Should U.S. tax reform include a consumption tax?

• Eliminate individual income tax and impose a value added tax.

Big government is out of control. With over 92,000 employess the irs is to big to manage. The peoples ttust and confidence in the irs is gone forever.

We need to elimate the complex federal individual income tax system and implement a vlue added tax (vat) imposed on businesses that create and sell products.

Europe, japan and every other developed country in the world raises more revenue through its vat tax than its individual income tax.

A us vat tax would boarden the tax base, reduce the tax rate, tax the voluntary act of consumption, reduce the control and interaction of the irs over and with individuals and effectively reward those individuals that save.

All positives for our economy.

• Yes, I think it's a great idea.

Yes, the U.S. tax reform should include a consumption tax. I'm all for progressive taxes, and as a middle class person who has sunk to lower middle class during the Bush administration, I think it makes sense to tax according to consumption. I think this is only fair and reasonable. I love the idea.

• YES

As a matter of fact, I would like to see U.S. tax reform take that as the sole form of taxation.

I do not believe that the government has a right to the first fruits of my labor like some sort of forced offering.

What I do believe is that the government, as a mechanism for the will and representative of the people, does have a right to tax the amount of resources that I use up.

My labor belongs to me, while the resources of the country belong to everybody, and my usage of them is the appropriate place to enforce a usage fee in the form of a tax.

• Regressive Tax Only Hurts the Poor

The idea of a consumption tax is one that is embedded in extra-governmental spending. Many have floated around the idea of only have a consumption tax as a means of taxation. Many countries in Europe have moved to a Value Added Tax. This tax, however, is very regressive insofar as it hurts those who can hardly afford to pay extra on their purchases.

Posted by: pdrm
  • A consumption tax seems to parallel sales tax

You pay sales tax on products/items you consume. Adding a consumption tax would seem to be redundant and double taxation as you already pay sales tax on items you consume. No a consumption tax should not be considered for tax reform. Sales tax serves the purpose of providing taxes for the sale/consumption of products.