Should we encourage the belief that kids have in Santa Claus?

• Santa spreads joy

Santa teaches kids that christmas is not just about receiving presents, it is about a time of giving to other people and not expecting anything in return. Santa helps people learn to give to other people that might be in need of stuff. Santa teaches kids the importance of christmas. He might not teach everything about christmas he still teaches the main reason of christmas, and he spreads joy in the process. When I was younger my whole family would sit by the tree and me and my brother would hand out presents addressed to them and we would all open our presents. I always felt so important, being the person that handed them the presents. It taught me that it was not just about me opening my presents, it wa about giving to other people and helping them. Even when I found out that santa wasn't real, I still carried the lesson that he taught me, christmas isn't about receiving things, it's about giving things and spending time with your loved ones.

• Santa helps spread joy

Santa has helped children for generations by teaching them what christmas is about. Christmas is about giving, santa does exactly that. Santa gives hope to children around the world during christmas time. He encourages people to give to other people without expecting anything in return. Even though santa might not help give the entire meaning in christmas, he still teaches children and adults that christmas is also a time of giving.

• Yes because there's no reason kids don't need to believe in santa.

1 reason is even if you tell you kid that Santa isn't real they will still handle it. Also kids at age 9 to 10 they just figure it by themselves that the parents are the ones that are getting the presents. Another reason is that it just brings out the kid in us and it's harmless in believing in Santa is it affecting you that some people believe still, it's not harming anyone to believe.

• Yes, you should believe

When you are a child you should have an amazing childhood. It keeps kids happy during Christmas, it doesn't make them feel depressed when they open up the presents that say from santa. They can handle knowing that santa isn't real when they are older but when they are younger.

• Magic Of Christmas

The belief that Santa Claus really exists, always gives Christmas that extra little bit of magic for me, and yet even if we know he isn't real, well it's still nice to think that he is, considering so much of Christmas revolves around the idea of "the man himself" nowadays

• Do you like the Idea of some faiths boycotting Halloween?

I believe that a kid needs to be a kid. I believe that a kid needs to believe in a little magic. I think it is harmless fun for the parents as well as the children.
    I grew up with Santa Clause, The Tooth-Fairy and the The Easter Bunny and I turned out just fine. I thoroughly enjoyed the wide-eyed excitement of my children at Christmas, Easter, and Halloween.
    I enjoyed being able to make their wishes come true as best as I could and I think it taught them how to handle disappointment when I couldn't . When they asked ME why Santa didn't bring them everything they wanted...I just explained that if they had everything they asked for ....What would there be to work towards? What would be left for them to dream about?
    I don't think its about lying or deceiving...I think it's about teaching life lessons on a level they can understand.

• Kids should believe in Santa

Yes, I think that a belief in Santa Claus for kids is nice and healthy. Believing in something like Santa that cannot be seen or touched helps kids develop their imaginations, and gets them all excited for the Christmas season. All kids should look forward to getting presents from Santa even if he's not real.

• Santa helps children that are too young to understand about Jesus be exited about Christmas.

Yes, at some point you will need to tell your kids Santa isn't real. You say it's lying? What about superman? Batman? Are comic books a lie? Creators of TV shows.. Are they lying? NO! They're trying to encourage fantasy and imagination. Santa also encourages generosity because he doesn't take things for himself. He makes kids happy, and exited when the go to bed Christmas Eve.

• Santa Teaches Generosity

"There is a huge difference between telling your child an untruth and allowing them to believe in the magic and mystery of the holidays." -Karri-Leigh Mastrangelo

This quote that best supports my argument, giving credit to the one who put it as simply as possible.
    Teaching your children the story of Jesus is vital in my opinion.. When it comes to raising your children down the path God would have us take. But the two are separate and should be taught separately. Santa is the teaching of compassion, giving to those in need, generosity. It is morally beneficial and exciting for our children. What does the easter bunny have to do with the true meaning of the easter sunday that Jesus rose.. Absolutely nothing. But it is still fun and precious to share EXTRA memories with our children other than drilling the hard core truth of the world and shoving religion down their throats. There is no right or wrong answer, but as a mother of three.. My question to you is.. Why do youb blame trust issues??????
    "Even the youngest children know that pretending and imagining are different from reality." Alison Gopnik
    http://roomfordebate.Blogs.Nytimes.Com/2009/12/22/the-truth-about-santa/

