Should transgender individuals be forced to use a particular bathroom?

• Not an issue of rights, but more of fighting for special privileges that aren't deserved.

There's nothing special about transgenders that warrants the allowance of bathroom selection. If they are born male, use the men's restroom. If born a women, use the women's room. Don't like the idea? I say use your own bathroom. There's a big difference between a right and a special privilege. This is clearly the latter. Not to mention, this is a law that can be easily abused by sexual predators.

• Traditional family values still rule the roost.

Imagine an adult female exiting a bathroom stall, and running into a full grown male standing in the women's bathroom with his penis exposed. Will she be raped? Is it a transgender with special rights? Who knows! But this is what a new California law wants to expose are school age children too. Not to mention transgender lockers, sports teams and the likes.
    The many times that I have accompanied my children to a public restroom this has never been a concern. Men went into the men's restroom, women went into the women's. I abhore the thought of my 9 year daughter using the restroom (at her school of all places) and a boy enter the facility. This should not have to be a concern for the 99.99% of the parents who are certain of the gender of their child. This is such a common sense issue. We as parents live to protect the innocence of our children. Not to expose them to the LGBT agenda which works in direct contrast to traditional family values. Think of the innocence of our children first.

• Lots of red flags

If you have a penis, regardless of what you look like on the outside, then you need to use the men's room. If you have a vagina, regardless of what you look like on the outside, then you need to use the women's room. I have zero issues with transgender people - it's their life, not mine and it doesn't affect me, so dress and act however you want as long as it's not hurting anyone. But as a woman, I have a right to a penis-free bathroom. How many pervs will abuse this rule and go into the ladies' room to sexually assault someone or to get off seeing women in there? There are too many red flags. If you don't feel comfortable using the bathroom that matches your genitals, then use a family bathroom or single occupancy bathroom. Problem solved for everyone.

• So Many Red Flags...

I think that if you have a penis, regardless of what you look like on the outside then you should have to use the men's room. If you have a vagina, regardless of what you look like on the outside then you should have to use the ladies room. I don't understand transgender people, but I don't have a problem with their lifestyle. It doesn't affect me, so why should I make decisions about theirs? Where it gets sticky for me is in the bathroom. As a woman, I have the right to a penis-free bathroom. How many pervs will go into the women's room pretending to be trans just to sexually assault me or get off on seeing other women in there? If transgender people don't feel comfortable going into the bathroom that matches their genitals then use a family or single occupancy bathroom. Problem solved.

• It's a matter of safety

Of feeling safe in your own bathroom. I don't want to go into a public women's bathroom with anyone who has a penis. What if that person hasn't taken hormones or have surgery, but still claim to be transgender do we just take their word? It's a hard topic but I feel that you can always use a one room, unisex bathroom in most places like Starbucks.

• This is an issue of special treatment for transgender people, not an issue of rights.

Transgender people are usually a certain gender decided by their genitalia but associate with the opposite gender. Defined by law though they are defined by their genitalia. Unless they undergo the surgery to physically change their sex, there is no reason that they should have the special treatment to choose their own bathroom based upon which sex they associate themselves with. Not to mention the fact that the law would easily be abused by perverts and pedophiles.

• Yes they should

I think they should because they were born with what they have and they need to accept it cant change it now. If they chose the opposite gender than they naturally born with they might get made fun of or worse. So that is why they should be forced to use a particular bathroom.

• Use What You're Dressed For

I prefer the simplest answer for transgender people using public bathrooms. If the transgender person is dressed more as male then they should only use men's restrooms. If the transgender individual is dressed more as a woman, then they should use the women's restrooms. I don't think this is something should make a bug deal out of, just something for common sense.

• As a trans boy: YES.

I am a 12 year old trans boy. I am currently forced to use the girls' bathroom at school. It sounds weird, but it would be so much more comfortable to be able to use the bathroom that I choose. Everyone uses the bathroom to do the same thing: do their business and leave. Everyone else feels comfortable in the rest room, so why am I not allowed to feel the same?

• Unless they have had a sex change operation

If you have had gender reassignment surgery, then by all means use the ladies room. If not, then don't. But if it's one of those single-person bathrooms that have gender signs like at gas stations, and nobody is waiting, i think anyone of any gender or sex should just go for it.

• What's in your pants doesn't define who you are.

I'm sorry, but it's true. Simply because you were born one gender, doesn't mean you should be forced to believe that's your only option for you to define who YOU are. If you think of yourself as a female, go use the female's restroom. No one should have tell you that you're not a woman, or you're not a man, simply because of the role you were assigned at birth. Many members of society today still have a problem with that. But what's so hard about accepting who you are inside AND out? If were born one gender, but see yourself as another, why do you have to be so unhappy to fit into the roles the world around you says what they THINK you'd fit best? What ever genitals you've got in your pants (or in your skirts!) shouldn't identify who YOU are as an individual. And it sure as hell shouldn't define what door you're allowed to walk into to relieve your bladder.

• This Endangers Transgenders

Forcing transgenders to use particular bathrooms is encouraging violence. Transgender PoC in particular are at a very high risk of sexual assault, rape, and hate crimes than any other group. Public venues are the second most common place where transgenders are attacked which includes bathrooms. They are just people trying to use a bathroom. Let them go in the bathroom that corresponds with their gender identification.

