Should we ban the Confederate flag at public schools?

Asked by: bettabreeder
  • It's just a reminder of hate.

I understand the "it's my heritage!" Argument but the fact is the flag is offensive. It is to me, a racist flag. Children should learn about it but no, I don't really think the KKK's flag should be advertised at schools. I consider it a racist flag and want nothing to do with it.

• The Confederate Flag = Slavery

This piece of toilet paper should absolutely be banned. The confederate states rebelled against the federal government, killed, raped, and tortured, so they could keep the "right" to enslave non-whites.

Its disgusting, and I don't care if kids in the south had ancestors who fought and died in the war. Their ancestors should remain buried and forgotten, not paraded around like they were worth more then dirt.

• There is really no reason to display the confederate flag at public schools.

Most schools display an American flag and a state flag. Beyond that, there is really no reason to display other flags. To do so, could be interpreted as attempting to influence students' political or religious views. In the public school sector, this is wrong. Only privately funded institutions should have the option to display paraphernalia indicative of the views of those organizations that fund them.

• Symbol of War

This flag is a metonymy that symbolizes the combative and pugnacious spirit of the Confederate States of America. By expressing this controversial banner in public one resurrects the ancient and long-forgotten horrors of the civil war. I do not condemn the south for their actions, although I am morally and economically opposed to the institution of slavery. The southern confederation lost the war, and therefore should not be allowed to embellish clothing or any visible objects to the public that revitalizes this period in United States history. The civil war and enslavement of blacks should be removed from the contemporary mindset of humanity. Not forgotten, as we would be doomed to repeat it, but instead store it in the archives of world history. The flag should be placed alongside the positive and detrimental aspects of human history as nothing more than a period of time that need not be brought back into the public spotlight.

• No, we should not ban the confederate flag.

Because how else are we supposed to spot dumb people otherwise? Sure, no war is ever so simple that it can simply be reduced to 'these guys are bad' and I'm sure even the confederates had a lot of good willed people fighting that war.

But you know, lets not forget everything that this flag represents. They didn't want to get rid of their slaves, and every time that flag rears it's ugly head that's exactly what everyone but the southerners are going to see. To flat out ignore history in exchange of being proud of where you were born (the most unimportant, and illogical thing to be proud of in the entire history of the world. So what? You were born in the south. You had to be born somewhere.) is simply ridiculous.

Derp Derp. Liberal media. Derp Derp. Socialism.

No, that's not why the flag has a bad reputation, stop trying to put the blame on other people and hold the south accountable. It's because the confederates were defending a reprehensible act and their opponents, for ill or good, (Though trust me, I'm doubtful Lincoln had the right intentions either) simply weren't. And while I probably can't imagine all the nations that still had slavery at this time, making the confederates not all that bad in comparison, the fact that they were in a civil war with a nation that was opposing them on this matter creates a juxtaposition that makes them look worse.

'I believe that the confederate flag resembles heritage and freedom of the states'

I'll never understand why according to some people states deserve more rights than actual people. You mean the states right to treat people like dirt over their skin color, their sexuality? Because that's quite the literal opposite of the kind of freedom anyone actually wants.

'On the other had in the South they kept slavery because they needed it for the plantations.'

And now you're walking an extremely thin line. Oh, those poor, poor rich white slave owners. Clearly I need to be sympathetic towards them because *sob* they needed slaves for their plantations. Inadvertently, your quote is quite insightful though because in truth, I guess we never actually got rid of slavery. The only difference is that instead of having rich white people making money off of black slaves in the south we have rich white people making money off of slaves in Africa and Asia.

'I love America, but this ignorant rabble about the Confederates is mostly lies made by America after the war. '

You mean like that part about slavery?

• America did worse and Heritage

AgnosticGirl, You are wrong.
    HPWKA, American soldiers raped, killed and tortured just as much, probably even more than the Confederates did.

The Confederate flag never had anything to do with the Klan. First, the KKK was not founded in the Confederate States of America, which disappeared in April 1865. The Klan was founded on Dec. 24, 1865, in the United States of America. Granted, in a southern state, but the Confederacy was dead before hand. I have several sources backing this up.

Also, not one slave was ever brought into this country under the Confederate flag. After we won our independence, all slaves brought into this country came here under the Stars and Stripes. Not to mention the CSA only had four years of slavery, how many did the USA have? Hundreds.

I have also read that American Slavery had offically ended in the early 1900's. However, their isn't much facts to back this up, it should still be taken in hand. I would also like to make a disclamer that I am an American, I love America, but this ignorant rabble about the Confederates is mostly lies made by America after the war. Y'know the saying "The victor writes history."

Exactly.

• America was worse than the CSA

AgnosticGirl is igonorant and her/her comment should not be taken in conideration. The Confederate flag never had anything to do with the Klan. First, the KKK was not founded in the Confederate States of America, which disappeared in April 1865. The Klan was founded on Dec. 24, 1865, in the United States of America. Granted, in a southern state, but the Confederacy was dead before hand. I have several sources backing this up.

Exactly.

• Heritage Not Hate

I believe that the confederate flag resembles heritage and freedom of the states. Like I wear the flag to school some days. And some kids might have grandfathers that died at battle. This flag is no way racist either. The North abolish slavery because they didn't need slavery because of the industry they had. On the other had in the South they kept slavery because they needed it for the plantations. They left from the union because the planters where being tax to much. Also linlcon abolished slavery in the south to ruin the economy and win the war but kept the slaves in the borders until the 13 amendment.

• Guys. Please. Get. Out. Of. The. Past.

The civil war is over, people. I get that this might be a reminder of hate, but we can't just hide from the past. Doesn't that break some law? Doesn't it sound too much like something a tyrant King would do? Again, it should be a resource, not like worshipped or whatever.

• The Confederate flags or Battle flags that this discussion is about is due to people who don't take the time to read their history

If you don't understand the reason for the flags, and all you want to do is take it down due to a misunderstanding you have developed through false statements, and you refuse to look at the history and cause of the Civil War . This is wrong. The Civil War was an American Holocaust in which 620,0000 people died. The Civil war was not about slavery. These men both North and South were not fighting for slaves rights, they were fighting for their state, and most in the South didn't want the Federal Government telling them how to live. Now trying to remove the Confederate Flag will divide this Nation even further as far as black and whites on the issues of race. Slavery has been over since the Civil War, and there is no Slavery in America. There is Social and Political Equality in America and taking down Confederate Flags will not change that, only a Nation that loves his fellow brother, no matter what his or her color is. We have a lot of problems in America, and we need to focus on fixing them, It,s not about you or me its about what we can do to fix Americas problems. Get Americans back to work, start building things here, create jobs, pay off our dept , and most of all give thanks to God for giving us the Freedom that we have .

• This would violate our first amendment.

Many people are quick to claim racism or negative connotations, though we need to keep it as a reminder of American history. People from countries all around the world have committed atrocities in the form of terrorism many times in recent history, but their flag isn't banned. If we ban the Confederate flag, we better ban every flag that has done anything negative to the USA.