• What the heck!!!!!

Yes we should keep black history month because it is the only time when black people really get to learn their history, and if they take it away it would just be like it was back then and there would be even more racism.

P.S i am in fifth grade. I am mexican. I am 10 yers old and that is my opinion.

• R u Kidding me

The reason its black history month is because we had to struggle with segregation and being beaten just because of our skin color. What kind of sense does that make. With all due respect but white people don't deserve their own month; I mean what did y'all do to deserve it? Beat the heck out of back people? All I'm saying is we have a month for a reason.This is a month that allowed African American people to at least feel good about them selves. I cant believe that there is 62% that don't want it and only 38% that do. Its just very sad and disturbing. Its very important to have this month for part, present, and future references

• Black History Month? Absolutely!

Without these 28 days devoted to learning about African Americans' contributions, sacrifices and accomplishments, all Americans won't know a large part of American history built on the backs of one of the most undervalued groups of people in the world. Knowing African-American history is knowing American history! It's a shame there is still a need to carve out a month to recognize what blacks have contributed to this country, but no one would know our story without a dedicated period of discovery. Heightened awareness makes us ALL (black, white, brown, yellow, red) more enlightened and who doesn't want to be more enlightened? Knowing what blacks have done for this country would do wonders in eliminating the ignorance of racism.

• I Absolutely believe Black History Month should stay

The United States is built because of the hard work of slaves. Not to say that the other races did not contribute but if we're being honest it was blacks who were forced to work in the fields that provides the wealth of the united states and without that wealth the U.S would not be the great nation it is today. My question is if people are so considered with whether Black History Month should be continued why not create a month were your culture is celebrates the contribute that made in the U.S? Or is there not enough to celebrate kidnapping and forcing labor for 400 years but surely we there is a way to celebrate taking land from the natives that originally rules this land. To be totally honest American is built of the strength of other countries and immigrants.

• Of Course We Do.

At my son's school his class didn't do a single thing all month and then when the next month came they put up a poster of famous black people, that's it. Black people had to work for everything they have today, white people "discovered" America which had already been inhabited by native Americans.

• More Black Recognition

There are so many things throughout the year the recognize things that the whites have done. Think about Thanksgiving for example. That day, while it may be filed with great food, family reunions, and wonderful laughter, that day is still remembered to some as the day the Pilgrims slaughtered the Indians. Christmas celebrates a man who most believe is white, dying for our supposed sins. There are many other things centered around the white community, so why can't the black community have a thing of their own? White cops, kill black people and rarely receive prosecution. Whites are running most of our legal affairs, our empires, managing our money, they're doing all these things, have all the things for them, so why should we give up the one thing that is truly ours? The one thing that actually helps ease our insecurities about being an African-American?

• Yes we should!

I think that we should have black history month because a lot of white people think why don't we have white history month? That's because white people started this state, but black people didn't so, basically we celebrate black history month because they made a change for racism. Yeah sure people don't think we should celebrate black history month, but black people helped create this state.

• What the heck!!!!!

• Black history month gives a voice to many stories that would go untold.

Our white founding fathers bled and died to give us the freedoms we enjoy today. Blacks were denied many of those rights and had to fight and die to gain equality. It is simply another level of American history. If it makes you feel better, call Independence day and president's day white history days. PS I won't deny my children the lessons they will learn during black history month simply because we are white.

• Because we live in the kind of world that often leaves black people out of history, we do indeed need a month dedicated to them.

In this day an age Black History Month is very important. Maybe if we all were truly equal we wouldn't need one. But, we do. We have many days dedicated for white people. Think of Christmas, and Thanksgiving. All in all, I wish we didn't need special month, and we were all equal, but we do, and we aren't.

• Black History is American History

Black History Month is a poor excuse for a dedication to African American people in history. If the African American people in history made differences in America, it should be considered AMERICAN history and shouldn't just be taught in the shortest month of the year as a tribute to their skin color.

• Racist Month. Period.

Why should there be a black history month when there is no month for any other race? No one race should be above the others. Equality, not this. We need to end racism, not disguise it and feed it to the next generation. We are ALL Americans. Let's make a month for that.

• It fuels racism

Having different holidays specifically for any race just helps to fuels the racism. We need to take down the racial barrier not celebrate any one race but human kind as a whole. So lets get rid of black history month and change it top a month for celebrating the history of humans as a whole.

• No we should not celebrate black history month

We should just celebrate all races history into one month, that way no race is left out and it should be on a different month because February is the is a short month so it would make more sense to have it on a longer month so we can celebrate all the races in one month.

• I think no

I say no because this is just racism. We are just thinking more about blacks and whites. Its just being descriminated to the race. Lets just forget about the past and think that we are finally free. That we can go to nice schools and clean restrooms. Who cares what other people say about you, just ignore and say "This is a free country". Not quite but at least you are not being descriminated!!!!!

• It shouldn't be called Black History Month

We should not celebrate black history month or any month celebrating a certain race or ethnicity. This just keeps racism alive and keeps more people thinking of white and black and the color of there skin. It would be more acceptable if we celebrated something like American History Month. No race should a month dedicated to it, that is wrong and discriminating on other races.

• If we're all equal, why do they get a whole month dedicated to them?

If everyone is truly equal, why does one ethnic group get an entire month dedicated to them?
    If there is indeed a Native American's month, Hispanic's Month, and Women's Month (as some comments here state), I have never heard of them in my LIFE, yet there are giant posters saying "BLACK HISTORY MONTH" all over my school - as there always are in February.
    If everyone wants to be thought of as equals, they need to start acting like it.

• No, Combine all history.

I don't think we need to celebrate an entire month for a single race of people. Combine black history with every other history and teach American history, not race history.
    I support black history, but we as Americans need unify our history and stop trying to show everyone else that each race has more challenges than the next.

• No, and yes

There is no official thing as "white history month." I don't think there should be a single moth to celebrate the discoveries made by a single race. Until there is not a month to celebrate a single race, until each race is celebrated every day, can we actually be an equal people. Those who say that white people need to recognize the advances made by black people, having enslaved them, what about Jewish people? They were also treated terribly, if not even worse, and still are as descrimenated as black people. "White people" and "black people" are not each one type of person.

• Just say no.

Equality means "Of the same Value." By relegating the month of February to be a month where Black History is prevalent, we are by definition making the topic biased. This Bias says that for this period of time, ANY other groups history isn't as important as black history. This is racial inequality. I don't believe the Black Leaders of the civil rights movement wanted a month where civil rights and equality could be remembered - I think they were fighting for equality in everyday life. I believe in equality - I have for my entire life - I don't believe the advent of Black History month makes reparations for the past conflicts of racism, but I don't feel reparations are even possible in this day. I feel it's every citizen's right and duty to stand up and say, "I am an American - just like all the other other Americans I meet every day - no matter their race, background, or color of their skin. We are all equal."
    So get up, be an American, stand equally with your brother and sister Americans, and realize that the "Dream of Equality" is a reality now. Work hard to make the rest of your dreams come true - Did Black History month ever give anyone the key to their dreams? Americans do it every day of the year.