Should Video Game developers make more female protagonists?

Asked by: Burnouts3s3
  • Sure why not?

I do not think developers should jump right to a male protagonist. The only games I really play are MMOs and ARPG games so this wouldn't really affect me because I just create a female character anyway. There's only one game I've seen to have a female protagonist though; that was Assassins Creed III: Liberation. I think developers should try to widen their protagonist from simply being a white guy to having asian women, black women, black males, latino women & men, homosexual men and women and have some diversity in video games instead of the white guy. Not saying that they all need to not be a white guy, just more should be diverse.

• They should make more female protagonists who actually have backgrounds

Too many video games are taking female characters with in-depth backgrounds, sexualising them, and then selling them to make a profit from the male dominated audience. Catwoman from Arkham City (a character that actually has some interesting story), is dressed in an unnecessary manner that does not do anything for the game! Female characters should fit their role, just as the men do. Overtly explicit material is not the way to go.

• Yes, but with strings

I think video games have the potential to tell great stories. That, and we could use more variety of women in video games. But, I don't think we should simply have 'more'. I think we need more variety, not more of the same i.e. action girls with little to no distinguishing personalities, such as Lightning from FF or Nilin from Remember Me. I'd say examples such as Kreia from Kotor 2, Aveline from Dragon Age 2 and Clementine from Walking Dead Season 2.

We should empathize quality over quantity.

• Women and girls are gamers too

I am a 13 year old gamer and I'm a girl. But am expected by my mother to be 'pretty' and find a new interest. I hate the fact that everyone who think girls play games are only doing it for a guy! Someone please stop forcing girls to be what the world think they should be! Just Please! Then girls in video games are always being saved and can't fight for themselves and being sex dolls to all the men in games! And the women who do fight are in skimpy clothes! Samus was the greatest female protag ever, and before zero suit, no one knew that person was a girl. I want to at least play Street Fighter with my friends and not hear them sex talking about Chun-li, who is an awesome girl, or the other girls! Not everyone who plays a video game is a guy. I have an Nes, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, WiiU, Wii, Gameboy, Ds ,3ds, dsI, PS 2,3,4, and a xbox! Girls play video games too!

Gabrielle Parmer, 13

• Why not guys?

Why not, creativity is stagnant anyway. We need some more varietyin game characters beyond the grizzled white dude trying to get revenge fora murdered girlfriend. They "do what fits best for the story" argument doesnt hold for me because most game stories arent thought out that deeply. They dont throw in a male character for artistry they do it by default

• Games need more females

I have seen and herd many people of both genders including my self saying games need more females and people mainly the male's saying that's not true because only males play games Witch is completely false my whole family and friends play games and enjoy them emencly and no not just candy crush. I'm talking RPGs MMOs FPSs you name it. In fact my mother kicks my ass in shooters all the time. But even the males would rather play as females then this same old boring white middle aged men and when the choice is given will play a female. I my self only really buy games these days if I can create or choose a female Witch I then literally spend two hours making my characters if the option is available. In fact my friends of most are classified as gamer girls complain that more games need girls in them and I completely agree.

• More quality female protagonists in videogames!

What's needed is more quality female protagonists in videogames!

Young boys and teenagers need to recognize that females can be major contributors to the world and this experience can be reinforced by having females play the main role in videogames! Rather than teaching young girls and boys that girls are exclusively sex objects there to serve the man and do his will, they need to be taught that females are essential characters in the world, that impact it in a variety of ways; that females can perform task just as well as any men and fill roles that have traditionally not been occupied by them!

Teaching them while they're young! What's needed is more quality female protagonists in books, movies, and videogames!

• Yes They Should

Yeah I do think that video game developers should make more female protagonist's because if you really think about it most video games have male protaginists and that's kind of discriminatory to women. Also, people can look up to women too, men don't own the world, so why not have a female protagonist? Plus it would make for a cool video game!!

• Yes, we need to promote equality in the gaming world.

