Should we allow for the donation of vital organs at the expense of the donor's life?

• Yes. It is up to the donor to decide.

What we are talking about is self-euthanasia for a cause. Patients have the right to consent or decline all aspects of the care that they receive, including end of life decisions. I believe that this decision should operate as a DNR does, where it has to be signed by the subject when they are in good mental health and counter signed by a doctor. If that is what the person wishes, why not allow?

• Yes, I think we should allow the donation of vital organs at the expense of the donor's life.

I think in cases where the donor is completely in a sound mind and is willing to give his or her life to donate their organs to someone else at the cost of their life of doing so then it should be allowed, I don't believe the Government has the right to tell someone that doing that is wrong.

• We should not allow the donation of vital organs at the expense of the donor's life

It is my opinion that if the donor still has control of his or her mental faculties, or has an express will not to be taken off of life support, then the donation of his or her vital organs should not be allowed at the expense of his or life.

• No, unless the donor is brain dead.

Of course the life of the donor has to be primary in this kind of decision. However, if a person who has said he or she wants to be a donor is for all intents and purposes already dead, then we should not keep them alive but should harvest the organs.

• First do no harm.

No, we should not allow for the donation of vital organs at the expense of the donor's life, because that would be inhumane and it would be tantamount to murder. It would be against the principals of humanity for humans to choose for others to die in favor of the so-called greater good.