• Magic of Christmas Brings Out Kid in all of Us

Belief in Santa Claus is a magical experience. What started as a poem turned into a worldwide phenomenon of a jolly old elf dressed in a suit. How Santa gets down the chimney, flies on a sled pulled by reindeer and delivers gifts under a tree is a fun story. Eventually, kids realize Santa isn't real. But while they are young, parents should revel in the magic of the holiday season.

• I'd like credit for making my kids happy

Every year, toys and gadgets get more and more expensive and my pockets are supposed to get deeper and deeper as the promises that Santa to bring to my children what ever they desire is fed to them by the public. What happens when I have to tell my child that Santa can't make an iPad for them but can for another boys family? What about when I put someone else in those shoes? I believe that my child should learn the value of things and learn to appreciate working and earning more than receiving from a factitious man at the north pole.

• Lying only endorses Lying

When parents lie to their children, it only endorses lying. Children are products of their environment and at a very young age they are easily influenced and believe what their parents tell them. As they grow older and begin to find out the "truth" of things, the disappointment and feeling of being deceived can also make them question a parent's reliability. On a separate note, if a parent wants to give his child a gift, which he normally has to work hard for or make sacrifices to obtain, why would he want all the credit to go to a superficial, imaginary being?

• Reality Check

Many people will say that childhood is fleeting, and parents should help their children develop a strong sense of imagination. Belief in Santa Claus is indeed fun, wholesome family tradition, but should always be done with a sense of the absurd, not of the truth. If a child chooses to believe in Santa Claus, fine, but parents should not go out of their way to force the issue or feed it becomes an unhealthy immaturity.

• Santa Claus Misdirects the True Focus of Christmas

I think that pretending Santa Claus is real sends the wrong message about Christmas. For one thing, Christmas is about CHRIST. It is a religious holiday and, although it is celebrated secularly as well, Santa's popularity may detract from the spiritual aspect. It also may lead to confusion about generosity- gifts require money and/or effort, and should be given out of care for another person. Santa gives the impression that anything can be given or received in a magical way that doesn't require a personal relationship or all that much effort. Santa should be used as a parable, an example of a well-loved person who enjoys giving to others. But lying isn't needed to achieve this. It can be explained that he isn't real but that his joy in helping others (which embodies Christ's generosity and love for us) is what we should strive for.

• More harm than good

The idea of someone giving to the world with no return (outside of cookies and milk) is definitely a solid message but in this case it's built on a lie. Why connect a good principle to a lie you know they will eventually find out about and potentially associate the two to the point that they message itself is a lie too. Why not teach them about actual heroes doing real selfless acts can show them that any person is capable of kindness at any time rather than only a magical, immortal guy who only decides to give one night of the year. I know some will argue about fairy tales but in that respect it's never anything but just that, a fairy tale. With Santa rather than treating a fairy tail as a fairy tale he is treated as fact. If you want to tell your kids about santa as fact, I think you stick to the actual story of St Nicholas and if you want to add a little magic for the sake of childhood wonderment then you can do so without making such a broad effort to keep them from finding out the magic isn't real.

• Kids should not be encouraged to believe in Santa.

When I was 5 my mom and dad said that santa was not real. I strongly believed that Santa Claus was real. When they told me I was so mad because they were the ones that told me that he was real. That is why kids should not believe in Santa Claus

• I Think No

I strongly disagree that we should encourage the belief in Santa Claus to kids. It's not real and it's a lie. It might wear off and maybe hit them at a certain age. They may start to doubt. They should know and that doesn't mean they can't or won't have fun in it still.

• I Think No

• I Think No

• I Think No