Should we bring back National Service for everyone?

Asked by: DavidKaizer
  • Bring back national service

18 year olds are considered to be children in Britain today! In the 50s we were doing National Service at that age. The teenagers of today seem so immature and irresponsible, two years N.S. Would do them a world of good and strengthen our armed services which are dangerously overstretched.

• Bring back national service

• Bring back national service

• Bring back national service

Its a joke the youth of today wearing hoodies talking like gangsters..Gang culture..No respect..Now come on..Get national service back forget pc brigade forget do gooders..The countrys going down the pan..No values ..No morals..Clueless regarding education...Just watch big brother..Love island..Take drugs...Im generalising...But you know Im right and all the leftwing lobbyists...Who want more and more disrespectful people in our country should move to their countries ie Syria/yemen/afghanistan...Britain has become laughing stock of the world...!!!

• Absolutely it would bring more good I the long run

Think about the problems with our younger generation now, not all but a majority, drugs, alcohol abuse, violence, the list goes on, I believe it would get a lot of young people of the streets and possibly out of jail, alot of great people have become successful from spending time in the armed forces, it would create much more life skills and a chance for a lot of men and women in the commonwealth to experience and understand the true meaning of mateship, honour, and duty to their nation once again.

• Yes but only for the young repeat offenders and those that can work but wont work

As my supporting headline suggests, its not fair to give it to all the majority of people out there are good honest working people however as always the bad always outshines the good in the media etc. I personally think and have thought for years that this is the only way we can discipline those young criminals that have no respect for others. I think its a sad world where elderly people even young adults are scared too go out at night or avoid certain areas to avoid intimidating behaviour from young people who are old enough to be their children, grandchildren etc. Sad times :(

• Definitely Correct Decision

2 years minimum, would teach respect, basic survival skills, and broaden young peoples' horizons. Also, it would create more jobs, both in the armed forces and in the private sector to support the increase. Would also stoke some national pride back into everyday life. I would certainly love to do it, and the effects of bringing it back would be positive all round

• Yes of course

It will teach respect and discipline and give confidence.
    Get people active and healthy
    Learn to protect not just queen and country but family and free will. As a 28 year old I feel I can learn a lot from it and be a better person. It's not to show the world we're better then them but to be a voice and help those in need

• ...... . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . .. . . . . . ... . . . . . . . . . .

• Not For Everyone.

To bring back the national service for everyone would have too many complications and would be unfair for those who have contributed to the country.

I do however agree with some level of National Service for those who have been imprisoned multiple times for violent offences, as this could invigorate a greater sense of discipline into them and give them reference for the future.

• No to conscription

This keeps coming up, sounds a popular statement but my opinion is why should the Forces have the Dick heads who are in the main wasters. My son is going into the Army this September why because he wants to and to serve his country not that he has to but he wants to. So my ans is NO to bring back National service

• Definitely not ever

Why and for what purpose? The argument that it disciplines youth doesn't stack up, what about the 95% of young people who arent yobs? Do we force them into the army? In any case, the only reason it was kept on in the 50s was that it was a cheap way of policing the last remnants of the empire. You would upset peoples lives and career choices as well as compelling people who have no desire to do military service into something against their will, I would be useless in the army, so would millions of others. Its not as if national survival is at stake, so why?

• Some people might have careers and families

Most people are going to universities and then starting careers they dream of. It could destroy not only their jobs but also private life ie planning a family or being in a relationship. It's a good idea for young boys who don't know what to do after finishing their education.

• An absolute no

Absolutely not. How can you take the choice away from people after giving me it back to them somewhat 50 years ago, forcing a path for people in their own lives is wrong on so many levels. I wouldn't want to send my child off to fight against their will this is immoral.

• We all contribute

I am a soldier, but I was born a farmer. The average acre of corn feed between 112-130 people, based on recommended nutritional values. I had a strong calling to enlist long before I was of age, and as soon as I turned 17, I was in. However, just because i'm willing to fight and die for the good ol' USA, doesn't mean others want to, or should have to. We need young new farmers to feed the world, businessmen to innovate, doctors and scientists to research disease curing medicines, and the list goes on.

To force people to join the army would be a stupid waste of potential. While my time in the US Army so far has changed my life beyond explanation, it's not for everyone.

• An absolutely definite NO!

Not in today's world anyway, as too many people would either refuse to fight, or altogether, refuse to join the armed forces - I myself included.
    Why should I fight for a cause which I'm against?

Also, the Dad's Army picture doesn't make sense, as they were volunteers, not conscripts.