Should we bring back National Service for everyone?

Asked by: DavidKaizer
  • Bring it back

Pretty soon young people aren't going to be able to fend for themselves at all, and will be looked back on by future generations who have it harder (thanks to our current laziness) as weak. I'm speaking as a 15 year old, and although I don't think national servicemen should be made to fight unless absolutely necessary, I would be more than happy to take part in some form of military service. It would also give young people a buffer between the cocoon of education and the real world while preparing them for it- they'd consider life after national service easier, not harder.

• Did our grandparents no harm and they turned out respectful people

Youth of today all they think about is themself's growing up lazy because all they think about is there playstation and money for points and sweets but not expecting to lift a finger to earn it, and as a kid we was set chores to earn rewards if we gobbed off we was punished. Today you can't tell ya kids off as we was cause it's now frowned upon as child abuse but bringing back national service and giving them the discipline that's deserved of youth today would make them more respectable and responsible as an adult and let's think how many our leaving school skip going on in education because they was booted out of school for bad behaviour and then not having a job because they're too lazy to get one national service would sort that out as it would teach them skills and educate them for the better good than wasting they're life's infront of a game console becoming brain dead monkeys.

• Bring it back

Bring back national service 18 year olds are considered to be children in Britain today! In the 50s we were doing National Service at that age. The teenagers of today seem so immature and irresponsible, two years N.S. Would do them a world of good and strengthen our armed services which are dangerously overstretched.

• Bring it back

• Bring it back

• Bring it back

• Bring back national service

18 year olds are considered to be children in Britain today! In the 50s we were doing National Service at that age. The teenagers of today seem so immature and irresponsible, two years N.S. Would do them a world of good and strengthen our armed services which are dangerously overstretched.

• Bring back national service

• Bring back national service

• Bring back national service

Its a joke the youth of today wearing hoodies talking like gangsters..Gang culture..No respect..Now come on..Get national service back forget pc brigade forget do gooders..The countrys going down the pan..No values ..No morals..Clueless regarding education...Just watch big brother..Love island..Take drugs...Im generalising...But you know Im right and all the leftwing lobbyists...Who want more and more disrespectful people in our country should move to their countries ie Syria/yemen/afghanistan...Britain has become laughing stock of the world...!!!

• Not For Everyone.

To bring back the national service for everyone would have too many complications and would be unfair for those who have contributed to the country.

I do however agree with some level of National Service for those who have been imprisoned multiple times for violent offences, as this could invigorate a greater sense of discipline into them and give them reference for the future.

• No to conscription

This keeps coming up, sounds a popular statement but my opinion is why should the Forces have the Dick heads who are in the main wasters. My son is going into the Army this September why because he wants to and to serve his country not that he has to but he wants to. So my ans is NO to bring back National service

• Definitely not ever

Why and for what purpose? The argument that it disciplines youth doesn't stack up, what about the 95% of young people who arent yobs? Do we force them into the army? In any case, the only reason it was kept on in the 50s was that it was a cheap way of policing the last remnants of the empire. You would upset peoples lives and career choices as well as compelling people who have no desire to do military service into something against their will, I would be useless in the army, so would millions of others. Its not as if national survival is at stake, so why?

• Some people might have careers and families

Most people are going to universities and then starting careers they dream of. It could destroy not only their jobs but also private life ie planning a family or being in a relationship. It's a good idea for young boys who don't know what to do after finishing their education.

• An absolute no

Absolutely not. How can you take the choice away from people after giving me it back to them somewhat 50 years ago, forcing a path for people in their own lives is wrong on so many levels. I wouldn't want to send my child off to fight against their will this is immoral.

• We all contribute

I am a soldier, but I was born a farmer. The average acre of corn feed between 112-130 people, based on recommended nutritional values. I had a strong calling to enlist long before I was of age, and as soon as I turned 17, I was in. However, just because i'm willing to fight and die for the good ol' USA, doesn't mean others want to, or should have to. We need young new farmers to feed the world, businessmen to innovate, doctors and scientists to research disease curing medicines, and the list goes on.

To force people to join the army would be a stupid waste of potential. While my time in the US Army so far has changed my life beyond explanation, it's not for everyone.

• An absolutely definite NO!

Not in today's world anyway, as too many people would either refuse to fight, or altogether, refuse to join the armed forces - I myself included.
    Why should I fight for a cause which I'm against?

Also, the Dad's Army picture doesn't make sense, as they were volunteers, not conscripts.