Should video surveillance cameras in public places be banned?

• Video surveillance is invading.

How would you like it if you are using the bathroom and someone watching you? I definitely wouldn't! I would hate it to be having a feeling like someone is watching me while getting dressed or using the bathroom. Yes I know that it helps fight crime. They also cause lots of harm!

• Video surveillance is an effective deterrent to crime.

In countries, such as Korea, in which video surveillance in public places is standard, the crime rate is very low. Signs all over the streets remind citizens that they are being filmed. This would suggest that public video surveillance is an effective deterrent to crime. Additionally, public video surveillance is an effective crime solving tool.

• Video surveillance cameras help fight crime.

Video surveillance cameras in public places help to fight crime and catch criminals. It gives evidence that would be hard to come by otherwise when trying to investigate wrongdoings. An example of this is the use of public cameras to identify the people responsible for the Boston Marathon bombings and track them down.

• Private companies and citizens should still have the right for cameras

Although I am strongly supportive of removing government surveillance cameras from public places, I would not ban the cameras for use by private businesses. (For example, having a camera overlooking their storefront, which is technically public) However, all traffic cameras and closed circuit camera use by the government should immediately cease, and I would be for the banning of those type of cameras.

• Video surveillance is needed in public places.

In a perfect world, video surveillance would not be needed in public places. Unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. There are many dishonest people on this earth who are seeking to hurt others, steal from others, or damage others' property. Video surveillance is needed to curtail these types of activities. When these things do happen, video surveillance is needed to identify the person who did these things and bring them to justice.