Should there be armed security guards and teachers at every school?

• To an extent.

Not teachers, because some would possibly be extremely irresponsible with weapons in a classroom, which would cause problems hiring teachers. But armed security should be at every school. Shootings in which a very large number of people are killed or injured, usually occur in unarmed places, like schools. There may still be a death count, but if there is armed security the problem would be resolved quickly and hopefully efficiently. The culprit doesn't even have to be shot and killed, instead can be overtaken. It doesn't have to be airport tight, and armed security may even be a quite unnerving to students or staff, but mentally that is a small price to pay for overall security of children and staff.

• Not an odd idea, it has merely been politicized

We protect our most valuable asset. There are security guards at banks to protect the money. If you want to walk into a courthouse there will likely be a metal detector and police throughout the building. I believe that I will go uncontested when I say that children are our most important asset, but I figure I will say it anyways. So why not place protection in front of a building with hundreds of our beloved children? There will always be people who want to hurt others, so why leave the most vulnerable among us without any protection when they are densely congregated.

If the argument is that it will place a stigma on the children and make them feel differently about school then let me address that two ways. First, there is security everywhere outside of school (stores, government buildings, police)--even the home can have a security system to protect from wrongdoers, so children are used to this. Second, it is only stigmatizing if you picture the security guard acting in a stoic and unapproachable way. Many security guards are very friendly, and if they act friendly with the children then I think there would be a bigger psychological effect from a mean teacher than a security guard.

Second, if budget is the issue then our priorities are misaligned to a disgusting level. We have the money to protect a few judges at a courthouse, but not hundreds of children. Seems off to me.

I think the idea has been politicized because those who oppose guns don't want the topic or solution to stray away from gun control. When a different solution is suggested, their support for anti-gun legislation is diluted (I am really not trying to get into that argument, but when you think about it in a non-partisan way, it makes sense.) As a result, many have pushed it off the table of options.

• It stops events like columbine and sandy hook from happening

A security guard would have to be highly trained but it wouldn't take away from police work outside of schools because this guard would be just for schools. They also would protect the school way better. It would take 3-5 minutes before police could show up but a security guard would always be there. This year a rule changed at a MIDDLE school near me. They are saying hide until an intruder gets inside your room when in attack him. I believe that that is a bad idea because 30 kids vs. A man with a gun. To keep it safe I believe we need a professional protecting the school rather than a bunch of students trying to fight. In general I believe having a security guard in the school would make the school a much safer place.

• Yes: It Would Reduce Incidents and Casualties

First off, it would make people think twice before taking action against schools in violent ways.

Secondly, if someone did decide to be violent in a school, esp. With a gun, another gun could stop that much quicker than a 911 call.

The teachers and/or security guards would need to be adequately trained just like the police are.

• Better to have security than none.

Would you let your child go to school with a broken fire alarm? Why not nip it in the bud right now, before it happens again. No, there is no guarantee that this will stop the shootings but I feel that if there are more guards the gunmen would think twice before doing their dirty deed. Or if they are dumb they will still do it and suffer the consequences.

• Hi i'm flowey

Here in undertale it's kill or be killed. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. !!!!!!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

• We should for protection

We need protection for our schools if we get attacked by something or someone we will have protection able to protect us kids and we would not be harmed i think teachers should have Pen Guns a Pen gun is a gun that looks like a pen and it is able to fit a bullet in the chamber of the pen, the security guards should have guns

• Dsadsadsa dsa das dsa

Das dsf das fdsa fdas fdasf das fdsa fdsa fdsa fdsa fds fdsa fds fdsa fbdhjsab fdhsabhfjbdsabfdhsbhfjbds hjfbdshjab fdj fbdshj hjdsb hf f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f

• Why have everyone get killed

People need to understand that shooters are just going to kill off the young population. We need security guards to protect the fronts of school and keep students and teachers from getting killed. Students shouldn't have to sacerfise there life just so that way that guy can just be happy. That's unfair.

• The safety or are children

I think their should be armed teachers and security guards because what if someone bad came and tried to kill the children and the teacher how would they defend them self by hiding. By the time they call the police their will be people dead. But if teachers or security guards were armed that would be a different story they would all be safe.

• No, school should feel safe as well as BE safe.

This is a tough question. In my opinion, if children come to school and there is armed security guards and armed teachers, they will feel like they are in a prison, not a school. School is supposed to be a safe place, like home. I understand the possible need for beefed up security, but we need to think about the children as well.

• No, it's not even possible.

It's not possible to have armed security guards at every school, nor is it preferable or does it make very much sense. Even if it were possible, it is not financially feasible. And children have a right to attend school without school being a "police state". Also, even if there were armed guards, if someone decides to do harm, armed guards will not stop that from happening.

• Not as safe as they used to be.

After 9/11 happened, no one tried to ban airplanes that help more than x gallons of fuel, they just beefed up the airport security system and no one has ever successfully committed an attack on the 9/11 scale since. Why does it take so long for liberals to figure out the same thing will work for schools. Maybe not arm teachers if they don't have the training, but a few security guards at each school would end these massacres when the shooter realizes that he can't just kill people with no resistance.

• No, there should not be armed security guards and teachers at every school.

Teachers are not capable of the responsibility of carrying a firearm at school. There are to many crazy teachers out there. Most teachers decided to enter teaching so that they only have to work nine months out of the year. Giving these lazy people a gun and telling them to stand guard is a bad idea.

• It's too much

I understand the question but it might just be too much. If your saying that we have more of them at schools that need them, maybe that would work. Schools are layoff teachers and do not have money to fund anything. We would be trading teachers for security guards. Argh.

• Teachers can pull it out on students

Students can be in trouble with security guards and teachers with guns because a student can find it or the security guards or teachers may lose it and pull it on a student . This puts people in safety but still in danger because you don't know what will happen with these guns

• The problem is, that there are guns.

In Ireland there are very few, if any schools, that have security guards, let alone armed ones. There would be an easily climbable gate and security cameras at the entrance. Have we ever had a school shooting? No. We have the fourth lowest gun ownership rate in the EU, 4.3. Compared to 88.8 in the U.S. It makes complete sense. The solution is very simple. Get rid of all guns.

• Who wants a repeat of the Sandy hook shooting?

No there shouldn't be guards. Guards are for castles, not schools. Besides, what is to stop someone doing it when no one is there. Guards can't stay awake forever. It would require more spending. And just what about drugs or alcohol? They may be tested, but what is to stop a weed iif they get bored.

• Intimidated Young Students

Little kids will have a harder time concentrating on their schoolwork because most of them will be frightened by the guards. I say we need a better future in helping kids and getting a better job in later years. We don't want kids to be intimidated and also good fortune.