• Because they are awesome and they should be treated equally.

Washington DC should have the right because they have known us forever and they are the our capital! Don't you think they should be connected to the U.S.? That is my final argument and I am goingt to write random words so I can submit this form. So yah........Thank you?

• Every human should be represented

It simply lacks any sort of meat in the argument that DC should not be a state and should not be properly represented. For christ's sake there are more people in this district than that of Wyoming. It simply defies logic that these people can live their lives without having a say in any federal legislation.

• Washington D.C. Should Become a State.

People who live in Washington D.C. Can't vote for president. Our country was founded with the idea of, "No taxation without representation." If Washington D.C. Is denied their right to vote for president, then D.C. Should at least have a governor. However, I also that they could be part of Virginia. I mean, Hamilton's financial plan allowed Washington D.C. To be part of Virginia. Why should it not be in the state of Virginia?

• It should be a state

Although D.C is part of Virginia it should have a rite like every other state i mean they have don it before in 1987 well why not do it again and the state capitol is there so it would have more security if then our president would be more protected

• YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF its good for them its good for me.

It is not fair that they do not get all the rights that we do. Plus 80% of the people that live there want it to become a state. The only problem is that we would have to change ALL the flags in AMERICA. But i still think it should become a state. Its only fair!

• YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It should !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today more then 675,000 people call D.C a home more then live in Wyomining or Vermont plus 80%of the people that live there voted that they want it to become a state and also its not fair that they don't get the rights that we do :) :) :) :)

• Give us Equal rights!

We are Washingtonians united for Statehood. We are the same people as those in Texas or California or Utah. This is a human rights issue and also the Capital of the United States would shrink to a small federally controlled area in the middle of the city. If you read the proposed Washington DC state constitution you would know.

• No it should not be a state

Because its way to small and it will cause more money and nobody wants to lose money well its true trust me Washington dc is already state and how come Miami cant be a state it isn't fair too other states so read this and suggest your argument and say no

• Absolutely not.

No, Washington D.C. should not become a state. What benefits would there be in doing so? D.C is part of Virginia and Maryland, and their citizens can get representation through those states. There is absolutely no need to add them as a state. A question here would also be, what would they be called? We already have a Washington, so that is out of the question, and if they were no longer considered a district then "District of Columbia" wouldn't make much sense either. Also, the reason for the its foundation initially was to avoid having the Capital in one of the states in the first place. Also, there's the whole fact about having to change the flag..

Posted by: Misa
  • No, Washington D.C. Should Remain a District

Washington D.C. should remain a district and not become a state for the reason that the positives do not outweigh the negatives.
    What I mean by this is such: I can think of no benefits of Washington D.C. becoming a state and it would be a logistic nightmare to bring on two more senators, a governor, and more congresspeople. This is of course not to say that we cannot ever bring another state into this fine union, but merely that Washington D.C. functions well as it currently is --well, excluding congress of course.

• Give DC back to Maryland

The Federal Govt needs to designate what they consider the District (much like other federal lands) and stay within those lands. The rest needs to be given back the Maryland and could be called Washington, MD. Gives the residents of Washington representation and even better self rule. While I do note the citizens of DC don't have all the venues of other citizens, they choose to live in DC. It has existed in this form from creation.

• No, but give them representation in congress.

No need to make them a state, but they should be allocated at least one House of representative member. A special resolution can be made to give them voting representation in congress and yet not make them an official state - with a governor, state taxes, etc. This would be a good compromise.

• No

DC is property of the federal government. The land that is now Washington DC was given by Maryland to the federal government to create the capitol city. Washington DC also consumes an extreme amount of federal funds, making it a state and then having the feds fund it like it does simply because the state holds the capitol wouldn't be very fair to the other states. The only way I think DC should ever become a "state" would be to give it back to Maryland. The feds actually tried this and Maryland declined because DC would cost too much in state funds. I think it's best that DC remain a federal district and not a state.

Posted by: amey

• Washinton DC was designed to be autonomous

Washington DC was set up to be an independent entity from the states. It's the seat of power for the government. However, in a city of over 5 million people, it's unfair that they only have a non-voting representative in congress. I live in a state of 1 million people and we are represented. Why shouldn't the DIstrict of Columbia not also get a vote in the federal government?

• DC shouldn't be a state

DC has less then 700,000 people and it's population consists of AFL-CIO and crony-capitalist hired lobbyists that are bankrupting America as well as overpaid federal employees. New York City is our largest city with 8 million people plus Wall Street while Houston is our fourth largest city with a very productive oil industry-should they become states as well and get their own Senators? DC cannot be granted statehood, it would only make this country worse.
    Instead of statehood, I propose all of DC save the National Mall be given back to Maryland. This would give DC residents voting rights without giving them unwarranted influence in politics.

• It would defeat the purpose of the capital

The whole reason Washington was created was so that no state would get special privileges over another state. Also, the capital used to be in Philadelphia , when war vets came to congress asking to be paid, the legislature said "we don't have the money right now," This caused riots and anger which led congress to flee to New Jersey because Pennsylvania agreed with the vets and refused to protect Congress. After this incident Congress decided not to trust anyone else with their safety and created their own district under their own control. Another reason that the district was created was so that the state holding the capital wouldn't be over represented in congress. These are the strongest reasons although money does come into play. One historian explained to me that the founders didn't intend to leave people under represented, they believed that every member of congress would take care of the district like they would take care of their own state, therefore they would have more representation than anyone else. No it hasn't really worked like that but that doesn't mean we can't try to get it to work like that. However , to compromise, I would agree with allowing the district to not pay federal taxes to make up for not having a representative, which I would take over my congressman anyway.

• Can not be a state!

The whole reasons of why the District Of Columbia isn't part of a state is because that state with DC in it would have to much power... And the Founding Fathers wanted states sovereignty so they could have equal influence in the united states government not one state having more power then others because it has the capital within it.