Some gamers think that girls only play video games to grab the attention of males. This is an assumption being made not only by players, but the developers alike. The girls we see in video games are often shown as weaker than the male gender and ridiculed for it. Girls play video games, girls do everything their male counterparts do. It shouldn't even be a question that girls need to be in the spotlight more often. We need to show a wide demographic of gamers that the hero doesn't have to be a man, the hero can be anyone, no matter your gender, skin color, or your background.

• Its forced and usually cringeworthy

By female protagonists we usually mean butch women who act like men. In video games these "females" are presented to us as "soldiers", "warriors", "astronauts", i.e. typical male roles. Developers (who are mostly exclusively nerdy, skinny pr overweight beta males) usually go out of their way to portray said female heroes as equal or usually tougher than males (Tomb Raider, Mirrors Edge one coupe of many examples). The 110lb throwing 200lb armed trained men as though these are made of cardboard is not realistic. A girl pretending to be a man is not attractive and doesn't do women any favors. Girl gamers? How many are there really that play these kinds of games?
    Pushing more women as man-replacement in games is not going to get girls suddenly interested in fps for example. But it would deter some men from playing these. You are not letting the market decide what it wants, but rather pushing your ideology that "women are the same as men, just better".

• Making female protagonists for the sake of making female protagonists is just making the problem worse.

If we have game developers making female protagonists just because there aren't many female protagonists, then they will indirectly be supporting the stereotype by showing that, yes, female protagonists are a strange phenomenon.

The only solution is to have people make female protagonists, not for the sake of making a female protagonist, but instead, make the protagonist a female for no real reason. Like portal for instance.

• If There is a Market For It

Video Game Developers are like any other businesses. They need to make money. It doesn't make sense to create something that doesn't generate enough interest and turn a profit. Before creating anything businesses will run a market analysis to find their target audience. The current characters seen in the video gaming industry are based on what sells best.

• Consider the market

I see a lot of arguments on the pro side that claim that there needs to be 'equality' in the gaming industry. That's not how it works, ladies and gentlemen. Video gaming always has, and probably always will be, a male dominated market. Players want to immerse themselves in the story and 'become' the protagonist. It's far easier to relate to someone of your own sex than of the opposite, so there is little to no demand for female protagonists.

Were there a market for female protagonists, it might not be a bad idea to create a few more. But there isn't and in all probability, will never be since video gaming is a male space. It's similar to how commercials for pickup trucks and hunting gear have historically and always will feature men, because it is a male space.

• Why this topic in the first place?

It's completely ok to make female protagonists but there is a question left unanswered. Why do you want MORE? I mean, aren't there already females as protagonists? No one in the world pays attention to gender while gaming to the point where they say "you know what? Video games need more females in them."

• You don't see monster trucks on the cover of Vogue

So why should video games represent female interests if the video game industry is dominated by males? I'm not being sexist, I'm a female myself, but if you want more female centered games, then females need to either make more video games or play more video games. Don't expect males to accurately display female interests. Maddox made a great video on this very topic from which I get this argument.

• They should make the character that fits best.

They should make characters that best fit their story. If the character is best as a guy, they should make it a guy. If the best character for a story is a girl, than they should be a girl. They shouldn't take a character that works best as a guy, and turn them into a girl to appease the overly PC.

• If there were a demand for more female protagonists, there would be more female protagonists.

The reason I say no is not because I dislike female protagonists. The vast majority of gamers are male and it can be expected that a male would rather his virtual character also be a male, just as a female would rather her virtual character be a female, by and large, for the most part. To say that females are just sexualized by not being protagonists really doesn't hit the nail, women can be sexualized whether the protagonist or not, and if the protagonist, it is more effective. I find that when gender is forced into a character for the sake of gender itself, the character turns out to seem, well, forced. And nothing is worse than a forced character. I dislike female characters who seem to have all the personality traits and physical abilities of a man, but have boobs and a cute face, because...?

• There are enough already enough.

Many video games have a choice of character that can be either male or female. There are also many the feature a gender specific protagonist. Seeing that the vast majority of gamers are male, the ratio should reflect this. Few men would want to play a game where they have to take the roll of a girl/woman. Seeing that gender of game developers are reflecting the average video game player and they tend to create a role that they would play means that ratio is equal in lead characters by compared to the ratio to gamers .