Should unemployed people be made to work for their welfare benefits?

Asked by: Sebjay123
  • Yes! ! !

If the government is going to take my hard earned taxpayer dollars and hand them out to people, those people better be working for what they get. And no, this doesn't make me greedy or a rich fat cat. I make less than 1,000 dollars a month, so I know what it's like to be poor. The last thing I need though is the government taking my paycheck and wasting it, but let's be honest, it's the government. Waste is their middle name.

• It's only fair!

The taxpayers have to work to provide money to support welfare programs. It's only fair that the welfare recipients work for their benefits as well. If a job can't be found in the private sector, then the public sector should make a job. Be it sweeping sidewalks, maintaining public spaces, anything.

The worst thing you can do is give those in poverty free money. The current welfare system where people are given money for simply existing leads to problems like drug and alcohol abuse. Without the stability and commitment of a job, people on welfare benefits are more likely to indulge in drugs or alcohol simply to pass the time.

• Make them fill up volunteer hours

Make people on welfare fill up volunteer hours. There are plenty of agencies that need volunteer workers. Make them work with them. It's understandable if you can't find a job but you can always find someone who needs volunteers. This way they aren't just getting some money for free. They are still working.

• If people are unable to work they should be considered disabled.

I know many people on welfare. Some have physical and emotional issues that make work unlikely. These people will not be helped by requiring them to work at the same standard as healthy / competent people.

For others, there may be value to making work essential to receiving a check. Some need to gain work skills (like showing up on time or even waking up before noon) and others need stability and to form some better habits.

• Who are we kidding? The reason why people have unemployment benefits are because they can't find a job in the first place.

Let's stop with the illusion. Most people want to work. Poverty and the depression that comes from it is not fun for anyone. If you make people work for their benefits that is time they are spending not looking for a job to get off of benefits. America needs to just stop with the nonsense that the unemployed are lazy. America isn't creating enough jobs. I hate to tell everyone. Automation has really impacted things and no new industries are being formed.

For every one slacker in our society, there are ten people who just want an opportunity. Only jaded cynics who live comfortable lives think otherwise. But don't worry America, the way things are going, there is going to be a lot more unemployed. In fact, the unemployment numbers now are bogus. They are dropping because people have become so disillusioned that they have stopped looking. Go to the soup kitchens and see for yourself.

You want to see more jobs? Stop being so dang greedy and cause a general drop in the price of goods. Lower gas prices. Stop giving huge executive bonuses and re-invest that money back into growing the business. ALL of us are to blame for unemployment. Oh yea, stop all these needless bogus wars and re-invest in our country.