Should video games be regulated by the government?

• Yes

The reality of video games is that mostly children play them. These days a sad reality is that you cannot rely on a parent to do what's right for their child. So video games should be regulated so as not to allow extremely violent games to be given to young, impressionable children. These images can be engraned in a childs mind and desensitize them to commit similar acts themselves.

• Fgd dfgd dfg

Fdf fgdfg ddfg df g g g g g g g g g g g g g gsdfg sdf gs gdsg fsdfg gf sfg sdf sdf sfgs df sdf sdfg sdfg fg ssd sdfg sds gsdf sd gsdfg sdgf sd sdfg sdfg sdfg sdfg sdg sdfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg dfg

• Do violent video games linked to behavior problems?

One of my son's uncle gave my six year old son a video game called "Grand Theft Auto" to play, and I came home from work and he said "dad I shot a person with my gun, and there are sex scenes in the game. I told him you are too young to play this game and to never play it again. Kids they should be protected from all the adult content media, and we as parents if we do our job well, there is no need for the government to stick their nose into our homes.

• My beef is simply the addictive nature of gaming and extended, variable end times.

Computer games that have highly variable end times play havoc with family structure and teach kids that they can put off what tasks they should be doing. If a kid gets caught up in a game that has an extended period then there in no enforceable, finite timeline.

If the computer game industry can self-regulate on this issue I would be happy to withdrawal my yes vote here.

I trust my teenage son and my own abilities to create a balanced structure to encourage him to be aware of the violence issue, but there needs to be a 30 - 45 minute hard deadline. Gamers can regulate their intensity accordingly. My son already has to run to the bathroom because he holds his bladder so long, and he now has a medical diagnosis of enlarged bladder.

I don't want him to be one of those teens who buys adult pull-up disposable diapers so he can stay on games even longer.

• I am a GameStop Employee and a gamer.

Crimes committed have nothing to do with the games. However, filling their head with certain aspects of GTA (grand theft auto) games and such is not morally right. I been playing games since I was about 5. I tell you that around that age, I got upset when I saw my brother "killing people" on the TV, and then as I got older, I became desensitized. And I don't care that we regulate the M mature rating because parents still unknowingly but games like GTA 5 from us at GameStop and complain later about the sex scenes. For those that buy it for their under-aged kids, you are committing a felony, literally. I don't suggest a rating of T or M for kids, they should be outside playing, swimming, or doing homework. I am very young but I have seen the difference, life isn't purely about entertainment, for those who believe so, just as I used to cling to this idea, you will be very disappointed in the end.

• Where's your proof?

I see comments on here like, "My sons uncle bought my son GTA5... Blah Blah Blah."

1. Thats your son's uncle's fault, Not your son's fault.

2. How do you know shooting someone is going to affect them in the future. There is no proof that violent video games cause violence. Take the Columbine shooing for example. Yes, the people that killed the kids at the school did play Violent video games! But they also had mental disabilities.

3. Violent video games don't do shit to kids, your bad parenting does.

Thank you, and goodbye.

• Where is your proof?

Thank you, and goodbye.

• Where is you proof?

Thank you, and goodbye.

• No more people

F f f ff f f f f f f f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f f f f f f f f fuck you cunts h h h hh h h hh hh h \whore

• Of course not.

Do the government care and love kids and children more than your own parents? No, and the government do not know the children's personality. Parents know a lot about kids and their personality. Why shouldn't parents make rules about violent video games? The government shouldn't make rules about video games.

• It is taking away our rights

Its taking away our right of choice they cant tell us what we can and cant play that is stupid what the heck. If we cant play video games why dont they limit ciggerettes more and smoking come on why video games this is so stupid jeeze i dont like people who take things away from me

• It is taking away our rights

• It is bad that government should regulate video games.

First, by government, there can be some piracy. Some people will try to download illegally, so it can get more bad sources to play violent games. Second, it takes away autonomy from children. Kids have responsibility to do something that they want, so we should not ban some video games.

• This is a completely pointless idea

In my opinion, it's the government trying to continually "tighten the leash" on the American people. What the children play is up to them, and it's up to the parents to raise them to know that the actions in the game should not be imitated. The public also blames violent video games for school shootings and other violent behavior, but it's not true.

• No, not at all.

I feel like allowing the arts (which I think could include video games) to be regulated by the government is a horrible idea. The arts are there to make us think and feel and express ideas and the idea of them being censored is very scary to me. They would no longer have the freedom to be creative and could easily become propaganda tools like other forms of art have in the past.

Anonymous says2013-04-18T05:07:49.673