Should violent video games be illegal for anyone under age 17?

• Yes I think so!

I highly believe that violent video games should not be given or bought for children under 17. Not all children are mature enough to understand that it's pretend. For instance if a 10 yr old kid gets a hold of a violent game he might think it's ok to act out violently for the wrong reasons. Not that you should ever act out violently for any reason, but let's say if a kid is for some reason annoying or upsetting them and instead of them going to an adult they decide to act violent instead.

• Yeas they should tots bann it

This is because many young kids are playing violent video games nowadays. This is leading to more violence in the child behavior. Video game retailors should not be allowed to sell video games rated m or r to kids even if a parent is with them. Childs brain are not ready for this kind of maturity

• I think they should because it will get the kids off our back

Jvjfdj huerqhgiuherighiregidf f rg g fd afd g g afg a rg gr r g fa af g r ga ga ag agds asdg dgs dsg dgsa gdsa gsad gds gdsa dg gd ags sg sag asg rq g qer er g erg e rg er gre g a fg

• Dead Beat Parenting

It should be ILLEGAL . X rated pornography has an age 18 rating, would you by an X rated pornographic magazine & then hand it to your eight year old child? That is exactly what YOU are doing when you purchase Adult video games, like GTA 4 and GTA 5! Parents should be held accountable for their actions. Charges like distributing pornographic images to children, should be pressed against parents by the State & OCY! ESRB states that video games are constitutionally protected, yet fails to realise that not ALL free speech is constitutionally protected. Swearing is against the law, you can get Disorderly Conduct for swearing. Swearing IS NOT a form of FREE SPEECH in the USA. Furthermore , the ESRB should be implemented into and coordinate with Federal, State & even local guidelines, rules and laws. ESRB should be written into the law by law makers. In y opinion: Mature Rated games ARE NOT for Children.

• Dead Beat Parenting

• Why rate it when it does not matter?

Movies do it why is video games any different??? Just because its animated doesn't make it any less violent! God some people don't rate things if it doesn't matter that's rediculous kids should not be exposed to this type of stuff end of story little kids end up thinking its okay to behave like they do in games some parents just arn't responsible enough to monitor what their child plays plus why would you want your child to play these games anyways not any good parents.

• ... . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ... . . . . . . .. . .. . . . . . . . .

• Of course not leave them something

Seriously you already take away so many of their freedom their more like pets then actual humans now you want to take away their good entertainment? Jeez why not just ban everything for people or should i say pets under 18 they don't get to wear different clothes they don't get to eat anything but standard issue food they go to school do their work come back study study do homework then sleep repeat is THAT the world people want now? Well they would certainly be SAFE wouldn't they?

• Violence has many definitions.

How is violent defined in this case? Is any sort of shooting violent? If so, that takes away a lot of video game stuff already. The NES game duck hunt involves you shooting ducks as long as you can (or until you get screwed at level 100). Anyway, there is no real way to prevent violent video games. My friend who is 14 is planning on getting halo 5 preordered for the DLC stuff. Anyone who knows halo should know that its rated M. Video games are easily buyable from stores or flea markets or even the black market. In fact, games can also be gotten for free through the use of an emulator. Even grand theft auto can be found in both app stores, a title obviously M rated. There is nothing the law can do because there are many loopholes. Its possible to get games for free through hacked app stores (aptoide, ifunbox, free store) which means there is no way to protect everyone, so there is no point in trying.

• That's what parents are for.

You know, it's not like there are people out there who, you know, REGULATE WHAT THEIR CHILDREN GET. Placing a blanket ban is almost always going to be controversial, and for good reason. Parents (should) know the maturity of their children and should be able to decide if certain games are suitable.

• It shouldn't be illegal!

I do think they should be restricted to minors unless the parent s there because it is up to the parent. If the parent thinks it is fine for their kid to play games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty, that is their choice. Also, a law like this would be nearly impossible to enforce.

• Making M-rated games illegal to kids under 17 is not fair judgment.

We've all played them. Now games like Postal and games absurd like those should be banned. You see, there's a line between being mature and being over 17. Since most of the people playing CoD and Halo and all the others are under 17. And games I've mentioned early on are those of which should be kept away from kids. I'm a young gamer myself and I know what's right for me and whats wrong. I sure that some(not all) of the people that say yes have not even played these games....

• They don't cause violence in children.

When kids buy M games almost every store you'll go to will ask for a parent to say it's okay. Another accusation is video games cause violence. Well there is no evidence to that. Video games are relatively new, when comics, movies, and television came out they were blamed for a lot of the problems those generations had. Now comic books and television are just part of everday life and some people still don't understand video games and that they don't cause violence.

• Of course not.

Actually, violent video games make, firstly, connection between everyone easier. Yeah, while tons of youngsters aren't very polite (and tollerable, for someone), there are of course a lot of other, less annoying ones. You may say that "make violence less terrible and blah blah blah" but without even SEEING violence (on a screen) what would they do if someone goes crazy and attacks everyone on sight? Faint? Ask mum to protect them? Also, it was demonstrated that reaction upon violence is reduced only IF SAID VIOLENCE IS ON A SCREEN. There is even a minor reason for not banning them: ECONOMY. Just look at COD, Battlefield and the others.

• I've been playing violent video games since I was 10

I believe that it should be the parents choice. If the parent thinks that their child is mature enough to handle the game and make the differentiation between reality and the video game, then they should be able to play it. The adult/parent has to carry a responsibility with letting their child lay the game however. You must teach your child that cursing is not allowed along with violence and mature content. I don't believe that children should be given the game and allowed to play it without adult teaching of morals and the rights and wrongs. If you are a responsible parent who has a mature child who wants to play it, as long as you teach them the right from wrongs and that there is a difference between the game and reality, then it is ok.

• Nopers, I always thought it was dumb

I don't understand why they do that because anyone can play it either way, there will always be a chance someone under-aged gets it and also everyone knows of violence, its their choice. When you think about it, anyone can really easily get a hold of this kind of stuff, I think that that rule should be disproved and just taken down, rate it but don't force them to be a certain age