Should there be phones allowed in Middle school? (6th-8th)

Asked by: Conrada
  • It is an issue of safety

I believe that students should be permitted to carry cell phones. Not for the sake of entertainment, or for texting their friends in different classes but for in the event of an emergency. If something were to happen in the school, students would be able to dial 911 or another emergency number.

• I believe there shall

I think there should, because they provide entertainment during breaks, and communication if needed. I think that it should be a privledge, (no messing around in class) and that they could be confiscated if needed. But, I think that they should be allowed at certain times of the day. They can also help with education: https://getkahoot.com/

• Cuzfitynot a a

Cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot cuzfitynot

• What about an emergency

What if a kid got in an emergency. He would need to call his parents or what if his parents got in an accident and they didn't have the schools number. I think schools should let kids have phones in school. But that's just my opinion. What about emergency. Huh

• Should Be Allowed

In my opinion, I do believe cell phone usage should be allowed in middle school, with a clear understanding that they are to be used to enhance education. I do believe, however, that there needs to be harsher consequences for those who abuse the policy. Repeat offenders should have their privileges revoked and parents notified. If students use their cell phones appropriately, for reading, researching or studying, then ultimately, they are simply another access to information than CAN be beneficial. Through the years as a middle school teacher, I have experienced few issues with cell phone misuse, rather, the majority of students reap the benefits, similar to those who benefit from mini-iPads. Just this year alone, I have noticed a tremendous increase in vocabulary success on quizzes when students use the cell phone APP Quizlet, proof that cell phones CAN aid in the academic arena. The benefits easily outweigh the potential misuse. Therefore, as long as students understand (by signing a cell phone agreement) the seriousness of the consequences for misuse and/or abuse, cell phones, like any other tech device, should be allowed in a middle school setting. Kilpatrick

• Cell phones are computers

I believe that students are able to use cell phones responsibly with a few exceptions. Smart phones have the computing capacity of laptops or desktop stations. Students can benefit from having a computer with them, whether they are recording due dates in a calendar, taking a photo of a diagram on the board, or researching. A few irresponsible or disrespectful students could ruin it for others, but I'm hopeful we can harness this power and use it for good!

• Absolutely. With caution.

Cell phones unlock worlds and information that enrich and support learning in the classroom, when used respectfully and responsibly. By embracing their use in classrooms, while also having strict policies around the times and ways they are used, students will be able to be part of an interactive educational environment.

• Absolutely no need.

Students in general- no matter what the age- have no business having their cell phones on and available during school hours. Not only are they a distraction and cheating aid, but they foster an inability of students to communicate on any proper level.

Let's not pretend students are ACTUALLY using their phones for honest research, people. They're playing Angry Birds and texting and surfing the web.

• Used Inappropriately .

While there are plenty of legitimate uses for technology in the classroom, the negatives outweigh the positives. The distraction caused by phone use, inappropriate use of cameras, and bullying are just some of the reasons I can think of. Most students have access to Ipads in class for educational reasons, rendering the need for smart phones unnecessary

• Distraction and Bullying

I do not believe students should have cell phones in middle school. First, students are at the age when bullying is rampant and social media is just an easy way for the aggressors to target their victims. Also, prior to cell phones students were aware of emergencies at home by a simple phone call from mom, dad, or any other adult through the office, not a text.