Should we emphasize sustainability instead of growth in business?

• Sustainability is the only long term option

Business growth is a short term goal to expand the quantity of money trading hands, as well as greater position creation within companies. Growth in any industry is finite, as there is a maximum level of demand for any product or service. The best choice for an economy is to favor sustainability of businesses to provide long term employment options, instead of to create a bulk of new jobs which are unlikely to be long lasting.

• Yes We Should

I believe we do need to emphasize sustainability in business, rather than growth in business, especially for those that are established. Growth can be very important to new business, but once success is obtained, the firm should look more towards sustainability. We have many greedy corporations in the United States that want to grow beyond reason and collect large sums of money. This isn't necessary and it is hurting the economy, especially when we consider the effects of income inequality. For example, Wal-Mart does not need to make the profits it does, it should have a sustainable focus and try to provide more for their hard working employees, rather than leave them running to the family services departments for Medicaid, food stamps, and rent assistance.

• big business always win

I do not think that sustainability should be emphasized instead of growth in business. I think that while it is important to make sure that a business's success can be maintained, it is also important that all companies and corporations always strive to be better and more profitable than they were before.

• Sustainability is a sham.

No, we should not emphasize sustainability instead of growth in business, because nobody ever got a job because the business had some solar panels or a vertical garden on the wall. Sustainability is nice, but for people who don't have jobs, finding and keeping a good job is that much more important.

• No, we should emphasize growth in business.