• So many cis people are worried about being attacked by trans people in lavatories....

But sorry to say this to all you transphobic people, but 70% of transgender men and women in a 2013 study reported violence and harassment in public lavatories, while there has never been a reported attack on a cis person by a trans man or women.
    As for the ""special privilege,"" using the bathroom of your gender identity is not a privilege, its a right.
    Stop acting like trans people spout about and reveal their genitals for all to see (when its really cis strangers harassing them about their parts.)

• Not your body, not your buisness.

There is more of a safety issue for the transgender person in the stall next to you rather than you. They're there to do the same thing you are. Relieve their restroom needs, and leave. As a transman let me tell you it will make a woman much more uncomfortable when i, a young man with facial hair, a deep voice, and a masculine stature, much more uncomfortable than any man I have been in the same restroom as. You only think it's a good idea because you have yet to be in that situation. It isn't your call if you're cis gender where another individual can take A leak.

• No, they should not be forced to use a specific bathroom

The whole segregated bathrooms started in the Victorian era because people were afraid of innapropriate sexual liasons between a cis-genered man and a cis-genered woman. This is an out moded, stupid and Puritanical view. Plus, it does not stop the liasons from happening (men go down on men, and women go down on women in the segregated bathrooms). All bathrooms should be gender neutral and if sex is the concern, make the bathrooms smaller, single occupancy bathrooms.

• No they should not.

Infact, the United States didn't have gender segredaged bathrooms until the Victorian area, presubaly because they feared that cis-gendered men would have inappropriate sexual liasons with cis-gendered woman. This is a very stupid, outdated and wrong view. If they are worrid about sexual behavior, men have sexual liasons with other men and women with women (cis) in these bathrooms, so it did not stop the Puritanical fear of sex in the bathroom from comming true.

• They are now a different gender

Transgenders have changed their gender. Most often, you won't be able to tell that they used to be the opposite gender(hormone treatment is used) , and they make it clear that they are not who they once were, therefore they should be allowed to use the restrooms of their chosen gender. It doesn't matter what their genitalia are, they look and feel like their chosen gender. If a transgender girl is forced to use the mens restrooms, that would be incredibly awkward for everyone in the room. Those who feel awkward about having some one with opposite genitalia in their bathrooms because they think they still have urges for them are being really immature. They are now the SAME gender as everyone else in the bathroom, and the chance of a transgender woman making an advance on another woman in a bathroom are even less than the chances of a lesbian woman making an advance on another woman in a bathroom. After all, nobody is freaking out when homosexuals are still using the same rest rooms as the gender they are sexually attracted to.

• A Person's private area should not be hell'd against them.

I have 2 cousins’ that are both girls and they are perfectly fine. They live a normal life the way they feel is right and they use the bathroom to their real gender not the chosen one. And then I know 2 transgender boys, and they are best friends even though they live in different cities. And they use the bathroom of their born gender as well. I think that it is ok. You see they are as normal as all of you and they are human’s just as you. I don’t see why people make fun of then just because they prefer a different style of clothing. If you’re confident with whatever you want to wear then wear it. Mostly ever transgender person out there they don’t what to go to school dance’s, public events, or even go swimming at the beach or public swimming pool because then everyone will stare an start talking. So that makes them feel horrible about themselves and not confident anymore. I’ll put it this way. Say that this was a baseball game and that confidence, and courage was the baseball, and the people where the bat. When that transgender shows up at a dance, a girl where a suit, and the boy show’s up wearing a dress and heals and everyone stops and starts because they know what your born gender really is and they start talking about you and saying stuff that should NOT be said and the person that is pitching that ball (transgender) the all the batter (the people) and the batter hits that ball so far that they can’t find it any more. That was that transgebder’s confidence, and courage they were building up just to dress up that way they thought they should. But now it’s gone that game is over. Now that transgender won’t go to any more dances, public event’s, or go swimming with friends, because those people were so rood to them because they think that it’s sick and wrong, and they’re not normal that they should be wearing clothes that they should be wearing.
    And if the the government does ever come up with a rule about transgender people using a particular bathroom then I sure hope that they make sure that they build a transgender bathroom for ONLY the transgender people out there. So that mean and Trans, bathroom in malls, hotels, restaurants, parks, swimming pools, and ECT.
    Because this isn’t right. People criticizing people because of their life choices.

• They Need to Pee, Too

When you go into a bathroom - unless you are male - you should not be seeing anyone's genitals. Even if you are a guy, you don't watch other men pee in urinals. If a person feels like a girl on the inside, but looks like a boy on the outside, they should be able to pee in any bathroom. You do not go to the bathroom to have sex, to walk around naked, or do anything else. You pee. You're behind a stall. No one sees you, you don't see anyone. There is really no reason why this should be an issue.

• I don't think so.

These people are men and women. A transgender women shouldn't be forced to use the men's restrooms. And a transgender man shouldn't be forced to use the women's restrooms. Transgedner peole aren't mentally unstable and they're not going to attack you or your children so that idea needs to stop.