• School can get stressful

Kids with learning dificulty can find school stressful at young ages and having to go through the school routine everyweek day for +6 hours can feel like hell to them! And dont forget that kids that have entered puberty begin to experience more stress too, piling all their workloads and school hours isnt going to help make them less stressed.

I have social anxiety and school was the worst thing for me as a kid, i would get lonley and stressed from all the work and having no one to help me, sometimes i would just start crying in the middle of class because of my frustration with my workload. My relationship with school became so bad that my school attendance dropped by 50% one year and i also devoloped depression. The fussy teachers and the amount of work and the long hours of school and a job was just too much stress for me that i eventually learned to hate it.

• Only under certain circumstances.

I think the students who excel greatly should have shorter days, they've earned it. The dumb/asinine students shout get 8/9 hr. Average kids 6/7, and kids who excel greatly 5/5.5. It isn't fair that smart kids who just want to learn fast and get out have to attend longer classes, with time included for teacher discipline. The smart kids could get just as much work done as the others. I'm pissed off at the fact that some people spoil everything because they aren't up to standard. Teachers spend too much time on discipline, not enough on teaching.

• It would help a lot I believe

Honestly, I think that schools need to have homework policies, which would limit teacher's to how much homework they are allowed to assign. Students have to get up very early in the morning (I wake up at 6:45), and often do not get the recommended 8 hours of sleep. So if an hour were to be cut in the morning and a reasonable amount of homework assigned, students could show up with a good night's sleep, ready to learn.

• Seriously! I had to go through 8 hours?

First of all, I just got into college, but i still know it's stupid all kids have 9 straight months of school a year! I have alot of friends but that's not it! Alot of the time we just waste that time because we always get stuff done early and also i think school should be 6 hours a day! At my Elementary/Middle School/High school i had to wake up at 6:00 and be their at 7:00 also,i'd have to go home at 3:10! Ridiculous! Kids get stressed easily!

• How much did you really learn in school?

If you had taken me when i was 5 and taught me for 2 hours a day about things that actually matter. Courage, truth, honor, fidelity, discipline, hospitality, self reliance, industriousness, perseverance, personal responsibility. These are the things that matter in life

Instead you have teachers rambling on about algebra, chemistry, biology, geometry. These things have their places, but why does the average citizen need to know any of it? I am an engineer and I don't even need to know this stuff. If you want to be a chemist, or a mathematician, or a biologist, I suggest you go to college for it. The rest of humanity would be better served with the basic foundation education we had years ago. Basic math, English, history, etc. and then be taught more about how to be a productive member of this society.

So yes. School should be shortened to as little time as possible. We are cranking out useless people that think they know something about the world when all they have been taught is empty equations.

I think this Poem by Walt Whitman sums it up nicely

"When I heard the Learn’d Astronomer"

"WHEN I heard the learn’d astronomer;
    When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
    When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
    When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,
    How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;"
    Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
    In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
    Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars."

• Here's an alternative

Not necessarily shorten it, but rather have a later start time and a shorter week, like working "4 10's" per say. Studies show that the human brain is not fully functional until after 10am anyways. I think if schools around the nation shortened the days to four but added and hour to each day, all areas of academics would improve immensely.

• Why shorten school?

If anything, we should lengthen the school days. If we shortened the time we spent at school everyday, we would have to go more days during the year to make up the time that we didn't go during the other days. School Districts require that students go to school for a certain amount of time throughout the year. If we shortened the time that kids went to school, they would be in school more days of the year rather than just getting off of school. If we lengthened the school day, however, there would be less days in the year that we would have to come to school, and we would probably have more time of holidays. We may not be able to spend as much time on other activities or hanging out with friends, because you'd have homework most days, and you would be getting home later, but just think about it. You would get more time to hang out with friends over holidays from school, because you would have more holidays, and you would have more time to spend with them anyways.