Opinion Question
Argument
Posted by: ellytori6

I've actually thought about the idea before the movie.

I've toyed with this idea before, and to be quite honest, I kind of like it. You take the entire population, and have them to anything illegal that they want free of consequence once per year. It would sure give me a good excuse to see if my '01 Malibu can actually hit over 120. -"But it would increase crime!" For one thing, you can't have crime if there are no laws. Secondly, even if it does, how much will it? When the Netherlands legalized Marijuana, it's use remained stable even though the threat of imprisonment is gone. Lastly, I would assert that the reason why many people don't do the violent crimes (like rape and murder, if not most non-violent crimes as well), is because they don't see it as morally just (cue religious dogma), and therefore no amount of lawlessness will make them commit those crimes, therefore crimes won't significantly increase.
TheInterlang says2013-11-30T04:02:28.760
Go build a machine to reanimate Hitler. (I assume you are referring to the killing of "unfit" people.)
SirClare says2014-07-13T05:00:14.517
I think people understand that there are those who would not commit crime simply for the morality of it; however, that does not mean crime would not increase. Think about this: what prevents a criminal from committing crimes constantly? The risk of being caught. What happens if you then remove that risk for 12 hours? Well, instead of only being able to rob one bank or murder only one person, they can now rob and murder as much as humanly possible in 12 hours, because they do not have to worry about being caught.
specialrend777 says2014-07-16T09:25:13.777
There are so many obvious holes in your argument I could build a road through it, but I'll point them out if you can't already tell.

"can't have crime if there are no laws". Call it whatever you want, you're just playing with words, its still immoral to commit the acts that would otherwise be illegal. Secondly, you are comparing marijuana on a small scale compared to mass murder on a global scale, not even close to the same thing. Finally, you don't need to be religious to know something is wrong. Have you seriously never met an atheist who thought murder was wrong? Religion has nothing to do with it, anyone can see something is immoral regardless of what their god says. Take me for example, I don't believe in god, but I obviously believe murder is horrible. Most people don't commit crimes because they naturally believe it is wrong, or if they do, it is because they are afraid of being caught.

I would seriously consider providing some real defense, because the one you attempted to provide is hilariously flawed to any reasonable person.
Publicaccount says2014-07-30T00:13:40.443
Are you saying that rape and murder are moral?
braidenk1 says2014-08-05T07:22:32.140
The deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation. Thats what the purge is genocide
anticloud says2015-01-23T15:48:06.997
This would be a good idea, assuming people wouldn't commit murder or rape due to them not being morally just. However, there have been studies done that show that many people would commit these crimes if they could get away with it. Assuming these studies are true and unbiased, I do not agree with this idea. Otherwise, I think the idea could be very beneficial for a country.
manofthematch says2015-07-19T01:37:34.760
Don't you understand what a purge will do?
manofthematch says2015-07-20T03:47:24.817
A purge will have men and women kill people on the streets, and some of them could be your family. The economy would go down like hell, and basically there wouldn't be a peaceful world for anyone.
hersheycello says2015-12-07T00:16:33.690
What is this? This is the worst idea I've ever heard
MarA.jo says2016-07-17T01:36:56.653
Look, America isn't the Netherlands. You're argument only puts into retrospect like only 2% of the overall population so..... There's no telling what the rest will do. And most likely they'll be prone to violence. I want to be able to walk to dunkin' donuts and get a much needed coffee without being pumped full of lead.
LKasian says2017-02-08T14:27:56.023
This logic is so flawed that it hurts. Your basis for statistical unemployment is based off of the hypothetical assumption of a Hollywood movie. If you still are to claim rape, murder, etc. is bad, then what possibly is the point in legalizing it? - I'll answer, to provide immoral monsters another outlet in performing the action. This country (USA specifically) is a nation of law not want. Unemployment would not decrease, and the only ones who would benefit are those who didn't (or did) want to break the law any other day, but now can. I find you would think this is a good idea until your car is stolen, mother killed, and you're left beaten in an alley- but hey, too bad.
LKasian says2017-02-08T14:28:23.603