Should violent video games be banned among young children?

Asked by: PlagueDoctor
  • Violent video games are bad

In numerous studies, violent video games have been shown to promote aggression among young people and have been the catalyst of numerous shootings. They show children violent material that, I think, they're just not ready for. In conclusion, violent video games are not good for children, but I think that they will be acceptable among more mature individuals.

• Under certain circumstances

Violent video games will exacerbate the sentiments on both sides when two countries/parties are in conflict, such as Palestine and Israel. Video games will create/worsen the illusion that your enemy is extremely hostile and dangerous. Under that circumstances, I think video games should be banned / restricted greatly to preserve peace.

• Under certain circumstances

• Yes, that's why

They have an ESRB. To state that they aren't appropriate for children of a certain age. Do i think the gubment should come in and tell you how to parent? No. But do i think violent video games can have an effect on a young impressionable mind? You bet your sweet bippy.
    The troll box is right below my post; i'm waiting...

• Not for YOUNG Children

Sure, I'm for kids in 6th grade and up playing these kinds of games, but not kids under that age. Plus, the CoD games suck anyway. Maybe I should make a debate on that? Either way, it's not right for a nine year old to be playing Grand Theft Auto V.

• It's bad during growing up

When you are still that young you can easily be influenced. Firstly you can be influenced by the market. The prices for this video games are often totally exaggerated but are still bought by youngsters. And secondly and probably the mor important one they get affected by the content. At that age your personality isn't stable it can change that easy. So it's from the utmost importance to not learn in this phase of life that violence would be "okay" or even "cool". It will become kind of an habit in adulthood and it probably will turn out to be irreversible.

• Ngjnrbufhbbvh jbbxkjfj jjj

Ngjh jnkijnrjfnrjk fnkdjhrrl fkdjndru jkrtktjknti jgfnj jrtkhlkv g kjgrlmb btrlkjltj jvnielknvrlkjfmvtrd jredf rg fg r td ghb fjrrk tjrhutrgnklrjt trfrngklj4hlg turkjler.Trhrkj jnrtghghlhckjbrvj jhebvbvhebvker cefjkwbckjewb jlcebjwkjbkjle ekjdmwcbkjed kljwebkj dcjkwblkjcbe jecwbhvjblelvujrwklhe kljhfvwkljevlukjwegwkjfhkjvfwhm wjekh nceffbs rwhbe rrwevkjewjb vevhj evhrvejbv evbhrbv vhjkwee vnkwbv rg nm bvjhtr b dshfnmktdfng bhydb th d gnyfrt ubjgh m nmj

• I believe so

I cannot get behind games that desensitize young children to violence. Adults and teens have games rated for them. This is why ratings exist. At this point, it's all about parents being aware. Unless someone wants to make it illegal, there is nothing to be done about it. Parental awareness is key. Let your children grow and mature into the older games.

• Because there cool

I mean srsly, there really fun and it's educational and really fun and cool and fun and cool and fun and... Wait a minute, didn't I already say those two words already? Well there fun and cool and educational, kinda. A lot of kids like games like that i don't exactly know why.

• Video Games are Useful.

However violent video games keep the kids into something. Their time should LIMITED not gotten rid of with the games. Without the games kids could be overstudying or possibly out on the streets doing who knows what. Kids should be kept off the streets with games and if it becomes any worse then just limit their time.

• Video Games are Useful.

• Because i said so

Hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hihihihi hihi hi hihihihihihi hihi v hihi hihihihihihihi hi hihihihihi hi hihihivhivv vhihi hihihihi V Vhi hi
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d
    d

• The problem is not video games...

Studies have shown that 3rd person video games increase children's spacial awareness. However, to anyone who quotes school shootings, some hard evidence. Statistically, as sales of violent video games has gone up, violence rates have gone down. And the kids involved in school shootings have always turned out to have had some sort of mental health problems afterwards, but every time people blame games for some reason.

• It should be left to the parents

Sure, if a child's parents say it's fine, then that child should not be barred from these activities. However, violent video games are EXPLICITLY rated "M" for mature. Parents should SEE that games are not meant for children and make that decision themselves for their own children. Parent's judgements should be trusted, since every child is different and will respond to media in very different ways.

• Banned? No. Restricted? Probably.

As of when I am writing there have been no conclusive scientific studies by sources that I would trust to prove any form of relationship between video games and violence.
    This does not mean that I think we should just sell these games to anybody. The ratings are in many cases pretty arbitrary, and I usually disregard them. On the other hand, it has been determined by the American Psychological Association, as of a report that came out August 15, 2015, that video games can be linked to increased levels of aggression, though whether that can go as far as criminal violence, I cannot say.
    Personally, dislike any form of censorship, and think that children should be allowed to play M rated games on one condition. That such an action has been sanctioned by the PARENTS. If the parents are willing to take upon themselves the risk, then I would be fine with it. I think the biggest problem is that it's so easy to get a hold of these types of games.
    Restrict the purchase of these games, but still allow people to acquire a copy, if the parent/s or guardian/s allow it.
    As for AO (Adult Only) I am firmly against allowing children to play those. AO exists for a reason, and that is so games that are very extreme can exist. Children should NOT be exposed to any game that is rated AO. Tune your game down, and make it M, fine. AO is out though.

http://videogames.Procon.Org/
    http://www.Pbs.Org/wgbh/nova/next/body/what-science-knows-about-video-games-and-violence/
    http://www.Apa.Org/news/press/releases/2015/08/violent-video-games.Aspx
    http://www.Apa.Org/news/press/releases/2015/08/technical-violent-games.Pdf

• You cannot state weather something is right or wrong.

Since we view our selves as mature enough individuals then we should all agree that it all comes-and should come- to only the parents of the child. They are responsible for teaching their child to understand and know how to tell the difference between virtual reality and reality. That's a skill we all need to have above 6 years old so that we can develop critical thinking. By banding violent or sexual games to be played by young kids (6-12), what we really do is making them more curious about what these games are all about. Personally, I support that we should all come familiar with violence and sex in a young age so that we have global consciousness and we start thinking of how we can get protected - avoid violent situations and when is the appropriate age to have a sexual life.