?

• To an extent.

Not teachers, because some would possibly be extremely irresponsible with weapons in a classroom, which would cause problems hiring teachers. But armed security should be at every school. Shootings in which a very large number of people are killed or injured, usually occur in unarmed places, like schools. There may still be a death count, but if there is armed security the problem would be resolved quickly and hopefully efficiently. The culprit doesn't even have to be shot and killed, instead can be overtaken. It doesn't have to be airport tight, and armed security may even be a quite unnerving to students or staff, but mentally that is a small price to pay for overall security of children and staff.

• Not an odd idea, it has merely been politicized

We protect our most valuable asset. There are security guards at banks to protect the money. If you want to walk into a courthouse there will likely be a metal detector and police throughout the building. I believe that I will go uncontested when I say that children are our most important asset, but I figure I will say it anyways. So why not place protection in front of a building with hundreds of our beloved children? There will always be people who want to hurt others, so why leave the most vulnerable among us without any protection when they are densely congregated.

If the argument is that it will place a stigma on the children and make them feel differently about school then let me address that two ways. First, there is security everywhere outside of school (stores, government buildings, police)--even the home can have a security system to protect from wrongdoers, so children are used to this. Second, it is only stigmatizing if you picture the security guard acting in a stoic and unapproachable way. Many security guards are very friendly, and if they act friendly with the children then I think there would be a bigger psychological effect from a mean teacher than a security guard.

Second, if budget is the issue then our priorities are misaligned to a disgusting level. We have the money to protect a few judges at a courthouse, but not hundreds of children. Seems off to me.

I think the idea has been politicized because those who oppose guns don't want the topic or solution to stray away from gun control. When a different solution is suggested, their support for anti-gun legislation is diluted (I am really not trying to get into that argument, but when you think about it in a non-partisan way, it makes sense.) As a result, many have pushed it off the table of options.

• It stops events like columbine and sandy hook from happening

A security guard would have to be highly trained but it wouldn't take away from police work outside of schools because this guard would be just for schools. They also would protect the school way better. It would take 3-5 minutes before police could show up but a security guard would always be there. This year a rule changed at a MIDDLE school near me. They are saying hide until an intruder gets inside your room when in attack him. I believe that that is a bad idea because 30 kids vs. A man with a gun. To keep it safe I believe we need a professional protecting the school rather than a bunch of students trying to fight. In general I believe having a security guard in the school would make the school a much safer place.

• Yes: It Would Reduce Incidents and Casualties

First off, it would make people think twice before taking action against schools in violent ways.

Secondly, if someone did decide to be violent in a school, esp. With a gun, another gun could stop that much quicker than a 911 call.

The teachers and/or security guards would need to be adequately trained just like the police are.

• Better to have security than none.

Would you let your child go to school with a broken fire alarm? Why not nip it in the bud right now, before it happens again. No, there is no guarantee that this will stop the shootings but I feel that if there are more guards the gunmen would think twice before doing their dirty deed. Or if they are dumb they will still do it and suffer the consequences.

• They should have guns

When security guards are plced in schools they are there for the purpose of protecting the students and staff inside. It is much harder for them to protect if the intruders have a more lethal arsenal then they do. Furthermore unarmed security guards fear that if there is an attack, the guys with the badge will be the first to go.

• Fight or Die

Saying theirs only one armed officer and one gunman and the gun man wins the officer to shot a bullet and then the gunman has 2 guns and can kill anyone in the school than whats going to happen then? They are goners. How are the parents going to feel then?

• Fight or Die

• Fight or Die

• Fight or Die

• No, school should feel safe as well as BE safe.

This is a tough question. In my opinion, if children come to school and there is armed security guards and armed teachers, they will feel like they are in a prison, not a school. School is supposed to be a safe place, like home. I understand the possible need for beefed up security, but we need to think about the children as well.

• No, it's not even possible.

It's not possible to have armed security guards at every school, nor is it preferable or does it make very much sense. Even if it were possible, it is not financially feasible. And children have a right to attend school without school being a "police state". Also, even if there were armed guards, if someone decides to do harm, armed guards will not stop that from happening.

• Not as safe as they used to be.

After 9/11 happened, no one tried to ban airplanes that help more than x gallons of fuel, they just beefed up the airport security system and no one has ever successfully committed an attack on the 9/11 scale since. Why does it take so long for liberals to figure out the same thing will work for schools. Maybe not arm teachers if they don't have the training, but a few security guards at each school would end these massacres when the shooter realizes that he can't just kill people with no resistance.

• No, there should not be armed security guards and teachers at every school.

Teachers are not capable of the responsibility of carrying a firearm at school. There are to many crazy teachers out there. Most teachers decided to enter teaching so that they only have to work nine months out of the year. Giving these lazy people a gun and telling them to stand guard is a bad idea.

• It's too much

I understand the question but it might just be too much. If your saying that we have more of them at schools that need them, maybe that would work. Schools are layoff teachers and do not have money to fund anything. We would be trading teachers for security guards. Argh.

• Terribly terrible idea

Do you realize that kids are not the brightest? There would be more incidences of "accidental shooting". A kid, or several fight with a security guard, gun is taken. Now before they realize they are making a mistake another security guard comes and shoots them because they are not as trained as a police officer to keep their cool. Everyone is thinking with emotion and not common sense. School shootings are tragic, but there are not enough to put your kids at risk literally every day. This idea is merely putting guns im a school on a daily basis.

• Better security systems

Security guards shouldn't have the need for guns since the school can implement something that can check for any guns and something with id's to help defend the students. Students might take the guns that security officers have and threaten the school. It will be too dangerous for the children. I SAY NO!

• Cause kids need freedom in life

There live long so suck my dick cause we dont need security guards
    some of them gay they fuck you in the locker room like at high school i use to go to .. They eat my sister out not me my sister but she gay so o well and some of them is raps

• Cause kids need freedom in life