Should there be mandatory drug testing in public schools?

• They should be tested

In my opinion as a 7th grader I would want to be drug tested so my parents know that i'm not with the wrong people and i'm not going to be. My parents should know what i'm doing when i'm doing it and why i am doing it. It is not right that people do bad things and get away from it. So yes I do want drug testing in school .

• They should be tested

• They should be tested

• Yes, in the right way.

The same drug testing for the body should be done, and backpacks shouldn't be looked through to see whether there are drugs or weapons. An electronic paddle-scan should be used to scan the person and the backpacks. That's the best way privacy can be respected while security is still being insured.

• Yes, that might be a good idea.

From middle school on, it could be fine to twice a year check each student for drugs in a noninvasive way. There are many other tests regarding physical health that must be done or proof provided in order to enter various grade levels, so this could jsut be routine like those.

• No! No drug testing on children!

Drug testing is an unnecessary intrusion into the private lives of citizens with little positive impact on the people concerned. Once testing positive, children will not only face stigma and punishment from their school and parents, but also they just become better at avoiding/manipulating their drug tests! The ONLY time drug testing could be justified is where an adult is in an occupation that involves either 1) a duty of care to others and 2) the job is safety critical. Children should be allowed to be children, and part of growing up is navigating all the dangers of the real world. Parents have the ultimate responsibility to support and direct their kids the best they can. They should be educated on the possible consequences of drug use. Aside from that, experimenting recreationally is quite normal and can rarely be prevented no matter how much money the government throws at the War On Drugs. Chronic drug use among children should be looked at in the same light as alcoholism i.E as a symptom of other deeper issues that require intervention and support - drug tests will do nothing to help, in fact it will only serve to tarnish and label these kids as criminals.

• Not at all. Students have rights.

Students do not have the right to not attend school. And they cannot exercise freedom of speech, nor religion in certain cases. No mater what students may do, they have a right to privacy. I don't care what they do in their free time, but if it doesn't affect the school, the government has no right to dictate or require drug tests. Its wrong. Deal with it

• Building a trust is important.

With a mandatory drug test in schools, there becomes a loss of trust between student and teacher, and administrative staff and student. There is absolutely no way to control the use of drugs with students, so why ruin a child's chance to receive further education and a job later on?

• Students have rights

Students in public school should not be mandoarty drug tested because they have the right to not want to be drug tested since it is a public and not private school. Although i do think students should be drug tested if there behavior is out of control and seem like they could be doing drugs.