Should we continue to tell our children about Santa Clause, knowing it is false?

Asked by: JakePreyt
  • Is it really a lie or a fable?

Honestly, I don't think you're lying when telling kids about Santa Claus. I mean I think kids know it's real. It's just a lovely fable that has been bought down through the years. I say why not entertain kids. It's idealism. A lie would be saying something to deceive people, saying it's true when it's not.

• I Believe So

Think back to being an excited child running down the stairs and screaming that Santa came. If you're anything like me you jumped up and down the second that the sun rose and demanded to be taken down stairs. It is even seen as offensive to tell your kids there is no such thing too soon and most kids don't have to be told. By the age of ten I reasoned that he was nonexistent and told my parents such, as many children in my school had by that time. As for being offensive, have you ever watched the first "The Santa Clause" as the step dad tries for over a year to deny that Santa exists to this seven year old. You may feel a passion rise and realize that its a part of your childhood that you would not have traded for the world because it sustained a belief in magical things long enough for you to naturally grow out of it. It's nurturing in a way to be allowed to grow out of Santa on your own and a moment of pride for a parent when you notice your child using critical thinking for the first time without being told to.

• Yes,we should continue to tell our children about Santa Clause.

We should continue tell our children about SantaClaus for several important reasons.First of all children need to hold on to their dreams when they are children.There's no need to shatter their illusions until it is absolutely necessary.They will end up thanking you for such a good childhood that you have provided them.

• Of course. Keep that magic alive.

Yes yes we all know Christmas is about the birth of Jesus but why wouldn't you want to keep Santa alive? Santa has been around for 150 years. I don't understand a good enough reason to kill a holiday tradition. Santa was a character brought to life by the famous poem "Twas the Night Before Christmas." Children should believe in Santa. If we tell them their is no Santa, the magic in Christmas will slowly dwindle away.

• Yes and No, But mostly no.

I believe having a sense of creativity is a good thing to have with a son/daughter. It creates an amazing bond, that parents truly enjoy. But you try and teach your kids not to lie, and yes telling your kids Santa is a real person, is most definitely a lie. Most parents would disagree with me and say its a "Fib" or a "lie that is okay to tell" but they are WRONG. I would say most kids find out Santa is not real between the ages of 7-10. Therefore, you are lying to your child and or children about a man that comes down from the north pole, through your chimney and brings them presents when in reality its you. I know damn well when I found out that Santa wasn't real, I was very upset. Trust issues weren't developed, but a part of my childhood was stripped from me in a mere 30 seconds. It's just unfair to the kids.

• Think about what christmas is about

Aren't we celebrating the day Jesus was born ? That has nothing to do with St. Nicholas. I admire him for compassion in his life time and i'd tell his story to my kids on that day but i wont lie to them. Christmas should be about family being together and being thankful that a man named Jesus saved us. I will show my kids to be thankful and to cherish all the people around them that play a part in their lives and help them grow as a person.